Name and shame the litterbugs

Pall Catt

Litter relates to any item that should go in a bin. Organics still take weeks or months to break down. Imagine a beach filled with banana peels and other organic matter waiting to decompose. Most people wouldn't chuck a peel in their garden, or their parents or workplace garden just "sommer".

Zapit in a Zibi!

Don't litter. Trash it!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.. I'm with Vetseun on this, don't see any issue with chucking banana peels.

And that's fine.

Where it gets interesting is when one considers the parallels between me calling you out for chucking a banana peel and you calling someone out for chucking a gu sachet.

Have seen cycle clubs in the cradle with bikes that stop traffic etc while riders come through intersections, these are training rides ( no resources ).

If the motorbike rider never saw any littering, no need to review any footage.

So like I said in my post, was just a suggestion, what is yours?

My suggestion is self policing. If somebody litters, tell them it’s not acceptable, cause it’s not.

I don’t have a problem with a banana peel tossed in a bush as you ride - if this organic matter bothered me I’d have to ride with a basket picking up leaves and twigs that will also take time to break down - throwing a banana skin into dustbin might be less responsible as this generally goes into landfill - ps I do toss my banana skins and apple cores into my garden beds or the compost heap

Have seen cycle clubs in the cradle with bikes that stop traffic etc while riders come through intersections, these are training rides ( no resources ).

If the motorbike rider never saw any littering, no need to review any footage.

So like I said in my post, was just a suggestion, what is yours?

Confront the d00$ when it happens.

BTW, I am part of a committee that organises a race, and the bike marshals are there to assist with traffic safety and not recording videos of one or two id10Ts

And that's fine.

Where it gets interesting is when one considers the parallels between me calling you out for chucking a banana peel and you calling someone out for chucking a gu sachet.

Banana peel take weeks to decompose, a gu sachet years so surely there is a difference when calling someone out?

Always thought it is harmless to chuck a banana peel in the bush when riding, if it is not I will certainly stop doing it.

Banana peel take weeks to decompose, a gu sachet years so surely there is a difference when calling someone out?

Always thought it is harmless to chuck a banana peel in the bush when riding, if it is not I will certainly stop doing it.

Besides adding nutrition to the earth, it does nothing. Be it a banana, apple core, it cant do any damage, only good.

The race organisers should have roving marshalls on motorbikes with go-pros, that ride randomly behind bunches, watch footage after the race, any person seen littering gets a DNF time (or a two hour time penalty added to his actual time )and a ban from next years event.

If organisers make this known via banners and on entry forms then the inconsiderate tonsils that litter may think twice about doing it during the race.

Just a suggestion.

We already facing steep entry cost. To bring in something like that will only increase the entry fees even more. It's much easier for us as cyclist to open our mouth like opening it and bragging with mates at the coffee stop. Or is it easier to talk with rather that confronting an idiot and possibly having a verbal fight. Who cares, I can pull other side of tracks if need to 

I found myself guilty at it before but not throwing it away on purpose. As I took out a bar, 1 of my gels got pulled out with it and the gel fell without me knowing it, another cyclist told me about it a short while after. 

Edited by CharlesZ

Wrappers are heavy guys... 2 or 3 of those probably weight 15-20grams...he obviously needed to lighten up for his big sprint..

Get rid of the saddle bag

How long it takes to biodegrade. 

Paper bag - 1 month

Apple core - 8 weeks

Orange peel and banana skins - 2 years

Just take it home! Who cares if it is biodegradable, it doesn't belong there! 

Edited by J∆kk∆ls

How long it takes to biodegrade. 

Paper bag - 1 month

Apple core - 8 weeks

Orange peel and banana skins - 2 years

Just take it home! Who cares if it is biodegradable, it doesn't belong there! 

Depends on your source...I just read that orange peels take 6 months

However,I do agree that peels should go in the pocket.Nothing worse than seeing the thorn bushes decorated with peels on the trail

This guy threw his gel wrappers today. I asked him if he only litters in races,or if it is part of his normal life. Apparently he saves it for races...

just please also stay left of the white lane, do get the idea that you did cross it.

I always put my wrappers back in my pockets, but I must say at emperors Classic the pace was so quick and E batch were so twitchy with all the hard braking for nothing, that it became almost reckless to take ur hands off the brakes for long enough to get a gel out and put the wrapper back. So I tried to get them out in time to chuck the wrapper down at a water table , where I knew it would be cleaned up along with water sachets/bottles that are picked up anyway. I know it's not ideal, but honestly I couldn't do any different. Is this acceptable or not?

No, without sounding like some hoofseun... if you're so nervous in the bunch that you can't put a wrapper in your back pocket, then you shouldn't be riding there in the first place.  learn to be comfortable in the bunch, or drop to the back where you can safely stick the gel wrapper in your back.

just please also stay left of the white lane, do get the idea that you did cross it.

Noted. I crossed it to blow my nose away from the group

Besides adding nutrition to the earth, it does nothing. Be it a banana, apple core, it cant do any damage, only good.

I'm with you on vegetable matter, I certainly also throw them in my flowerbeds at home and toss them into the bushes whilst riding.

You mentioning an apple core however reminded me of the peach tree that is growing on the side of the road along the Outeniqua Pass. Someone obviously threw away his peach pip and the little opportunist took the gap and decided to live......

I reckon if it fitted in your pocket before you ate the gel/banana/apple it will fit in your pocket after you eat the gel/banana/apple.

Put it back in your pocket and if you feel strongly about adding your recycling then dump the banana peel/apple core in your own garden.