RANT - Exclusive Books rip off!!!!!

duringd

I was wanting to buy some reading material from Exclusive Books. I checked their website to make sure they had the particular book and then arranged to pick up a copy from their Stellenbosch store. Here comes the seriously WTF part. Their website price for this particular book is R208 and you have to wait between 20 and 25 days. They believe the convenience of driving to their store and standing around waiting for service warrants them to charge me R357 for EXACTLY the same book!!!!! When I detailed the discrepancy the attitude was "well.........". How does a business justify this rip-off and still continue doing business?????

Not Cool

it is also cheaper, easier and quicker to buy a book from amazon, get it delivered for free to a friend in the UK, and have them post it to you.

alternatively, the second hand market rocks! ABE books is king, even with the over inflated delivery charges books are still cheaper to buy and bring in.

People still pay for books?

Got more books on Ipad (even my engineering handbooks for university), than ill ever be able to read, the internet is a wonderfull thing, lol

I understand your frustration... But what would your rant be about if it was the same price online and in store?

Along these lines perhaps: "how dare they charge the same when clearly the overheads are so much less when I buy online? Surely it should be less?"

It's a book. If you don't like them, buy it somewhere else dude... Come on.

I have too agree about the prices....I looked at a paperback the other day..r300..what the actual F!... thank goodness for Amazon and ebooks and some other "cheaper" sites

My wife is the reader in the family. I preffer looking at pictures and if they are moving, even better!

She gets all her books from the local SPCA. They have a small "second hand store" with almost as many books as exclusive books. Priced at around R10-R20 ea and the bonus part is that the person running the shop is a volunteer so you don't have to pay their salary!

Go check out your local SPCA. They need all the help they can get. Rather support them than the fat cats.

I will also feel ripped off, even with kindles and things in the house. Had to buy a book the other day cause it is not on Kindle, 'n older book, think 2004 print, that was at least not to expensive to buy. But I will feel exactly the same as you.

It's like seeing something on the a cycling website and going in store and having to pay like R200 more, don't think that is on, unless they state it is a web only special.

Did you en up buying it though, or could you rather go buy it on Amazon?

Check on Kalahari, door to door!

I was wanting to buy some reading material from Exclusive Books. I checked their website to make sure they had the particular book and then arranged to pick up a copy from their Stellenbosch store. Here comes the seriously WTF part. Their website price for this particular book is R208 and you have to wait between 20 and 25 days. They believe the convenience of driving to their store and standing around waiting for service warrants them to charge me R357 for EXACTLY the same book!!!!! When I detailed the discrepancy the attitude was "well.........". How does a business justify this rip-off and still continue doing business?????

Not Cool

it is also cheaper, easier and quicker to buy a book from amazon, get it delivered for free to a friend in the UK, and have them post it to you.

alternatively, the second hand market rocks! ABE books is king, even with the over inflated delivery charges books are still cheaper to buy and bring in.

Also check out a site called Alibris, they sell secondhand books.

Check on Kalahari, door to door!

First check if Kalahari has it in stock. I ordered Christmas gifts on Kalahari and after a month they told me it was out of stock and they cancelled my order. It already happened twice to me.

Most Saturdays there are second hands books for sale outside a lot of super markets, malls and craft markets. Not new stuff but you will always be able to buy something

Else ... join a book club and swop

Not Cool

I've picked up similar price discrepancies only to later find out that the the book is available in paperback and hardcover. Naturally the hardcover comes in at a price premium. Either way the staff could've been more attentive.