Incident Total garage on Malibongwe

_David_

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Comrade J said:

Would be more than happy to contribute if the funds were being paid directly to HJW Attorneys, 

No idea if they are or not, just saw this on a FB feed

6 minutes ago, Comrade J said:

Would be more than happy to contribute if the funds were being paid directly to HJW Attorneys, 

This is not a bad idea? Also leaving room for those who can not afford the jersey, contributing even R50.00 for something they believe in. 

12 minutes ago, shaper said:

No idea if they are or not, just saw this on a FB feed

Is it not the wife of the critically injured cyclist? 

53 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You’re mixing what happened last week, with what happened today.

Thanks, I wasn't aware – I looked at the date the article was posted on and it said today. But I now see it says "Updated Feb 7" (although it's hard to tell what is new information).

2 hours ago, shaper said:

May be an image of text that says "JUSTICE FOR JEAN ANDRE Justice for Jéan & André cycling shirts R 970 per shirt R 150 delivery SHIRT SIZE CHEST SIZE XX SMALL W// 89 CM X SMALL NV 92 CM SMALL 95 CM MEDIUM CM LARGE 101 CM X LARGE XX LARGE 104.5 CM 108.5 CM BANKING DETAILS Account Holder Simeon du Preez Bank: Nedbank Account Number: 1205261192 Branch code: 198 765 ORDER PROCESS Email simeondupreez@gmail.com Name and surname •Delivery address (alternatively arrange for collection -Info@otrdesigns.co.za) .Number and size of shirts .Proof payment (Use name and surname as reference)"

Not sure how to post this without it being taken in the wrong vain.

Think it is a great idea but perhaps better spent or focused on cyclist that might not have had the public profile?

Is the money going towards

Legal fees

Non profit perhaps for families that might not have access to this?

Edited by Spy007

4 hours ago, Comrade J said:

Sadly this case will go nowhere 3months to investigate, .....,he still had to be arrested, charged and then released on bail.

1(a) An accused who is in custody in respect of an offense shall,  subject to the provisions of section 50 (6), be entitled to be released on bail at any stage preceding his or her conviction in respect of such offense, if the court is satisfied that the interests of justice so permit.

A person arrested for culpable homicide after a traffic collision, or for drunk driving where he caused the death of another person, cannot without the above grounds be kept in custody without being entitled to be released on bail.

Sadly , I agree. 

At best a slap on the wrist, some community service blah blah.

happily eat my hat if proven otherwise. H

18 hours ago, PygaSchmyga said:

Who is this guy - what is actually known about him?

Using publicly available knowledge this is the first hit on Google.

https://www.linkedin.com/mwlite/in/katlego-nyatlo-48377016b

From Limpopo, lives in Joburg. Doesn't seem like the type of business career that gets you a Porsche at age 30 but i suppose there are non traditional ways of extreme wealth accumulation these days.

Edited by Shebeen

9 hours ago, Shebeen said:

From Limpopo, lives in Joburg. Doesn't seem like the type of business career that gets you a Porsche at age 30 but i suppose there are non traditional ways of extreme with accumulation these days.

or just tons of debt and a banker that accepted a bribe for approving the loan.

9 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

or just tons of debt and a banker that accepted a bribe for approving the loan.

bloody revolutionary! Those are the tried and tested roads to success - ask any ANC cadre!

11 hours ago, Shebeen said:

From Limpopo, lives in Joburg. Doesn't seem like the type of business career that gets you a Porsche at age 30 but i suppose there are non traditional ways of extreme with accumulation these days.

From the pics it doesnt look like a new Porsche, so possibly rather used. Those Cayennes depreciate alot more than their sporty coupe counter parts. Also looks like a non sporty version of the Cayenne which is even more undesirable on the used market.

23 hours ago, Frosty said:

I’m searching for that post, as well as the source docs that might still be on our NAS drive. It was published, so is out there. I just need to find it.

Edit: found one from 2006/7.

+/- 350 cyclists per year.

I’ll keep looking.

ED4F1BDD-6182-4674-899C-680AC630B445.png.f0dc701e512eb3a0339c2bdbc9ae9139.png

What makes these stats even worse is that the amount of Bicycle related fatalities year on year exceeds the amount of Motorcycle fatalities by a substantial margin. Consider this in the light of how motorcyclists drive, weaving in and out of traffic and the odd case of hooliganism which results in self inflicted injury or worse. (relax people, I am not dissing motorcyclists, ek sê maar net). 

