Cost of doing the CTCT

nikki

I was wondering typically what is the total cost of doing the CTCT. Including flights to and from Joburg, accommodation for 3 days in CT, cost of transporting bike to CT, cost of the entry, food etc

I'd be interested to know

32 minutes ago, nikki said:

I was wondering typically what is the total cost of doing the CTCT. Including flights to and from Joburg, accommodation for 3 days in CT, cost of transporting bike to CT, cost of the entry, food etc

I'd be interested to know

Flights you looking at R4500; if you book in advance this cost can be reduced to R2600
Accommodation - R3500 (booking.com can give you a good indication around CPT accommodation)
Car rental - R2200  (Class A) plus fuel cost
Bike transport - R1250 ~ R1350 (Pickfords, Joggies)
Entertainment - R2000 ~ R2500
Entry CTCT - R800
Adhoc expenses - R2000
Budget between R12k to R14k

Flights and accommodation cost me R3500. I am on multiply private club so that is discounted by 40%. I flew safair and stayed at the protea hotel breakwater at the waterfront in the smallest room suitable for only a couple.

Car hire my Dad paid for but it was about R1500 for a class A(smallest) from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon(again got a decent discount through multiply). Fuel, we literally only drove from airport to hotel and back(we walked to expo and waterfront for everything). Filled up at the BP by the airport and it was 100 bucks.

Bike transport was R1600 for a tandem. Single bike is often cheaper.

Entry ???? flip I can't even remember, maybe a grand????

Food, that is hard to say as we all do things differently. We obviously were not able to cook ourselves at all so "ate out" with every meal.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

With my brother having semigrated to CT (Higgovale) from George, looking at doing CTCT next year. Last did it in 2013. 

Only really need to worry about flights but for a family of 4, still an expensive outlay.  +/- R11000 if booked way in advance. Will need to work on the wife and kids to get a dad only pass for the weekend.

3 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

With my brother having semigrated to CT (Higgovale) from George, looking at doing CTCT next year. Last did it in 2013. 

Only really need to worry about flights but for a family of 4, still an expensive outlay.  +/- R11000 if booked way in advance. Will need to work on the wife and kids to get a dad only pass for the weekend.

The benefit of flying to Joburg for the 94.7 - family not particularly keen to join the trip to Mordor so getting a dad only pass much easier 🤣

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Car hire my Dad paid for but it was about R1500 for a class A(smallest) from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon(again got a decent discount through multiply). Fuel, we literally only drove from airport to hotel and back(we walked to expo and waterfront for everything). Filled up at the BP by the airport and it was 100 bucks.

Why not just Uber if you're not needing a car?

36 minutes ago, dirtypot said:

Why not just Uber if you're not needing a car?

I did the Uber thing on previous CTCT's before semigrating.

It is a great option to a hire car , There is no need to find venues or parking ! . you can have that 2nd glass of wine with dinner Etc , 

The cost is much the same 

Edited by Milosh

There is a nice option coming up next weekend for those looking at doing Emperors classic and die groot trap separated by a week on 26-Mar / 2-Apr.

Both race entries are R980 (R490 ea.)

Flights are around R3500 including handling for Sports equipment.

Accom / meals / transport aside, great if you have people in JHB who appreciate your visits 😆

We were a group of three Valies going to Cape Town. Entries: the cheap option, paid just in time. Tannie Ansie's department.

Accomodation:R7110.00 for a guesthouse in Greenpoint. 3 nights, breakfast included. Was very nice. That was my department.

And a night in Victoria-West because we started at 12:00 in Potch on Thursday. School stuff, don't ask🙄. R900.00

Fuel for the Stepway: thumbsuck around R4000.00, I guess. Not my department.

Spending money: R2000.00. Expo times it's go big to go home😂.

Entertainment: a fellow hubber from Belville🤔😏 treated us to magnificent views and rides and trails. 

Food and drink: around R1000.00

Some would say an expensive trip. But... my only holiday in a year away from home. And the experiences and friendships: priceless!!

6 hours ago, FaizelSalie_01 said:

Flights you looking at R4500; if you book in advance this cost can be reduced to R2600
Accommodation - R3500 (booking.com can give you a good indication around CPT accommodation)
Car rental - R2200  (Class A) plus fuel cost
Bike transport - R1250 ~ R1350 (Pickfords, Joggies)
Entertainment - R2000 ~ R2500
Entry CTCT - R800
Adhoc expenses - R2000
Budget between R12k to R14k

So about R2k (~16%) is directly related to the cycling portion of the weekend. The rest is what you would pay to go to CT for any other reason....

This year I never do the CTCT because of costs. Before I could get a return flight for R1300 (what I paid in 2021). Now its like R3K! Bike transport and event fees went up too. As well as accommodation. 

R11K sounds about right. 

Works out to R110 per km of cycling the CTCT.

I vote for sometime to develop a Garmin Connect IQ field that shows costs per Km as you riding. Many travellers will slow down and begin to enjoy the views more than worry about riding as fast as possible 😁

Edited by DroppedRider