Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, I shudder to ask the price.......

its says R20 

Yup, just R20 from The Plaza... 

...or NZ$200 (just under R2000) here in Auckland.

When the salesman heard I was South African I was worried he'd up the price after the recent All Blacks loss, but he actually gave me discount (was NZ$220).

Such a nice salesman that later that day I just happened to stop by that same Suzuki dealership on the way home from work and accidentally purchased one of these

3207517_6083_-andes-v2_drystar_jacket.jpAlpinestars Andes v2 Drystar. Definitely not for cycling, but useful for petrol powered commuting in the fickle Auckland weather. Usually NZ$400/ approx R4000. The kind sir did me a deal for NZ$360.

It's an intermediate measure while I wrestle with the idea of investing in a Klim Badlands Pro jacket... (NZ$1500... nearly R15 000... for a baadjie  :eek: )

That chest strap looks really comfy.

It's pretty weird to get used to at first. It feels like one is wearing a GoPro Chesty rather than a backpack. But after about 5min one kinda forgets about it.

When the salesman heard I was South African I was worried he'd up the price after the recent All Blacks loss, but he actually gave me discount (was NZ$220).

Such a nice salesman that later that day I just happened to stop by that same Suzuki dealership on the way home from work and accidentally purchased one of these

3207517_6083_-andes-v2_drystar_jacket.jpAlpinestars Andes v2 Drystar. Definitely not for cycling, but useful for petrol powered commuting in the fickle Auckland weather. Usually NZ$400/ approx R4000. The kind sir did me a deal for NZ$360.

It's an intermediate measure while I wrestle with the idea of investing in a Klim Badlands Pro jacket... (NZ$1500... nearly R15 000... for a baadjie  :eek: )

It's pretty weird to get used to at first. It feels like one is wearing a GoPro Chesty rather than a backpack. But after about 5min one kinda forgets about it.

loos flippen nice  :thumbup:

Such a nice salesman that later that day I just happened to stop by that same Suzuki dealership on the way home from work and accidentally purchased one of these

It's an intermediate measure while I wrestle with the idea of investing in a Klim Badlands Pro jacket... (NZ$1500... nearly R15 000... for a baadjie :eek: )

Out of interest do you find kit be it for cycling or motorbike expensive or is it relative to your salaries?

*Disclaimer, this is a completely subjective matter so treat it as such. I'll have my flame suit at the ready however just in case*

Why is it that 99.9% of cycling glasses and helmets are designed to be as gaudy and dorky as possible? Is there some functional benefit or is it just that having cycling-specific stuff is a way of being identified as a cyclist?

I mean, I'm sure those are super comfortable, and I'm not trying to offend you in any way, as a new cyclist its just something I'm struggling to get to grips with.

*Disclaimer, this is a completely subjective matter so treat it as such. I'll have my flame suit at the ready however just in case*

Why is it that 99.9% of cycling glasses and helmets are designed to be as gaudy and dorky as possible? Is there some functional benefit or is it just that having cycling-specific stuff is a way of being identified as a cyclist?

I mean, I'm sure those are super comfortable, and I'm not trying to offend you in any way, as a new cyclist its just something I'm struggling to get to grips with.

I think most of it stems from protecting the eyes from wind, bugs, and debris while being breathable and that translates to big ass terminator glasses. BUT, I agree - most of the are completely over the top when it comes to colour, mirror finishes, and bling. But... it's a form of marketing, take Oakley and 100%, both unkistakeable for another brand, and both very sought after because of their brand value (and being top quality products). So yeah, I think the dorkiness factor is equal parts marketing and functionality.

I think most of it stems from protecting the eyes from wind, bugs, and debris while being breathable and that translates to big ass terminator glasses. BUT, I agree - most of the are completely over the top when it comes to colour, mirror finishes, and bling. But... it's a form of marketing, take Oakley and 100%, both unmistakable for another brand, and both very sought after because of their brand value (and being top quality products). So yeah, I think the dorkiness factor is equal parts marketing and functionality.

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2018/07/09/1/dsc_0425_670.jpg

On the glasses.  Function over form.

You want big:

• Keep the eyeballs warm in winter
  • Safe from bugs
  • Good lens to keep the sun at bay
  • Ventilation to keep the sweat at minimum and fogging to a minimum

On the helmet side........

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

Everything else is a side note.

It's all about aerodynamics. Having a large curved frame pushes the air around the face rather than smashing into the two eye sockets and swirling. This creates a backdraft and slows the rider down by a factor of 0.000002. I substantial amount IMO.