Good people do exist

cadenceblur

Thought I'd share a positive experience whilst out riding today...
I was on side of the road about to fix a puncture when a fellow cyclist (gentleman by the name of Mario)stopped to enquire if all was good.
I assured him that it was and explained that I had a puncture (my second for the morning!)
He then insisted that he assist in changing the tube explaining that he works at Complete Cyclist in Hout Bay so it was no bother.

A really great guy, he must be a real asset at the bike shop as well.

My faith in reality restored!

I’ll use your thread to share my good people story from today if that’s ok with you. 

also standing on the side of the road fixing a puncture this morning when a couple in a car stopped to make sure I was ok and if I needed a lift or anything. 

There are still good people around. 

5 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Thought I'd share a positive experience whilst out riding today...
I was on side of the road about to fix a puncture when a fellow cyclist (gentleman by the name of Mario)stopped to enquire if all was good.
I assured him that it was and explained that I had a puncture (my second for the morning!)
He then insisted that he assist in changing the tube explaining that he works at Complete Cyclist in Hout Bay so it was no bother.

A really great guy, he must be a real asset at the bike shop as well.

My faith in reality restored!

Awesome stuff Mario 👏 

Super Mario !!!!

Had a puncture at traffic lights at Ocean View a while ago when a lady in a car turned around pulled in next to me asked if I was ok and stayed put till I was back on the bike again. There are those out there - more than gems.

Did the same for a lady cyclist I passed on the side of the road last week.
she had already changed her punctured tube and accidentally punctured her only replacement…. So I gave her mine and also showed her how to replace the tube  without using tyre levers (she had a small metal tyre lever that was part of a multi tool thing, which I’m sure caused the second puncture. 

No I didn’t get her name, even tho she asked how she can replace my tube, I said it’s karma, next time you stop and help someone else….

I was riding up Tiekiedraai back when cycling past Dunoon was not life threatening. As I passed Durbanville Hills I heard that familiar ping a snapping spoke makes.

As I passed Hillcrest I suddenly came to a jarring halt as the spoke managed to collect the derailleur and drag it into the wheel.

As I noticed that riding was no longer an option, I shouldered the bike and started walking back to the Hillcrest gate. I made it about 3 steps when suddenly a lady driving a Hilux stopped and offered me a lift. I politely declined, but she insisted and took me all the way home to Sunningdale.

I can't recall her name, but her act of kindness has never made me forget. She was on the way to the beach with her daughter and saw a cyclist in need and without so much as hesitation offered to assist. 

I had a puncture on Atlas rd on Saturday morning . While fixing it every cyclist who rode past asked if I was ok or if i needed help ( i didn't realize I looked so useless LOL ) Thanks  to all those who asked or recognized my "Cranky Old Bastard Jersey "  and offered help . I will never ride past a stranded cyclist without offering assistance . 

Km 34 of a solo double century in July 2021, en route to Malmesbury, I pick up a big rear tyre cut that couldn’t seal. My hands weren’t working so lekka with the 3 degree chill on the open winter plains.

Hoping for the best with a gentle wave, this auntie in her Hilux stops and lifts me back to within 1 km of my LBS, allowing me to replace my toobless tyre. Her two small dogs sat right next to me for some much needed warmth as I was cooling down fast.
BTW, yoh, it was the last tyre they had in stock and they largely service mountain bikers. 
Yip, do not be misled by the doomsday newsreel or the pessimistic headlines that the world is on fire. There’s beauty all around us, if you look for it. 🥰

72971202-432C-4B65-A909-56A43DE1582A.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

10 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Km 34 of a solo double century in July 2021, en route to Malmesbury, I pick up a big rear tyre cut that couldn’t seal. My hands weren’t working so lekka with the 3 degree chill on the open winter plains.

Hoping for the best with a gentle wave, this auntie in her Hilux stops and lifts me back to within 1 km of my LBS, allowing me to replace my toobless tyre. Her two small dogs sat right next to me for some much needed warmth as I was cooling down fast.
BTW, yoh, it was the last tyre they had in stock and they largely service mountain bikers. 
Yip, do not be misled by the doomsday newsreel or the pessimistic headlines that the world is on fire. There’s beauty all around us, if you look for it. 🥰

Both things are true - acts of kindness, selflessness, sacrifice for others and any history book reads like a newsreel of atrocities. The same animal that composed Beethoven's ninth dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. So interesting. 

It wasn't Darwin but I can't remember who said "Man is a creature with the aspiration of an angel and the instincts of a beast".

Cyclists are only beasts on bikes of course.

18 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Pay it forward because one day it's you that has the wrong spares and can't fix the bike. Nice to know people still help out.

Agreed.
I dont want my tube or bomb replaced - the condition is that you pay it forward.
And hopefully that comes back to me one day when I need it.

44 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Both things are true - acts of kindness, selflessness, sacrifice for others and any history book reads like a newsreel of atrocities. The same animal that composed Beethoven's ninth dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. So interesting. 

It wasn't Darwin but I can't remember who said "Man is a creature with the aspiration of an angel and the instincts of a beast".

Cyclists are only beasts on bikes of course.

Carl Jung would agree, Bruuuu 😑

27 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Carl Jung would agree, Bruuuu 😑

and I don't think he even rode a bike.