Who has the right of way?

georges

In MTB events we all try to get into some rhythm going and there is always a dash to enter the single track first. However who has the right of way once you have entered a narrow single track?

The guy/girl who enters the single track first?

or

The guy/girl who shouts "rider coming" - are you expected to stop pull your bike over and let the rider through?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy in front has the right to ride the best line. He can pull over to make it easier for someone to pass, but he is not obliged to do so. The guy passing is responsible for doing it safely and for picking a line that will not endanger the slower rider.

Just listen to Eldron :)

This is one area that I get frustrated in, I'm pretty slowish on the long climbs which are usually on jeep track or more open sections of trail, in these areas where I know I am slower I do my utmost to keep out the way of the faster riders even if it means me riding off the trail, I just feel its common decency to not mess up other guys times, then when we enter the technical stuff/ downhills/ fast flowing single track I end up catching all the guys that have just passed me on the climbs of which 90% of them will not move over even when I ask politely, it builds up to a point where you have to force your way passed them making it unsafe for both of you (more for them) I feel just some courtesy should be had, If someone is faster than you, let him pass when it is safe to do so and everyone will enjoy the event allot more. It cant be much fun having someone pressurizing you and breathing down your neck through technical stuff that you aren't comfortable riding to begin with.

This is one area that I get frustrated in, I'm pretty slowish on the long climbs which are usually on jeep track or more open sections of trail, in these areas where I know I am slower I do my utmost to keep out the way of the faster riders even if it means me riding off the trail, I just feel its common decency to not mess up other guys times, then when we enter the technical stuff/ downhills/ fast flowing single track I end up catching all the guys that have just passed me on the climbs of which 90% of them will not move over even when I ask politely, it builds up to a point where you have to force your way passed them making it unsafe for both of you (more for them) I feel just some courtesy should be had, If someone is faster than you, let him pass when it is safe to do so and everyone will enjoy the event allot more. It cant be much fun having someone pressurizing you and breathing down your neck through technical stuff that you aren't comfortable riding to begin with.

Unfortunately not, you need to work on your climbing / seeding so that come singletrack, you will arrive there first. Alternatively work on your passing skills if you don't want to do hills.

This is the key point that many people trying to pass on singletrack fail to take into account and thus get frustrated.

Also one persons idea of safe is not the same as others.

In MTB events we all try to get into some rhythm going and there is always a dash to enter the single track first. However who has the right of way once you have entered a narrow single track?

The guy/girl who enters the single track first?

or

The guy/girl who shouts "rider coming" - are you expected to stop pull your bike over and let the rider through?

an international norm is the vehicle behind has to keep clear of the vehicle ahead.

This does nto apply in SA... we very special

Unfortunately not, you need to work on your climbing / seeding so that come singletrack, you will arrive there first. Alternatively work on your passing skills if you don't want to do hills.

Agreed, But in saying that, I know where my weak point is which is why I make sure it is easy for faster riders to pass me.

Thing is, it's not up to the rider in front to "let you pass safe", it is up to you, coming from behind to pass him/her safely. Further, also as Eldron said.