Coffee machine

39 minutes ago, BikeisLife said:

Have my birthday coming up and wanting to get a Moka pot and hand grinder for when there is no power and the Rocket is off duty… 

Will be just me and possibly one more having coffee, so doesn’t need to have large capacity. 

Are there any brands that I should stay clear of or are they all pretty much equal? Is a Moka the way to go or should I rather look at an aeropress? Will be drunk as an espresso/black as plant based milks don’t mix too great without some heat to them. 

Rocket to Mokka...

Bro invest in an inverter for the rocket instead. lol

Otherwise look at the V60 for solid black coffee option.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, babse said:

Rocket to Mokka...

Bro invest in an inverter for the rocket instead. lol

Otherwise look at the V60 for solid black coffee option.

I know… I know… I don’t plan on being in this house in 5 years time so don’t want to invest in a system that I won’t get a return on. We run mostly on gas and I have a portable power box for other devices. 

Also want to get something that can be transported easily for camping. 

6 hours ago, BikeisLife said:

I know… I know… I don’t plan on being in this house in 5 years time so don’t want to invest in a system that I won’t get a return on. We run mostly on gas and I have a portable power box for other devices. 

Also want to get something that can be transported easily for camping. 

Looks like the Rocket travels well
🤣

The Mini Coffee Company | 100% Arabica Coffee Delivered to Your Door

8 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Honestly, I I wouldn't buy a fancy moka  pot over an Aeropress. 

Bu I've got a cheap 2 cup mokka pot that I use often, and I can't taste the difference between that and our Bialetti pot. However, I am a bit nervous about the aluminum pot over long term use, so I'll probably replace it with a generic stainless steel one. So if you go mokka pot, I'd suggest a SS pot. 

My Moka pot is more than 15 years old and is still perfect. Cannot recall the name but it is made by Bialetti if I recall correctly - my brother bought it in Italy. I would not worry too much about the aluminium unless you scrub or wash it with harsh detergents and a new layer of oxidation has to form all the time. Mine has only ever been washed with water.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to downscale my setup, currently running a casadio enea grinder but that is a bit of an overkill and it is bulky in size too. its actually a commercial/coffee shop type grinder. If anyone is interested you can contact me for info and prices

On 7/21/2022 at 7:19 PM, Rolf Hansen said:

My Moka pot is more than 15 years old and is still perfect. Cannot recall the name but it is made by Bialetti if I recall correctly - my brother bought it in Italy. I would not worry too much about the aluminium unless you scrub or wash it with harsh detergents and a new layer of oxidation has to form all the time. Mine has only ever been washed with water.

Agreed 100%.

Also rising it with water before the coffee dries is key to keeping it clean. I learnt that tip from colleagues when I was working for an Italian company and you know them Eye-Ties... they are always right (in a good way).

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2022 at 8:14 PM, Vishal72 said:

Got a Gaggia Classic Pro and  a Eureka Mignon Manuale. 
Added a 9 bar spring, IMS shower screen and PID. 
Very happy with the setup

826832CC-C3CE-41CE-BF89-427ADCE300F8.jpeg

B87614C9-1017-4648-87F5-6E6D41522770.jpeg

AC66B856-C8E8-4D53-9C8B-5C1DFBD0505D.jpeg

Ahhh I’ve forgotten how amazing BikeHub is!! Was active until about 4/5 years back and fell out the cycling world. Years later, I start looking for a coffee machine and the first question a mate asks me: “have you checked the hub”. Well here I am… I’m considering this same machine as a first electric machine (I’ve been using moka for the past 10 years, how is she treating you? Are the upgrades a necessity or is it something I can do in time?

43 minutes ago, Letum911 said:

Ahhh I’ve forgotten how amazing BikeHub is!! Was active until about 4/5 years back and fell out the cycling world. Years later, I start looking for a coffee machine and the first question a mate asks me: “have you checked the hub”. Well here I am… I’m considering this same machine as a first electric machine (I’ve been using moka for the past 10 years, how is she treating you? Are the upgrades a necessity or is it something I can do in time?

Apart from the the PID all other upgrades were done when new so can't comment. The PID upgrade made a difference as I found accurate temperature control to be really important. Would also recommend a good grinder as grind settings make a noticeable difference. The machine itself has been great, can't fault it

45 minutes ago, Letum911 said:

A mate runs this store.https://latteart.co.za/

He's a strong advocate for the above Gaggia classic pro setup. I believe They're one of the importers of Gaggia. He'd be happy able to assist. 

41 minutes ago, PotatoBagMan said:

A mate runs this store.https://latteart.co.za/

He's a strong advocate for the above Gaggia classic pro setup. I believe They're one of the importers of Gaggia. He'd be happy able to assist. 

Spectacular thank you! Will give him a shout on Wednesday when I’m back in the land of decent cell reception 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Whitehouse cups marked down some more, R175 for 6. There are still some Acme left, some followed me home again.

But check the bottom, Acme mixed with other brands on the shelves.

20230330_131128.jpg

Edited by Christie

5 minutes ago, Christie said:

Whitehouse cups marked down some more, R175 for 6. There are still some Acme left, some followed me home again.

20230330_131128.jpg

access park?

6 minutes ago, Christie said:

20230330_131128.jpg

But are these ACME though? Not some sort of counterfeit?