Horror second hand buys

mecheng89

After @Frosty displayed his wrecked thru axle, it made me wonder - who else out there may have bought second hand, only to discover some unwelcome surprises (which the seller did not point out before exchanging goods)?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I bought a cracked frame before

I bought a multiple fractured mtb for my cousin before...never play the middle man and never buy a carbon bike without inspection.

Have not been on the recieving end, but I dod sell a bike last year that had a cracked wheel, I didnt know it was cracked, the buyer informed me, sent me pics, I sent them to the wheel manufacturer, they sent a warranty replacement which I then forwarded to the buyer and payed for the wheel rebuild...

I think that is was the right way to handle it...

3 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Have not been on the recieving end, but I dod sell a bike last year that had a cracked wheel, I didnt know it was cracked, the buyer informed me, sent me pics, I sent them to the wheel manufacturer, they sent a warranty replacement which I then forwarded to the buyer and payed for the wheel rebuild...

I think that is was the right way to handle it...

I also sold a cracked wheel the one time, I also did not know it was cracked but after the buyer informed me I just paid for a new hoop. Fortunately he was a wheel builder 😁

I don't know if it classifies as "horror" but I bought a bike that was "recently serviced".

All looked good at first.

List of things that I needed to do:

Fork lowers service, all frame bearings needed to be replaced, new BB, brake pads, chain...

It was an expensive exercise.

Been waiting for a thread like this...

Bought a bike for good money at Cash Converters (1st mistake), thing has constantly broken and given trouble and the store declines to honor their advertised 6 months guarantee.

I suspect the Store owner / Manager is actually the previous owner and sold it when it started to give trouble... I bought it from them expecting a bit of peace of mind for at least 6 months, so far has cost me R1100 and a quote for R3000 to replace bad brake levers and I can't even ride it.

Currently reported them to every Consumer Rights group and place I could find, including The Devi Show, Wendy Knowler, Carte Blanche, etc and await a response.

Buying second hand is always a risk. I know more or less what to look for, but even that didn’t help me. Small things like the bearings on the freehub.

Brake levers were actually forced when the Torx key broke off in the caliper while trying to bleed the brakes. Crap brakes anyway, so not really a problem to replace them. 

The frame is in good condition, so can’t really complain.

45 minutes ago, AllenH said:

Been waiting for a thread like this...

Bought a bike for good money at Cash Converters (1st mistake), thing has constantly broken and given trouble and the store declines to honor their advertised 6 months guarantee.

I suspect the Store owner / Manager is actually the previous owner and sold it when it started to give trouble... I bought it from them expecting a bit of peace of mind for at least 6 months, so far has cost me R1100 and a quote for R3000 to replace bad brake levers and I can't even ride it.

Currently reported them to every Consumer Rights group and place I could find, including The Devi Show, Wendy Knowler, Carte Blanche, etc and await a response.

I also bought a bike from them before. (Also a big mistake). It was a carbon 26er. I dont know the right terms for this part, but the part where the bottom bracket screws into the frame, that whole piece broke lose from the carbon 😂. So when I tried to tighten the BB, It just kept turning in circles…. So we learn..

Bought a Stages crank. Worked for half a ride. Seller told me to give it in to Omnico to check it out. Omnico told me it was water damage, and offered me a replacement at cost. Seller then told me its still a good deal when taken into consideration the money I paid him and the money I paid Omnico is still cheaper than a new one. 

What should have been a R3000 bargain turned into a R10 000 "bargain". 

26 minutes ago, no calves said:

Bought a Stages crank. Worked for half a ride. Seller told me to give it in to Omnico to check it out. Omnico told me it was water damage, and offered me a replacement at cost. Seller then told me its still a good deal when taken into consideration the money I paid him and the money I paid Omnico is still cheaper than a new one. 

That's a great deal, can I have two :stupid:

48 minutes ago, no calves said:

Possible that it was 100% at time of sale and coincidentally packed up during first ride.? 🤷‍♂️

Don't know, but had had a similar experience some time ago.  🙈

I also unfortunately sold a bike recently with a cracked handlebar which I didn’t know about. Replaced it with an Alu bar to which the buyer was fine. The one that cracked was discontinued, so couldn’t replace with the same. But I felt terrible about the whole thing.