Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebikes are absolute nonsense. Anyone who claims otherwise is not fit to be on a bicycle and should go and take up go-karting. I though we agreed this 15 pages ago.

Ebikes are absolute nonsense. Anyone who claims otherwise is not fit to be on a bicycle and should go and take up go-karting. I though we agreed this 15 pages ago.

They do have a place but not on trails or races[emoji106][emoji6]

Sooo ebikes are should not be allowed on trails?

What about downhill trails where the gradient and trail offsets any emotor benefit?

On my local burg we have a nice 2.1km downhill only track

built at great expense by the local biker community and municipality. Its very popular with XC, XCM, enduro and downhiller types. To get to the start there are various very steep roads / footpaths / jeep tracks and a funicular train...

I've seen a few ebikes ride up and then back down and plenty of normal mtb's go up by train and ride back down...

Which is more acceptable, riding up by ebike or by train?  :whistling:

Edited by SwissVan

Which is more acceptable, riding up by ebike or by train?  :whistling:

Neither! Earn your downs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*yes that IS a lot of exclamation marks.

Sooo ebikes are should not be allowed on trails?

What about downhill trails where the gradient and trail offsets any emotor benefit?

On my local burg we have a nice 2.1km downhill only track

https://youtu.be/AKyF0u0Q7M0

built at great expense by the local biker community and municipality. Its very popular with XC, XCM, enduro and downhiller types. To get to the start there are various very steep roads / footpaths / jeep tracks and a funicular train...

I've seen a few ebikes ride up and then back down and plenty of normal mtb's go up by train and ride back down...

Which is more acceptable, riding up by ebike or by train? :whistling:

A funicular uses gears to get up steep hills with a motor. Probably would get up and down hills without ruining trails and creating Strava lines. Ban EBikes and just ride the train for your thrills, sir.

???????????? Funiculeeee, funiculaaaahhh ????????

Edited by Thor Buttox

e-bikes look like a lot of fun and I am tempted to get one haha, but ultimately it seems like the coming age of the e-bike is akin to the hordes about to flood through the gates.

Being fit enough to access the trails is it's own reward and relying on an e-bike to get you there feels like it diminishes that challenge/reward. It feels like a cheat. MTB carries some respect because it's self-powered and promotes fitness/health. I think this helps persuade land owners to allow it. Traditionally-powered bikes/quads are very damaging to the land/trails.

But maybe you're physically incapable of accessing the trails due to some underlying condition (disability?) and in these cases power-assistance seems acceptable.

I don't want the trails to go away...

Edited by aquaratza

Is the title question asked from the point of

1. keeping the sport "pure"?
  2. sharing trails with riders that can possibly go faster?
  3. racing, and fairness within events?
  4. the potential damage that a heavier, motor driven vehicle can extol on trails?
  5. or all of the above?

To that I say:

1. The element of purism is a form of ludditic snobery and those that take this approach should also shun suspension, geared drive-trains, and hydraulic brakes.
  2. There are ALWAYS riders faster than oneself. No matter whether they achieve this by fitness, skill, electrical aid, or chemical stimulation  :ph34r:
  3. Possibly the only point I cannot argue. Yes, I think events should be categorized. Allow eBikes to participate, but group them accordingly.
  4. There are some rider/sub 10kg MTB combos that weigh more than the average person on an eBike   :ph34r:

And finally, while we're hating on eBikes, let us be sure we do so whilst pedaling our 60kg dope-free physiques on 26" chromoly SS rigid MTB's, winning races where only those that podium get medals. None of this "congratulations, you participated! Look under your chair, everyone gets a medal" crap.

and ask yourself...

"Do those that cycle for fun belong on the mountain?"

*tongue-in-cheek* ;) :ph34r: 

Edited by patches

I know my post isn't related to the sporting side of cycling but I thought of this thread the other day and had a little laugh.

We were on holiday in Zermatt, and the town does not allow any petrol/diesel cars, trucks or buses. So all you see are these tiny postman-pat-like electric vans humming along, and a ***-load of e-bikes.

The town is built into the side of an Alp so the assistance I imagine, is really needed. Just walking up some of those paths was a challenge.