Bike boom - is it over?

Headshot

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wahoo do have the pedals and GPS's to keep them going and with like most things cycling related a proportionate of cyclists always want the newest so sales should tick over.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

this is a telling graph - peleton share price

image.png.21dc862c669ec28b27b6a12ef1e47499.png

I dont think the peloton share price can be used as an accurate measure.

Firstly they are a dedicated stationary bike, most people choose to rather have a trainer they can put their bike on.

Secondly they were affected a fair bit by 2 TV shows where their product had negative connotations attached to them.

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

https://www.go2berg.co.za/ride-2023-overview/ride-2023/

Okay, its not over. A cool R50k +per team

Early bird saves you a whole 2K though .... but then if you want your own tent you need to pay + 2.6k per person. Now are these little two man tents they want to shove you and your race partner in as per person paying 25+K to do an event?

image.png.d66e28121ffd980cdbe104c83bbd67c8.png

To be fair, I'm paying R19k for 2 for three days of Sani2C next year. Extrapolating that to 7 days gets me to R45k, so it's not that different per day to Sani. I personally wouldn't pay that to ride my bike for 7 days, but it is within a few hundred rand a day of the price of Sani 

13 minutes ago, BigDL said:

To be fair, I'm paying R19k for 2 for three days of Sani2C next year. Extrapolating that to 7 days gets me to R45k, so it's not that different per day to Sani. I personally wouldn't pay that to ride my bike for 7 days, but it is within a few hundred rand a day of the price of Sani 

Do you get your own tent at Sani ..... or do you have to pay extra not to share?

On 7/28/2022 at 5:21 AM, Matt said:

Closer to home, on Bike Hub the second hand marketplace offers some interesting indicators. 

Anecdotally we're seeing a taming in the inflated pricing on second hand bikes, presumably as stock of new bikes normalises and perhaps a signal of waning demand in general.

Can I ask how this is being determined? Are you seeing ads being relisted with adjusted prices, or is the value of sales down will number of trades is consistent, or are are you seeing the gap between listed price and price paid (accurately reflected in bike pay) decreasing?

or is BH advanced enough to analyse every list price against an index and determine whether prices are exorbitant or not?

On 8/2/2022 at 11:56 PM, Schnavel said:

I agree with this - our perception of what is considered to be a decent bicycle in South Africa, is somewhat skewed. 

Something I noted in most places in Europe is that very few people have the fancy top of the range bikes. I was very hard pressed to find any bikes with Dura-Ace or Red, or Sworks. The majority of bikes were kitted out with 105 mechanical or lower. For some reason, South Africa is somewhat of a niche market in that everyone only wants to have the best equipment possible (di2, AXS).

Countries are very different, as are the markets. In Europe many people can’t afford to buy a property, whereas in SA many people do as property is more affordable. If you just renting, you less likely to splash out.

Then for those who do own, living in a world of low interest rates, you can actually see the difference a few hundred dollar or euro makes to you mortgage. So people tend to try pay that down. Throw a few hundred rand at you bond in SA and nothing happens. 

Then you get the another side here in Canada. Many people rent in the city or live out in the sticks because property is so expensive in the city. Yet these same people have many toys, like mastercraft boats as an example. Why? Because with $100k you can do little property wise, but you can buy something that lets you have fun and enjoy life, like a boat. In SA for the price of a mastercraft boat you can buy an apartment.

People will do what they want with their money. At some point in our lives we end up regretting most decisions we have made, it’s just a matter of when this will happen to us.

9 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

Countries are very different, as are the markets. In Europe many people can’t afford to buy a property, whereas in SA many people do as property is more affordable. If you just renting, you less likely to splash out.

Then for those who do own, living in a world of low interest rates, you can actually see the difference a few hundred dollar or euro makes to you mortgage. So people tend to try pay that down. Throw a few hundred rand at you bond in SA and nothing happens. 

Then you get the another side here in Canada. Many people rent in the city or live out in the sticks because property is so expensive in the city. Yet these same people have many toys, like mastercraft boats as an example. Why? Because with $100k you can do little property wise, but you can buy something that lets you have fun and enjoy life, like a boat. In SA for the price of a mastercraft boat you can buy an apartment.

People will do what they want with their money. At some point in our lives we end up regretting most decisions we have made, it’s just a matter of when this will happen to us.

I would bet Wouts left nut that the home ownership percentage in Canada is way higher than South Africa  - and I guess in most cities those who work there can’t afford to own there and in SA those same workers can’t afford a bike never mind a sexy mastercraft boat 

but most importantly I really hope you don’t reflect on your decisions too regretfully - life’s short try make decent decisions and learn from the poor ones and be a happy mountain goat

29 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I would bet Wouts left nut that the home ownership percentage in Canada is way higher than South Africa  - and I guess in most cities those who work there can’t afford to own there and in SA those same workers can’t afford a bike never mind a sexy mastercraft boat 

but most importantly I really hope you don’t reflect on your decisions too regretfully - life’s short try make decent decisions and learn from the poor ones and be a happy mountain goat

Home ownership has been taken over by foreign investors. Buy house and convert them into multi family homes, or  to build town homes

It’s not uncommon for people with a 2 bedroom to rent out a second room, or for people to sign rental agreements together. Craigslist is full of people looking to rent together or sublet rooms. Ownership is an issue.

On the regret, not yet, but I’m sure Iain time I will have some. For now, life is great - I have a good job, own a place (or at least the bank does), have three bicycles and a motorbike, but this has all taken sacrifice. I could have travelled more, been more flashy and spent money more on having fun, possibly have a family to support (something I have not prioritized again after a failed marriage), but I chosen to try build a future. 

1 hour ago, sirmoun10goat said:

Home ownership has been taken over by foreign investors. Buy house and convert them into multi family homes, or  to build town homes

It’s not uncommon for people with a 2 bedroom to rent out a second room, or for people to sign rental agreements together. Craigslist is full of people looking to rent together or sublet rooms. Ownership is an issue.

On the regret, not yet, but I’m sure Iain time I will have some. For now, life is great - I have a good job, own a place (or at least the bank does), have three bicycles and a motorbike, but this has all taken sacrifice. I could have travelled more, been more flashy and spent money more on having fun, possibly have a family to support (something I have not prioritized again after a failed marriage), but I chosen to try build a future. 

Is your deduction based on fact or is it anecdotal based on what you see?

Statistics from Canada say that 65% of people own their homes there.... That is super high. 

In SA, house share is also super popular. Digs. It's popular everywhere, especially amongst unmarried people. I also know a number of families who rent large properties and share in a sort of commune, sharing home schooling and everything else. 

This might be the trend, but the base line stats show that it's scratching the surface. Trends seem to appear far larger than they actually are as it represents current shifts/changes. But thrown up against the big picture it is smaller than it seems.

The Canada statistics show a very high home ownership by Canadian nationals.

11 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

Can I ask how this is being determined? Are you seeing ads being relisted with adjusted prices, or is the value of sales down will number of trades is consistent, or are are you seeing the gap between listed price and price paid (accurately reflected in bike pay) decreasing?

or is BH advanced enough to analyse every list price against an index and determine whether prices are exorbitant or not?

As I'd mentioned, this was purely an anecdotal observation rather than being based on firm data. 

7 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

This is a reality with people of my age that I have seen where they fall short.