[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We will be offering all participants who registered and collected their race numbers at the Cape Town Cycle Tour Expo between 9 and 11 March 2017 a preferential entry for the 2018 Cape Town Cycle Tour, before entries are made available to the general public

We wish to advise that the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour will now be held on 11 March 2018 and as such, no finisher’s medals will be issued for the 2017 event. 

As expected. 

As expected. 

Not good enough at R1k. 

Yesterday on my commute home I pondered the idea of calling it quits after 5 tours. Along with that also strongly advising people to not take part in CTCT. Why pay other people to make sure you are "safe" when you can do it yourself for a lot less?

I think it is time to get on the anti-Argus soapbox. 

Thank you for the offer of preferential entry, CTCT Trust, but not good enough. I already get that perk, being both a PPA member and having done 14 tours already. 

I would appreciate a discounted entry fee for 2018 more. 

When is the mtb world cup, hope the dates don't clash.

The UCI mtb is on the Saturday in Stellies and I plan to attend, that would be my main reason for coming down. but will ride the CTCT as well if its going to happen (#13) although I don't take it seriously at all, maybe even ride rogue.

Edited by kosmonooit

About the entry fee and what should happen to it:

I am happy to give my entry fee to what the bulk of it is intended for:

The very worthy charities that cannot do what they do without that money. If a couple of hundred rand will make you feel better about the cancellation of the tour, then you have bigger issues than I can help with. 

Personally, I think that most reasonable people will see it like that. If your attitude is the same as the cancellation of a music concert that was meant to line the pockets of a rock group, then perhaps you should do some self reflection on how you operate in society. 

If that entry fee refund is what will put food on the table for your kids this month, then perhaps you never should have entered. If you feel you could have bought another cycling gadget with it, perhaps you should think about your own priorities.

If it puts food on the table for someone who would have gone hungry, or fix someones eyesight, or help an abused child escape, then I am totally happy with my donation. If some of it ends up with the PPA and it helps build a cycle track, or improve safety or fund a development rider, I'll be smiling even wider!

But that's just me of course. If you choose to be a suurgat, that is your choice and you have to live your selfish life with it. I chose the positive approach. 

N.B. This is not directed at any specific individual, rather at all who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing!

The very worthy charities that cannot do what they do without that money. If a couple of hundred rand will make you feel better about the cancellation of the tour, then you have bigger issues than I can help with. 

Personally, I think that most reasonable people will see it like that. If your attitude is the same as the cancellation of a music concert that was meant to line the pockets of a rock group, then perhaps you should do some self reflection on how you operate in society. 

If that entry fee refund is what will put food on the table for your kids this month, then perhaps you never should have entered. If you feel you could have bought another cycling gadget with it, perhaps you should think about your own priorities.

If it puts food on the table for someone who would have gone hungry, or fix someones eyesight, or help an abused child escape, then I am totally happy with my donation. If some of it ends up with the PPA and it helps build a cycle track, or improve safety or fund a development rider, I'll be smiling even wider!

But that's just me of course. If you choose to be a suurgat, that is your choice and you have to live your selfish life with it. I chose the positive approach. 

N.B. This is not directed at any specific individual, rather at all who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing!

well said.

Personally I dont really care about the entry debacle. Its a nice gesture that they offered us all an advance entry before they open to the general public. It is one of those things, and if you happen to work in large events - whether it be sporting or musical etc there are massive inherent risks to factor in that involve massive amounts of money and the very large chance of upsetting the majority of the paying public. Its called life. The options get weighed up and a desicion needs to be made.

I was on the start in 1A when they called it. We were due to be the next group off and after listening to all the drama going on I knew which way it was headed.. Safety first and foremost.

I feel for everyone that shelled out large amounts to get there from Jhb, UK, Aus and wherever else. I was fortunate to save a airfare by driving down with a mate who had 14 bikes. I also scored a hotel deal paying staff rates. WIN!

Will I be back next year - Its a lottery pretty much. You never know whats going to happen - fires, wind, protest. Pick two

I dont know. If I cant drive with a mate who gets paid to transport bikes down or stay in a decent hotel at a 3rd of the normal price then it becomes a very expensive weekend away. The 2 coffee rides were good though. Beats the Cradle any day

If I cant drive with a mate who gets paid to transport bikes down or stay in a decent hotel at a 3rd of the normal price then it becomes a very expensive weekend away. The 2 coffee rides were good though. Beats the Cradle any day

You should come again for some of the other excellent rides we have here. There is the One Tonner, Karoo 2 Coast, Cederberg 100 Miler, so many I can go on... all of them 100% safe and 100% risk free. They will not get cancelled no matter what.

Edited by Rouxenator

:clap:mooi gesê

The race was cancelled for everyone's safety and out of their control. Some days you win, some days you don't - let me donate the monies to those that it was destined too.

Edited by quinton

I am more than happy to donate my entry fee.

But i want a refund on my second entry for second lap.

Organizers should really see this in.

Mail them and you'll receive a refund.....eventually. Same thing happened in 2015 with 2nd lap entries.