My brand new is not your brand new

LazyTrailRider

Sorry dude, did you get any pics of the item before you purchased? As others have said, best to check it in person. Also rouxtjie rules. 

I prefer to buy local and go and the see the item. If its not local then I would try and get as many pics as possible from the seller. Some sellers dont like this and this is when the possible sale falls away.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

Call me cynical, but I would never buy anything valued at more than R100 from anyone without it being in person. The worlds too full of d!cks.

Generally, I've been a combination of lucky and thorough. I've bought three cars (one was R500k) and a Stumpy from across the country without seeing them in person, this was a sloppy evaluation from my side which I should have been more careful with... 🙄

11 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Sorry dude, did you get any pics of the item before you purchased? 

Yes, but I mistook the "bubbles" on the Christmas theme watch face for the bubbles from a screen protector still fitted, which in a hurry my brain told me means it clearly still had to be very new...

5 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Yes, but I mistook the "bubbles" on the Christmas theme watch face for the bubbles from a screen protector still fitted, which in a hurry my brain told me means it clearly still had to be very new...

Change your username to "ExtremelyDiligentTrailRider" to set the precedent for your next purchase.

It's incredible how people are prepared to put their reputation on the line just to get a quick sale. Nothing wrong with being honest and describe the state of goods for sale in an accurate way. 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

One could say, that 'face value' is somewhat marred? 

That communication at face value barely 'scratched the surface' of whom you were dealing with?

One definitely needs to 'watch' out for this type of thing...........

From his lense, he really thought it was brand new. Dude should get his quality meter dialed in.

Edited by M L
typo

This is quite an interesting social discussion.

I figure the watch is worth probably R1,500 less in its current condition.

Is a man's/couple's reputation really worth R1,500?

In this online world people will find you (as demonstrated here). We know exactly who the couple is. Did they really think they'd shaft someone and stay invisible?

In my view the way the seller and his wife acted (very poorly I might add), is character based and they will always act this way i.e. a mistake you can correct but character you can't. Give them a sh11ty review and lets make sure they don't trade here again!

Maybe that will motivate them to refund and sell the item under its accurate representation and compensate the buyer.

This sort of thing really annoys me. If my wife was a cyclist and I sold on her behalf, I would be WELL aware of the condition of said item, they appear to be covering for eachother?

What goes around, comes around and I sincerely hope that this dishonest seller experiences that!

Most definitely false advertising. Although this will not help you it is obvious that most and all here feel that these 2 individuals are boxes. I hope that this comes back to bite them in the behind.

On the one hand I feel to say take them to small claims court, but in reality I think that is not the best way to go. I hope the sellor and his wife reads this thread and will sort of understand that they handled this like boxes, but I doubt it.

I for one will never ever do any business with either of them.

Sorry for the disappointment.

Can I ask an offsides question please?

What is so wonderful about a Fenix that one would risk this sort of disappointment when you can get a new Instinct or even a Suunto 9 for less? That someone hasn't sweated all over and used as a kneepad.

https://www.takealot.com/suunto-9-baro-sports-watch-charcoal-titanium/PLID72466377

https://www.takealot.com/garmin-instinct-rugged-outdoor-smartwatch-graphite/PLID54854154

Edited by Duane_Bosch

20 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I think therein lies a clue (I know, easy to see in hindsight).

But if I were to hazard a guess, the pics posted in the ad may be from Christmas (5 or even 17+ months ago) when the watch was received as a gift, and a braggy photoshoot ensued, unrelated to the advertising of said item (5 days ago).

Again an element of misleading/false advertising, intentional or not.

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Sorry for the disappointment.

Can I ask an offsides question please?

What is so wonderful about a Fenix that one would risk this sort of disappointment when you can get a new Instinct or even a Suunto 9 for less? That someone hasn't sweated all over and used as a kneepad.

https://www.takealot.com/suunto-9-baro-sports-watch-charcoal-titanium/PLID72466377

https://www.takealot.com/garmin-instinct-rugged-outdoor-smartwatch-graphite/PLID54854154

As with most things, there are a few factors.

Personally, I don't think a current-gen Fenix is worth the asking price (not for me, at least). But at this price I was keen if it was actually in "brand new condition" and not sweated on more than a few times because as far as the Instinct goes:

• I have dainty wrists and the Instinct is far too bulky and military-looking for me. This actually goes for the full Fenix also.
  • I like colour screens.

I actually really like Suunto's styling, including their layout and typefaces, so it would be a great option except that:

• I need to be able to pair and broadcast HR to my Edge (because that's what I use on my road rides).
  • I use Garmin Connect to sync all my data in one place.
  • It doesn't have NFC for tap-to-pay.
Edited by LazyTrailRider
Added NFC

This guy was part of the bikehub for 9 years with no posts. He's gonna close his account and move onto a new one I'm sure. We need to phone number posted at least.