Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

1 hour ago, W Smith said:

Really? Bicycles blocking taxi routes? What are you smoking Bra? 

I must have been smoking the herb of self righteous indignation and drinking from the cup of idealism.  It happens when I hear about f=%k heads robbing people.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

No chance, there are so many ways to get onto that cycle lane that it makes policing it impossible.

Difficult, very difficult even, not impossible.

10 hours ago, Zebra said:

Difficult, very difficult even, not impossible.

I think it will essentially take 3 things:

1.Remove the vagrants and homeless that have invaded mostly PRASA owned land around that stretch and made their encampments there. Among them are the robbers and criminals.

2. Replace the idiotic wire mesh fences with something sturdy that is much more difficult to break open and make access and escape points.

3. Patrol consistently and CATCH, prosecute and lock up the few individuals who are fuelling this crime wave.

2 hours ago, DJR said:

1.Remove the vagrants and homeless that have invaded mostly PRASA owned land around that stretch and made their encampments there. Among them are the robbers and criminals.

2. Replace the idiotic wire mesh fences with something sturdy that is much more difficult to break open and make access and escape points.

3. Patrol consistently and CATCH, prosecute and lock up the few individuals who are fuelling this crime wave.

And, it is really that simple, but somehow there is no will or priority or ownership to do this.  I am just cobsmacked that this investment was done into the infrastructure creating the facility and then no maintenance... wtf?  Tweets to our Premier, Mayor and City are just being ignored...  The big talk about making Cape Town a cycle destination and green city, is just that - talk for the masses #bull****.  It is time to put photos of the bike path and surrounds on social media on Cape Town Tourism pages etc.  Great the visibility, make them embarrassed (if that is possible), and hopefully this way get some action. 

9 hours ago, DJR said:

I would say that the core problem is that the area has become derelict and neglected (thanks PRASA). The other problems follow on that. Eventually this area will be properly redeveloped, but it's not going to happen soon. 

Took advantage of a crisp and not too windy early morning to do a loop over the Nek into houtbay, suikerbossie and home via waterfront and the n1.

At the robot in Claremont a bakkie with a Thule bike rack gave me room to go into the lane and the driver said I shouldn't cycle alone.

I will admit to extra vigilance given the taxi that's preying on is lately and all the other f#$ckwittery out there but I don't want to give in to the buggers.

Saw lots of other mamils and a very fast lady doing hill repeats in bishopscourt taking the same risk. And some savages greeted politely on the bridge in houtbay.

Viva cycling.

I heard that a car turned across the @Pure Savage bunch in Bakoven this morning.

3 riders down, 2 broken bikes, 1 broken leg.
I am sure that the list is longer than that.

Sorry to hear.
Hope you guys are OK ?

Also hope that the car stopped...

4 minutes ago, splat said:

I heard that a car turned across the @Pure Savage bunch in Bakoven this morning.

Sorry to hear.
Hope you guys are OK ?

sorry to hear, but wrong thread?

1 hour ago, splat said:

Sorry to hear.
Hope you guys are OK ?

Well, that intersection is a danger area for cyclists as motorists just dont look. 

I went with the rider to hospital and he is stable and will have to have the leg sorted. 

The driver just pulled in front of the two riders, grazed the first and hit the second. There is not a tube on the bike that is not cracked. 

Luckily we have a few guys that are handy with blood and bandages so managed to stabalize before ambulance could arrive. 

The driver stopped, like he had a choice with 40 cyclists around. He was chatty and wanted to say sorry etc, told him its probably NOT the best idea when the dude is in pain on the ground.

Very kind neighbors brought out blankets and bandages and Bootlegger looked after our bikes while I went to the hospital.

Be safe out there, dont trust drivers.

1 hour ago, Meezo said:

as received

index.jpg

Ive wondered how long before this happens. We all do it, we profile people and a situation based on what people are wearing, how groomed they look, etc etc. And now here’s a bugger who realised he can blend in better by investing in himself a bit. Ugh

Trust Nobody! 

Edited by MORNE

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

Ive wondered how long before this happens. We all do it, we profile people and a situation based on what people are wearing, how groomed they look, etc etc. And now here’s a bugger who realised he can blend in better by investing in himself a bit. Ugh

but did he invest in himself or just "repossess" the high end kit from someone else ?