Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

bump

chat about import duties here. would be great if this thread could remain current, as much fun as it is starting a new one every season

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered a pair of wheels from windspace, R12k including shipping, fedex asked R430 in total, not bad

Wheels $598.00 USD
Shipping and handling    $100.00 USD

> R11,858

FEDEX tax Invoice

Customs vat R282

ROD fee R150

Edited by Jbr

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

Just ordered a pair of wheels from windspace, R12k including shipping, fedex asked R430 in total, not bad

Wheels $598.00 USD

> R11,858

FEDEX tax Invoice

Customs vat R282

ROD fee R150

Seems to me that the invoice used for customs clearance wasn't the real value.
R282 would have had an invoice (FOB) for about R1700, using 16.5% as a guide for the ATV to be paid. 

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Seems to me that the invoice used for customs clearance wasn't the real value.
R282 would have had an invoice (FOB) for about R1700, using 16.5% as a guide for the ATV to be paid. 

I was also very pleasantly surprised ! Will see when I have my parcel ;) 

The Chinese are famous for under declaring goods by including an invoice for a fraction of what you paid. 

Just hope that one of those never get flagged for value verification by customs. The penalties are SAVAGE! 

I’m in the process of going through a preferred importer/exporter program with Customs (for the company I work for).

I might even register myself as an importer as I would be able to submit docs to customs (as a freight forwarder would do). At least I’m not limited to the R50k, 3 imports per year.

5 hours ago, Jbr said:

Wheels $598.00 USD

> R11,858

FEDEX tax Invoice

Customs vat R282

ROD fee R150

that's funny because winspace without the d are actually in the country, wonder if it was worth the cost going it alone.

// Africa

Winspace South Africa
Contact number:+27 82 487 0673
Contact e-mail: Info@lunperformancewheels.co.za

no idea, I followed ads all over my IG  & FB for their Black friday deals. Didn't even check if they had a local guy

EDIT Ah, I see the "without the D" just now, I understand why I wasn't finding their emails when I was searching my mailbox 😅

Edited by Jbr

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please check my maths? 

Looking to buy a Ragley Big Al from CRC that is on special for 999 pounds.

Item price in rands with shipping 24396
Duties on item price with shipping (15%) 3660
10% on Item with shipping 2439
VAT on Item with shipping & 10% 4025,25
10% on duties 366
VAT on duties & 10% 603,9
Edited by Brawler

22 hours ago, Brawler said:

Can someone please check my maths? 

Looking to buy a Ragley Big Al from CRC that is on special for 999 pounds.

Item price in rands with shipping 24396
Duties on item price with shipping (15%) 3660
10% on Item with shipping 2439
VAT on Item with shipping & 10% 4025,25
10% on duties 366
VAT on duties & 10% 603,9

Looks a bit high.

Duties are on the item value only not including shipping.

But excluding that issue, the calc is VALUE * (1 + duties) * (1.1 * (1 + VAT)) in this case 24,396 * 1.15 * 1.165 = 32,684.54

And you are likely to pay a few hundred ZARs clearing/handling fees to whoever the shipping company is as well.

25 minutes ago, Jehosefat said:

Looks a bit high.

Duties are on the item value only not including shipping.

But excluding that issue, the calc is VALUE * (1 + duties) * (1.1 * (1 + VAT)) in this case 24,396 * 1.15 * 1.165 = 32,684.54

And you are likely to pay a few hundred ZARs clearing/handling fees to whoever the shipping company is as well.

thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

The SARS tariffs are on the Customs & Excise Tariffs doc below split per region of origin under the "Rate of Duty" heading.

Bikes: 8712.00.10

Frames, forks & parts thereof: 8714.91

Wheel rims & spokes: 8714.92

Hubs, brakes, saddles, pedals, crank gear & parts thereof, other: 8714.93-99

Cycling shoes: 6403.19.04

Helmets: 6506.10.90

Clothing: Covered under Chapter 62 from page 409.

VAT is calculated at 15% of the Added Tax Value (ATV)

ATV = Customs Value (CV = Foreign price x SARS FX rate), plus duty levied, plus 10% of CV

VAT = 15% x [((price x FX rate) x (1 +10%)) + Duty]

Sometimes the courier adds on a fixed admin fee for settling the VAT & duties on your behalf.

Customs Excise Duty_Cycling Related Items_23.12.2022.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I would like to find out, for those who have imported some stuff and it has gone through the absolutely fantastic service delivery of our beloved SAPO, do any of you know what it means when there is an exception on your parcel? I have tried to contact them but we all know how difficult that is. 

• 4 months later...

100% unrelated , I need a tax expert 

I got my Medical aid certificate for last year and need to know can i do something with this as in get a return from it.

but have no idea how or what 

7 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I got my Medical aid certificate for last year and need to know can i do something with this as in get a return from it.

All your policies, insurances etc, gives you a tax certificate. You can get an accountant to submit your tax return and if you lucky you either have to pay a penalty or get money back.

9 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Disclaimer: im not a tax proffesional, ive just been doing my own tax since my early 20s and have also done my own tax for business purposes. So i dont know all the tricks, but i know enough to be compliant and even get something back every now and then using only efiling and the grey stuff between my ears…and maybe some  grade 9 accounting.

On your question:

Only if you paid medical fees out of pocket that your medical aid didn't cover basically.
it’s pretty simple when doing e-filing, theres a section on it. 

contrary to popular belief, personal income tax is not voodoo or ‘rocket surgery’ 😅 south africans in general just make it out to be because the avarage SA’n is not compliant or just ignorant to the process…nevermind not even paying tax. You dont need to pay anyone anything to do your tax and maybe get something back. 

The amount of people who only started doing their own tax in their mid 30s or even 40s…or never is shocking. IRP5/ ITA12 is grade 2 math…there really is nothing to it. 

provisional tax (IRP6) is a different monster and most people dont even know they have to register for it. If you have investments, rental income, a registered or even unregistered side hussle, a savings account that draws more than the ‘allowable’ interest in a year, hell…even bitcoin - you technically have to be registered for provisional income tax. 

you can still do it on your own though…it just becomes a bit more involved….and obviously - theres the whole “slapende honde” argument.😅

but in general, if you have a job, and receive an IRP5 every year…and you break even/dont have to pay in or SARS doesnt owe you a cent…all it basically means is, on a base level, your employer did a good job at not making you pay too much or too little tax during the year lol. 

also, use TAXTIM, they are awesome and very helpful. Pose the question to themor even just use them as a knowledge base (the Help section), you’ll get a ‘qualified’ answer. I have learned many 'tricks' of the trade from them over the years.

https://www.taxtim.com/za/

Edited by MORNE