Snakes don't respect fences . . . #justsaying

Yeah,we get a few brown house snakes,they rarely come to our yard

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update on our roof tenant. After the last klopjag we did, it disappeared for a while and I thought we had chased it away for good. 

Then on Monday morning, at 3am, my wife and I got woken up by the same sounds coming from directly above our bed. So I knew the snake was back, and it kept me awake until I had to get up and go to work. After work I got my shotgun, flashlight and snakestick ready and climbed into the roof again. I just thought bugger the ceiling boards, if I see this snake I'm going to blast it! 

As I headed towards the bedroom I saw some fresh snake poop.Told the wife to take a broomstick and knock on the ceiling boards where we heard it last time. She could immediately hear it but I couldn't, and neither could I see it because it was underneath the insulation. Eventually it's head popped out, and that's when I nearly shat myself. It wasn't a mfezi as I first thought, but a flippen black mamba! It shot out from underneath the insulation (luckily not in my direction) so I took 2 shots at it and got it. I was still *** bang to go near it, if it's still alive and comes for me there's no room in there to quickly move out the way.

2.5m (we measured it) BLACK MAMBA

attachicon.gif_20160527_060238.JPG

Liewe ouers.....koue rillings.

Our neighbor has a jungle growing in his yard, suspects he has loads of snakes in his yard.

my parents neighbours used to have tortoises and they never cut their back grass. My parents were always worried about what might be there. I think we once had a small snake in the road outside their house which I'm sure was there for the tortois

my parents neighbours used to have tortoises and they never cut their back grass. My parents were always worried about what might be there. I think we once had a small snake in the road outside their house which I'm sure was there for the tortois

One came into the road once and this half drunk guy almost walked over it and did not even notice it

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on our roof tenant. After the last klopjag we did, it disappeared for a while and I thought we had chased it away for good. 

Then on Monday morning, at 3am, my wife and I got woken up by the same sounds coming from directly above our bed. So I knew the snake was back, and it kept me awake until I had to get up and go to work. After work I got my shotgun, flashlight and snakestick ready and climbed into the roof again. I just thought bugger the ceiling boards, if I see this snake I'm going to blast it! 

As I headed towards the bedroom I saw some fresh snake poop.Told the wife to take a broomstick and knock on the ceiling boards where we heard it last time. She could immediately hear it but I couldn't, and neither could I see it because it was underneath the insulation. Eventually it's head popped out, and that's when I nearly shat myself. It wasn't a mfezi as I first thought, but a flippen black mamba! It shot out from underneath the insulation (luckily not in my direction) so I took 2 shots at it and got it. I was still *** bang to go near it, if it's still alive and comes for me there's no room in there to quickly move out the way.

2.5m (we measured it) BLACK MAMBA

attachicon.gif_20160527_060238.JPG

and just how close did you get to "accidentally" shooting the wife on the level below with the shotgun :P

Unfortunately not Gen. I live on a game reserve, far far away from any big towns. You get bitten here and it's a 3-4 hour drive to the nearest hospital with antivenom. I relocate snakes as much as I can, but I'm not trained to handle venomous snakes so not going to take a chance. Also have 3 young kids in the house, so unfortunately the snake had to go. Some snakes (like mambas) are also territorial, so chance are good they'll just come back if you don't relocate it far enough

yip, that far away from nearest help, eliminating the snake is your best option!!!

and just how close did you get to "accidentally" shooting the wife on the level below with the shotgun :P

She swears I came close to taking her out, but I say she over reacted :)

good thing she never hid in the bathroom .... (is this getting over used now?)

• 1 month later...

Watching a vet program from Australia (on Spanish TV) and the vet has just pulled out a 6m python from the loft space. They suspect he wasn't alone. . . .

Reminded me of this thread!

Edited by Bonus

Watching a vet program from Australia (on Spanish TV) and the vet has just pulled out a 6m python from the oft space. They suspect he wasn't alone. . . .

Reminded me of this thread!

There's an email doing the rounds, from one or the other outdoor magazine I think, of these tourists staying in a "tree house" somewhere. They counted 6 cape cobras IN and around their accommodation. Needless to say they asked to be housed somewhere else...

We had a funny Puffy encounter at Mankele a few years back. There where you go under the R539 after the first climb and that section in the forests.

Anyway you go under the road in culvert and it wasn't quite tall enough to ride through, so I went through first and came out the other side took a few steps and started stretching my back out. A friend was behind me, as he got out the tunnel he stopped and stood up, he had his right hand on the seat and left hand on the handlebars, bike in front of him.

At that exact moment a smallish puffy fell from the drainage channel coming down from the road above and landed between his foot and the rear wheel, that moment of shock was crazy. He paniced hard and dived back into the culvert and throwing his bike forwards towards me, luckily the snake landed awkwardly, took a second or two to figure out which way was up and then disappeared into the long grass. 

Was a pretty scary moment but alls well that ends well, its awesome we get to experience nature whilst out cycling...

A mate of mine from another park here in KZN was out training for the Imfolozi challenge a couple of years ago, when an eagle dropped a mamba next to him on the road. If a mamba falls on you from the sky, you just know it's your time to go...

Found this guy 2 or 3 weeks ago.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r631/Stefmeister_666/IMG_4488.jpg

Shew, thats a :eek: big one!!!

On what trail was that?