[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

I will be THIS guy to say its a shame that 35 000 of us cant stop 500 of them

The Hout Bay protests last year? remember those? that was (allegedly) 20 well-coordinated people. they co-opted a few more, and the rest is history... 

Trust me, I hope it's all just talk too and that it's not going to happen.. Community leaders apparently engaging the community but cannot control the "majority" as has been said..

Again, it's a minority... a very SMALL minority that just want to cause grief - but please let that not be the case this weekend... this city, this COUNTRY, can't afford more of this

Edited by lechatnoir

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From CTCT: All participants who collected their race packs from Expo yesterday can expect to receive an email from us this morning about their number printing.

Did anybody receive this email?  I assume it relates to the sticker issues

I stand  corrected

1. Do you have a usable bike board sticker? Please note that the MOST important and only part on the sheet with stickers that you will need to start with – is the bike board sticker. The rest are nice to haves. If your bike board sticker did not print correctly – for example it was printed on the wrong side of the adhesive paper – and now your bike board number is not sticking correctly, please email us on  numbers@cycletour.co.za and a new number will be printed for you.
  2. In this email please state your race number or your ID number

Your options for collecting this reprinted number, OR MISSING BIKE BOARDS are:

1. If you are returning to Expo over the next two days – please collect your reprinted bike board number at Registration – you will be able to enter at no charge
  2. If you are unable to return to Expo – you can collect your reprinted bike board number at the Information tent situated on the Grand Parade on Race Day

Oh how I wish I was in sunny CPT again, getting all exited about race-day...

:thumbup: Fingers crossed for no fires, no crazy winds, no disruptions and just a glorious happy day. Wishing you all the best & lots of fun  :thumbup:

Will be following you from cold and rainy Europa

I stand  corrected

1. Do you have a usable bike board sticker? Please note that the MOST important and only part on the sheet with stickers that you will need to start with – is the bike board sticker. The rest are nice to haves. If your bike board sticker did not print correctly – for example it was printed on the wrong side of the adhesive paper – and now your bike board number is not sticking correctly, please email us on  numbers@cycletour.co.za and a new number will be printed for you.
  2. In this email please state your race number or your ID number

Your options for collecting this reprinted number, OR MISSING BIKE BOARDS are:

1. If you are returning to Expo over the next two days – please collect your reprinted bike board number at Registration – you will be able to enter at no charge
  2. If you are unable to return to Expo – you can collect your reprinted bike board number at the Information tent situated on the Grand Parade on Race Day

Also got this - I have stuck my board number on with glue. Number seem to be correct although now its got me thinking - maybe its not. need to check at home.

How to turn an orderly process that has worked for years into a guessing game... 

So I missed the entry cut off. I wasn't that motivated to enter and the deadline came & went.

Then racetec sent out a mail saying there were 500 entries available and by virtue of the fact that I had a racetec chip (99% of SA cyclists) i could enter. I left it literally till the last day and entered. My number is 33242. My race number and the fact that I was able to buy one of the "500" racetec entries tells me they didn't sell the event out. Oh. My Airbnb is also not booked this weekend.

Not really a surprise based on the events of recent years. This has to be a concern for the organizers. 

The porta loo's and scafolding are going up on suikerbossie and I saw 2 of those streetsweeper trucks doing their thing this morning.

They were also clearing the mountain of sand from the HB circle.

So I missed the entry cut off. I wasn't that motivated to enter and the deadline came & went.

Then racetec sent out a mail saying there were 500 entries available and by virtue of the fact that I had a racetec chip (99% of SA cyclists) i could enter. I left it literally till the last day and entered. My number is 33242. My race number and the fact that I was able to buy one of the "500" racetec entries tells me they didn't sell the event out. Oh. My Airbnb is also not booked this weekend.

Not really a surprise based on the events of recent years. This has to be a concern for the organizers. 

Can't draw any inferences from the race numbers - I entered early and have 52047 :unsure:

Can't draw any inferences from the race numbers - I entered early and have 52047 :unsure:

Aaah. Ok my bad. Ass-Umptions.

I've got a sneaky suspicion the Public Order Policing okes are already on standby from Saturday Night to sort out this opportunistic lot. Rather leave the job to them to sort it out than asking skinny cyclists to contend with flying bricks.

They will have the backing of our new minister of police who doesn't take *** from kabouters

Number collection, once inside the stadium was super fast at around 1pm today.  :thumbup:

Getting from Century City to Green Point, parking and walking to the stadium, then going all the way inside the stadium, collecting my number and getting back to work took just under 1.5 hours!

Traffic was so rubbish getting into town, I didn't even have time to check out the expo.  :mellow:

Some help from the Cape Town guys please. With all the road closures,what route should I take from Claremont to the convention centre on Sunday?

Some help from the Cape Town guys please. With all the road closures,what route should I take from Claremont to the convention centre on Sunday?

M5 will be easy then on to FW de Klerk.easy easy

M5 -> N1 

or

M3 -> Nelson Mandela Blvd -> Elevated Freeway

I'd cycle there if that's an option for you? Just go down to the rondebosch common, along liesbeek parkway until you get onto the cycle lane all the way to town. nice warm up, probably like 7km