No Daryl Impey for Tour de France - Positive Test Result

shifter

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daryl's statement :

Further to the announcement of the Tour de France team and in the interests of full disclosure, I confirm that on 23 June 2014, I was notified by William Newman, the President of Cycling South Africa, about an adverse analytical finding for Probenecid following an in-competition test at the national time trial championships on 6 February 2014.

I had no knowledge of Probenecid nor have I ever taken the substance knowingly in any manner. I am committed to drug-free sport and fully intend to take all steps necessary to clear myself of any suspicion.

The notification came as a complete shock to me just days before the start of the Tour de France, particularly since anti-doping tests conducted on me on 8 and 9 February 2014 yielded no adverse results.

I immediately flew back to South Africa and was present at the analysis of my B sample on 27 June 2014, the results of which confirmed the initial analysis.

I am extremely distressed by the finding, as I have always raced clean throughout my career. Every result that I have achieved to date has been as a result of hard work and dedication on my part.

I notified my team immediately after being informed by Cycling South Africa of the adverse finding. I would like to thank them, my family and friends for their support during this difficult time. I remain confident that I will be vindicated and proved innocent of any wrongdoing.

hmm

and they (who ever had the results) could not have made this public/known earlier, addressed it then there, instead of a week between TdF with no time to counter/fix/defend it.

G

4 months is about standard for this sort of stuff. David George was tested in August I seem to recall, won the Pioneer in October, test results in March.

so 01/07/14 we find out he will not be riding TdF, 02/07/14 we find out his tested positive. good timing on that!

I'm guessing thats why the team did not pick him, he's not allowed to be picked, we just wondered why yesterday and got told today.

my complaint, it did not take CSA 5 months to determine this, they could/should have informed him earlier. so that it could have been addressed, instead of 3 days before the race, removing any chances he has to defend himself in time, or not.

Will notice I'm not saying guilty or not, just give the guy a fighting chance.

G

so 01/07/14 we find out he will not be riding TdF, 02/07/14 we find out his tested positive. good timing on that!

So that's why Delboy ducked to the land of the long white cloud so suddenly :o ;) ;)

and all those "nature stops" he was taking on the Panorama Tour....