Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

Through the gates of Paradise! Really! No kidding.

This is the original entrance gate of the farm Paradys, after which Paradise Road (M3 through Claremont and Bishopscourt) is named. It dates back to the late 1600s. If you take a quick peek to your right as you fly down Paradise Road at 65 km/h (perhaps a terrible idea) on Argus day, you'll see the gates of Paradise also!

post-17716-0-44477000-1456154956_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

A great ride in the Canaries in the sun..It rained it just enough to be damp and cool...

Attached Images

Canaries1.jpg

CanariesRock.jpg

Canaries2.jpg

How do you get to that trail? I realy wanted to ride it Saturday but the stupid man at the gate told me that trail is closed. Do you climb via jeep track then come down?

A great ride in the Canaries in the sun..It rained it just enough to be damp and cool...

Attached Images

Canaries1.jpg

CanariesRock.jpg

Canaries2.jpg

How do you get to that trail? I realy wanted to ride it Saturday but the stupid man at the gate told me that trail is closed. Do you climb via jeep track then come down?

That's frustrating for you. Let's see how good my directions are:

In through the gate, first left through the next little gate and up about 300m. Take the first left at the first left turn available. (Still jeeptrack, not single track). Climb patiently and in fact the road leads through two sections of the canaries. You will see the entrance top the lower part on your right. Keep going.  :)

The road takes a coupla turns and goes under a water pipe feeder thing which looks like it is used for filling water trucks. Pass that and when you get to a t-junction, turn left. About 500m further on, the entrance is on your left, opposite the exit for the upper part which comes out onto the road at this point. Feel free to climb further if you like to do the whole ride. I haven't done it since the fire but I know some guys who have. I have some photos of the climb if you like. Like me know.

..my Kop is so ???? toe, ek moet heeltyd ry ????

A friend of mine did Jonkersberg plantation roads on Sunday, all by his lonely self, uphill, 5km/h, jeeptrack, front wheel slips, otb, handlebar stuck into his abdomen between his "sixpack" and breatsbone, almost entered but only briused his muscles.

A friend of mine did Jonkersberg plantation roads on Sunday, all by his lonely self, uphill, 5km/h, jeeptrack, front wheel slips, otb, handlebar stuck into his abdomen between his "sixpack" and breatsbone, almost entered but only briused his muscles.

Ouch. Glad it's not too bad. The downside of riding alone I guess

Crazy, happens so quickly, and not always at speed on the edge. Glad he's ok and it didn't pierce

I noticed that there are a lot of broken branches and sticks lying on the rocks. Perhaps he rode over one and lost control because some of them roll at 90 degrees to your path when you ride over them and next thing, you're down. Happened to me at Tokai. 

I just want to say that having a bike at your disposal is probably the best thing that a person can have. I'm not going to post a photo or say that I had the best view at the top of some mountain on my ride today.

But what I would rather say is that it makes life simple and enjoyable. I had to take my car in for a service yesterday and instead of waiting for them to take me home or back to the office I opted to take my bike with me, once my car was booked in I bid farewell to the friendly staff that helped and hopped on my bike and took a leisurely cruise home.

Its the simple things in life that keep us happy and a 4km ride home made my day.

So where did my bike take me today? HOME, with a SMILE!