I have come across many motorcycle fatalities in my 10 years in Cape Town, but even then, according to the trend in these stats, all that is being highlighted albeit not explicitly so, is the blatant disregard for anyone on a bicycle. I suppose it could have something to do with motorcyclists being able to accelerate away at sufficient speed to not be an annoyance to other road users.

15 hours ago, Spy007 said:

Not sure how to post this without it being taken in the wrong vain.

Think it is a great idea but perhaps better spent or focused on cyclist that might not have had the public profile?

Is the money going towards

Legal fees

Non profit perhaps for families that might not have access to this?

Or we can buy the shirt as an awareness campaign , custom shirts without some form of sponsorship cost about that, so cant be a very lucrative.  

This thread seems to have moved FAR far away from the original tragic accident of two riders taken out in the "safety" of the yellow lane, by what is reported to be a possibly drunk driver .... (tried to stay with the correct terms, rather than the emotional ones ....)

The last posts seems to deal with the general disregard for the law, from drivers and riders alike.

This morning's commute was a nice long one adding a decent detour, and getting to see a lot more cyclists and drivers.  The route is deliberately chosen as it has a shoulder for most of the way, for some peace of mind.

Yes, some cars skips stop streets and run red robots .....

Yes, some have their breakfast and coffee while driving ... some even do their make-up while holding the cell to the ear, while sipping coffee .... some seriously talented drivers out there :cursing:

BUT .... as a cyclist out on my bicycle I had to shake my head at the behaviour of some cyclists ...

- Dark clothes, no lights, riding in thick mist ...

- Two cyclists approaching a RED robot, glancing to the right, and just carry on without slowing down, turning left .... now they may have been safe in doing that .... the other cyclists coming through the green robot, at a good turn of speed on the downhill had to swerve in front of cars to avoid ramming these two .....  CYCLISTS endangering other cyclists lives !  I would hate to think what that car driving is telling his friends today about cyclists ....

- Coming down Durban road, which was seriously busy by now, the cyclist ahead of me put out his right arm ... and proceeds to swerve across FOUR lanes full of cars !!  This must rate as one of theeeee most idiotic moves I have ever seen !!  50m further he could have crossed perfectly safe, or just slow down and wait for the bunch of cars to pass.

Nothing "we do" can protect us from dronk gatte ..... or high speed cell operators ....

But sure as heck there IS a lot we can do to improve our odds.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

This thread seems to have moved FAR far away from the original tragic accident of two riders taken out in the "safety" of the yellow lane, by what is reported to be a possibly drunk driver .... (tried to stay with the correct terms, rather than the emotional ones ....)

The last posts seems to deal with the general disregard for the law, from drivers and riders alike.

This morning's commute was a nice long one adding a decent detour, and getting to see a lot more cyclists and drivers.  The route is deliberately chosen as it has a shoulder for most of the way, for some peace of mind.

Yes, some cars skips stop streets and run red robots .....

Yes, some have their breakfast and coffee while driving ... some even do their make-up while holding the cell to the ear, while sipping coffee .... some seriously talented drivers out there :cursing:

BUT .... as a cyclist out on my bicycle I had to shake my head at the behaviour of some cyclists ...

- Dark clothes, no lights, riding in thick mist ...

- Two cyclists approaching a RED robot, glancing to the right, and just carry on without slowing down, turning left .... now they may have been safe in doing that .... the other cyclists coming through the green robot, at a good turn of speed on the downhill had to swerve in front of cars to avoid ramming these two .....  CYCLISTS endangering other cyclists lives !  I would hate to think what that car driving is telling his friends today about cyclists ....

- Coming down Durban road, which was seriously busy by now, the cyclist ahead of me put out his right arm ... and proceeds to swerve across FOUR lanes full of cars !!  This must rate as one of theeeee most idiotic moves I have ever seen !!  50m further he could have crossed perfectly safe, or just slow down and wait for the bunch of cars to pass.

Nothing "we do" can protect us from dronk gatte ..... or high speed cell operators ....

But sure as heck there IS a lot we can do to improve our odds.

This isn't a we and them thing, it's a behavioural issue and that's all your severely anecdotal observations brings. It's also distraction from actual thread at hand.