Portion control 🥑

Consistent quality sleep 🛌

Staying injury-free and supple 🧘‍♂️

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay away from the addictive-type foods and drink; the ones that you can eat for no reason.
As a famous LCHF Prof once said, "perpetual hunger".

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

The answer is caloric deficit.

You are better off getting (and using) a calorie counter app, cut out sugar and importantly, avoid liquid calories.

So many people track what they eat and not what they drink. The sugar/calorie count in most drinks is massive.

The keto state/fasting exercising is all the rage but wont do anything noticeable if you don't maintain a caloric defecit or binge eat/drink.

A sustainable lifestyle and eating/drinking habits are better than anything that promises 'fat burning'. 

+1

You are better off getting (and using) a calorie counter app.

A counter is not that accurate, but will get one close enough.

Another problem is that energy expenditure often doesn't deduct the calories burnt at rest. This means the workout amount will be slightly lower.

The answer is caloric deficit.

You are better off getting (and using) a calorie counter app, cut out sugar and importantly, avoid liquid calories.

So many people track what they eat and not what they drink. The sugar/calorie count in most drinks is massive.

The keto state/fasting exercising is all the rage but wont do anything noticeable if you don't maintain a caloric defecit or binge eat/drink.

A sustainable lifestyle and eating/drinking habits are better than anything that promises 'fat burning'. 

i.e. you can't out-train a bad diet

What worked for me and everybody is different, 

32gi endure works well for zone1 and 2, kick start by taking in at least 30g of carbs in the first 20min to kick start the metabolism and then just sip on it while riding, after 6 monts you will be riding 4 hours with just 1 bottle and water and burning fat all the way.

Does feedback from a skinny bloke that has manged to go even more skinny count less or more in this analysis?

I reduced my daily Calories and actually experienced less hunger by doing:

1. Portion controlled lunch.
  2. Single plate of dinner.
  3. Better and smarter snacking.

I used to try and avoid snacking as much as possible since I associated it with junk (muffins / rusks / chips). I would be starving come lunch time and smash a huge lunch. I would be starving come dinner time and smash two plates. Now I snack before I'm hungry and as a result my hunger is evened out and my Calories are lower. I eat 5-7 fruit servings, some nuts, or wholewheat seedloaf every day as snacks.

This was the first and easiest step that also paid the most dividends.
I've done more to reach a weight a haven't seen in 11 years.

Eating protein requires more energy to digest, so burns more calories. It's hard to eat, which is why you feel fuller after eating protein high foods.

Insulin sparks hunger, and consuming a high simple carbohydrate diet is going to spike your insulin, making you hungrier. So you eat more and the circle keeps turning.

So if you aren't training/racing lay off the carbs; especially the processed stuff.
If you are training (HIT) then fuel on the fats and carbs for the session.

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

I'm in two minds on the HR thing, yes you burn a higher % fat at lower HR, BUT you use a lot more energy in a shorter time at higher HR.

So, short high intensity high HR vs very long slow lower HR can provide the same energy consumption.  Burn more energy than you stuff down your throat and you will loose wait regardless of HR zones. 

Low HR activities taps into your body's fat reserves as opposed to glycogen as an energy source. But yes, at low HR over 30mins you're not losing anything as the total calories consumed is low, hence you need to ride for long, 2-3hrs to gain a worthwhile advantage