Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

2 hours ago, copperhead said:

My morning wake up call. Flowers are still good out in the Cederberg. 

Just love your pics.  Lovely isolation.????

• Replies 30.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

About 500km of great gravel just outside my front door - today I saw a cyclist 

C5AFE403-40DA-41A9-AC7E-B2DEFC9E4B07.jpeg

99C6A7F1-AB24-4985-8DDF-ABE23062D5F4.jpeg

Seeing this and having looked at the terrain on google maps it seems there is a way over the mountain to the other side at Louvain. If this is indeed so I may consider doing a crossing from George via the Seven Passes and up and across to Louvain and from there to my folks farm in the Kammanassie.

But first to get fit again . . .

4 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Seeing this and having looked at the terrain on google maps it seems there is a way over the mountain to the other side at Louvain. If this is indeed so I may consider doing a crossing from George via the Seven Passes and up and across to Louvain and from there to my folks farm in the Kammanassie.

There is always a road over the mountain and it is either a stairway to heaven or a stairway to hell. The difference between the two is your fitness level. 

25 minutes ago, DJR said:

There is always a road over the mountain and it is either a stairway to heaven or a stairway to hell. The difference between the two is your fitness level. 

My fitness levels are currently a flat zero. On Saturday morning I had my first venture out on the bike again after 2 months of no riding. Lets just say that after 2 km's of flat riding I was sweating bullets.

I am really keen to do that ride but maybe first get a good base going again. Perhaps I should enter the CTCT next year and see where it goes from there.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

There is definitely a way - I’ve done it and it comes out very close to the road to your  folks - a loop from my house to louvein back over montegu and home is 112km 

here’s why I won’t do it again on my own - The first 15km is almost spot on 1000m elevation - it’s actually not as brutal as it sounds until the last 1.5km where it’s not possible to ride and you need to carry your bike. I’d guess this section took me at least an hour and a half. Alone I lost my sense of humour   

what blew me away was that this is how the Voortrekkers crossed the Outeniqua mountains - it’s a tough walk, never mind ox wagons and in their day it wouldn’t have just been the 1.5km section

The day I rode it the weather varied between 7 and pouring with rain and 35 on the Karoo side 

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol
Spelling

There is a way. It is known as Die ou wapad. It goes via Duiwelskop. You can pretty much follow that road shown. The last section up the pass itself is demonic, I have only managed to ride it once, many years ago. Now it has been so buggered by @$$#!~$% people on scramblers that it is mostly unrideable unless you are Schurter or McAskill. It is actually a fairly historic piece of road. I can bore you with the history but rather just ride and enjoy. Suffice it to say that it was once used in the Cape Pioneer.

4 minutes ago, NotShatterProof said:

There is a way. It is known as Die ou wapad. It goes via Duiwelskop. You can pretty much follow that road shown. The last section up the pass itself is demonic, I have only managed to ride it once, many years ago. Now it has been so buggered by @$$#!~$% people on scramblers that it is mostly unrideable unless you are Schurter or McAskill. It is actually a fairly historic piece of road. I can bore you with the history but rather just ride and enjoy. Suffice it to say that it was once used in the Cape Pioneer.

They’ve closed the road to motorcycles although with permission from louvein you can do it in a 4x4 but you’d need skill - on a bike you’d need Danny Macaskills skill with Ninos power - I don’t think it could be done on a bike now 

16 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

My bike will be taking me nowhere for a while as the rains hit the garden route hard - here is a section of the 7 passes road - this is a tar section on the George side near the Saasveld campus 

8AC43816-C720-48F7-BE20-C155B0A6A101.jpeg

How are your bunny hopping skills ????

Edited by Pikey
Spelling

19 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

My bike will be taking me nowhere for a while as the rains hit the garden route hard - here is a section of the 7 passes road - this is a tar section on the George side near the Saasveld campus 

8AC43816-C720-48F7-BE20-C155B0A6A101.jpeg

Perfect place for a skinny plank bridge

17 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Sheez, I have been getting some real hair raising images and video's from friends and family in George. One of our friends had water blow out the windows in the living room and exited by the windows in the main bedroom after causing a river in the house...

Even the Medi-Clinic and Geneva Day Hospital had water flooding damage.

Madness. And here in Cape Town the wind is blowing a gale.

2 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Sheez, I have been getting some real hair raising images and video's from friends and family in George. One of our friends had water blow out the windows in the living room and exited by the windows in the main bedroom after causing a river in the house...

Even the Medi-Clinic and Geneva Day Hospital had water flooding damage.

Madness. And here in Cape Town the wind is blowing a gale.

My neighbour is an NSRI volunteer and has been using the rubber duck on George streets - I’ve seen videos of waterfalls on the Outeniqua pass - hope this gets to some of the farmers on the other side of the mountains 

This pic down the road from the in-laws...

NSRI doing street patrol...

image.png.cf1959ab4f843d248aab8ce1f2ea935c.png

The water running down the driveway of mates of ours. Luckily the in-laws across the street are okay as their home is elevated.

image.png.c8768d069db2be5a8141e7468b0b82d9.png

when I was in school I'd see the news about flooding and see the boats rescuing people, so I devised a strategy in my head about how I'd be able to get our boat off the trailer and be able to head around the area helping people.