All things Team Qhubeka NextHash

Eldron

At least you could see it at Lampre.

He finished 2nd young rider at the TDF. He had plenty of years to improve positioning and TT ability.

But he didn't improve at the TT or tactics not during his years at Lampre or when they became UAE.. others in his age group made huge improvements which either means all the teams he has ridden for are not able to develop riders or that his ability is limited for GC Edited by Gen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do DD still race...? I spend most the time going squint looking at my TV, only to hardly ever see them. I have seen them at the sign on and start, but thereafter nothing... Lol

But he didn't improve at the TT or tactics not during his years at Lampre or when they became UAE.. others in his age group made huge improvements which either means all the teams he has ridden for are not able to develop riders or that his ability is limited for GC

Isbit my imagination or has Louis dropped gis cadence to a lower rpm compared to his first few years. Whatever he's doing with his training its not working

Isbit my imagination or has Louis dropped gis cadence to a lower rpm compared to his first few years. Whatever he's doing with his training its not working

I can not comment I have not noticed or paid attention

A reminder of the top 15 in last year's GTs ....that is his competition and a few other youngster coming up... he needs to let go of the idea of a GT top 10 IMO..go after a good result in 1 week races where the GT riders are there but not in top form yet) and stage wins in GTs. I hope at least someone has had a real honest conversation with him.. there is nothing easy about winning a bike race and winning a GT or even a top 5 is incredibly hard you need a team that is committed to that and all the abilities to be able to give it a go.

6c89bd70b5a8b107d3296982c575418c.jpg14f436726a4e930339396348d312263c.jpg0fa889db152e72238cfbc645d4ab318b.jpg

Edited by Gen

2016 - Top 10 at Olympics, TDF and Dauphine.

2017 - Top 10 TDF and Dauphine

And then he joins DD and all of a sudden he looses all form? Right...

Why was his racing schedule changed when he joined DD?

I say this with no attack or anything but you have no idea. The next answer to you is no, I am not going to spill the beans you want but there are reasons why LM is where he is at and its not what you are typing. 

Everyone is guilty of doing it, but its easy from the couch to look in and make assumptions why a rider is not performing and blame "X or Y" and yes, some things cannot be splashed on public forums or shouldn't be. 

Louis is 27 years old. Just 27 years old.

Lets give the guy a break, massive expectation early on - massive results early on (https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/louis-meintjes)

He seems like a class act who probably misses lying about on his couch with his dog in Rustenburg - yet he has to go and live in some shitty hotel at altitude and ride in crappy conditions to fulfill expectations. Sure its his choice.

But with less pressure and plenty of years left in that tank, I hope we still see the best more of him.

I say this with no attack or anything but you have no idea. The next answer to you is no, I am not going to spill the beans you want but there are reasons why LM is where he is at and its not what you are typing.

Everyone is guilty of doing it, but its easy from the couch to look in and make assumptions why a rider is not performing and blame "X or Y" and yes, some things cannot be splashed on public forums or shouldn't be.

Obviously you know more than we do and perhaps Louis has private reasons for falling below the public’s expectations

But he’s a pro sportsman and I’m pretty sure we the opinionated hubbers would rather see him achieving his goals than questioning his performance. So maybe it’s time he let us know in some way without divulging too much to set the record straight

Of course he has the right to keep quiet and it’s to be respected but then we as fans have the right to wonder and speculate however wildly and inaccurate

One thing is certain, we all wish him success

If it was just LM that had a drop in performance, I suspect there would be less of a fuss. The drop in team results is not just for this season, is it? This leads to questions of a common cause, eg problems with one or more of the following: organization (management etc), coaching or lack of "marginal gains".

My uneducated and uninformed opinion on LM is that there was too much pressure and expectation from the local cycling TV 'presenters' and us the cycling public to perform at the absolute highest level from the outset ...

Also internationally, Carlton "know it all" Kirby would not shut up about him, and what a mistake he made moving away from MTN in the first place. Robbie the Jobibie was his agent then right? it was certainly an opportunistic move.

It was Cartlon's often co-commentator and then MTN GM Brain Smith who sign Cav and his train, EBH, Stephen C

LM's move away from MTN Quebeka never bore fruit -  he just never featured again, for what ever reason. The move back to DD and trying to pick up where he left off must have been very difficult, but these guys are paid professionals.

I hope he can do something this year - they certainly need it.

Contrast this to Team Sky, how they spotted and signed up so much new talent who are really quite exciting. Forward looking,

Well you dont need to be a rocket scientist to notice that his performance dropped to zero after joining DD. Are we putting all the blame on LM?

Also internationally, Carlton "know it all" Kirby would not shut up about him, and what a mistake he made moving away from MTN in the first place. Robbie the Jobibie was his agent then right? it was certainly an opportunistic move.

It was Cartlon's often co-commentator and then MTN GM Brain Smith who sign Cav and his train, EBH, Stephen C

LM's move away from MTN Quebeka never bore fruit -  he just never featured again, for what ever reason. The move back to DD and trying to pick up where he left off must have been very difficult, but these guys are paid professionals.

I hope he can do something this year - they certainly need it.

Contrast this to Team Sky, how they spotted and signed up so much new talent who are really quite exciting. Forward lookin

Louis is 27 years old. Just 27 years old.

Lets give the guy a break, massive expectation early on - massive results early on (https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/louis-meintjes)

He seems like a class act who probably misses lying about on his couch with his dog in Rustenburg - yet he has to go and live in some shitty hotel at altitude and ride in crappy conditions to fulfill expectations. Sure its his choice.

But with less pressure and plenty of years left in that tank, I hope we still see the best more of him.

Edited by Cheese

I took a photo with LM after the SA Champs in Pretoria this year. While standing around waiting for my turn I heard him say:

"I don't really understand all the fuss, I am just an oke who enjoys riding his bike"

There are two things that can be taken from this:

For us fans: Louis is just a guy riding his bike, he is not a superman or anything else that makes him more special. The guy is just living his life.

For him and other riders: They need to realise that they are dependent on selling their sport and their own performance as exceptional to be able to generate advertising revenue. Otherwise the viewers and revenue will just move to other growing sports like Kabadi. 

These two competing forces are constantly fighting for dominance.

I can't help feeling there is something amiss in DD management. They have massive talent but somehow manage to get the worst out of that talent.

Maybe they're emphasising the Qhubeka angle too much and not the win win win angle. Maybe that works for sponsorship and funding but it may drop them out of Pro Tour racing.

Either way I actually don't know enough to know what the problem is - I love following them and would love to see them perform to their potential (but am getting a little frustrated!).

I can't help feeling there is something amiss in DD management. They have massive talent but somehow manage to get the worst out of that talent.

Maybe they're emphasising the Qhubeka angle too much and not the win win win angle. Maybe that works for sponsorship and funding but it may drop them out of Pro Tour racing.

Either way I actually don't know enough to know what the problem is - I love following them and would love to see them perform to their potential (but am getting a little frustrated!).

I feel the same. Hopefully they get a result today. On paper it is a good squad for the race.

There Feeder team are doing much better. Two wins in two days .

I concur. Its beyond frustrating. They're always there or thereabouts but nothing to celebrate