All things Team Qhubeka NextHash

Eldron

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Maincheese is still a shadow if himself at Romandie + most of the team smashed him at the prologue.

He's never been a TT pro but to be 10% off than the winner is not a good sign this deep into stage race prep!

I see Maincheese is still a shadow if himself at Romandie + most of the team smashed him at the prologue.

He's never been a TT pro but to be 10% off than the winner is not a good sign this deep into stage race prep!

I watched for a few minutes on TV and the course seemed technical with sharp turns and punchy short climbs so I guess it did not suit a rider like him. Still a very bad start like you said. 

I watched for a few minutes on TV and the course seemed technical with sharp turns and punchy short climbs so I guess it did not suit a rider like him. Still a very bad start like you said.

Agreed. Sort of.

It suited 123 riders better than him and only 16 riders worse. Not great. If you remove Viktors time Louise was only 5 seconds off last place.

Not the performance of a top 10 TdF rider and worlds medallist.

What on earth is going on there?

Maybe the guy is depressed/suffers from a mental illness, can't find the right balance of meds, bad publicity and bad performances keep gnawing at his anxiety, so he just can't get better.

This scenario is not uncommon in pro sportsmen and women, especially when careers bloomed bright early.

Maybe the state of DD is adding to the stresses, the potential loss of WT status, Cav et al being rubbish, no wins... any sort of mole hill becomes a personal mountain.

Of course, like all said before, this is all speculation. He really should just wear his heart on his sleeve and be honest.

The only way I can see what John Wakefield said about keeping secrets as to his dip in performance making any sense is if he was doping and isn't now doping. 

Honesty is hands down the best policy. If he wants to be private, then expect bad publicity for bad results. I just think he would, as a public figure, do himself a favour and rally support as opposed to criticism if he just spilled the beans

I always wonder what the cyclist's contracts look like regarding doping. Maybe DDD want them to pay back their salaries if caught doping. That would put a cap on their enthusiasm for winning.

Cav said pre TDF 2018 his priorities have changed after having children and calling some sprints dangerous and stupid. But there are still people asking when will he win again. [emoji23]

Maybe the guy is depressed/suffers from a mental illness, can't find the right balance of meds, bad publicity and bad performances keep gnawing at his anxiety, so he just can't get better.

This scenario is not uncommon in pro sportsmen and women, especially when careers bloomed bright early.

Maybe the state of DD is adding to the stresses, the potential loss of WT status, Cav et al being rubbish, no wins... any sort of mole hill becomes a personal mountain.

Of course, like all said before, this is all speculation. He really should just wear his heart on his sleeve and be honest.

The only way I can see what John Wakefield said about keeping secrets as to his dip in performance making any sense is if he was doping and isn't now doping.

Honesty is hands down the best policy. If he wants to be private, then expect bad publicity for bad results. I just think he would, as a public figure, do himself a favour and rally support as opposed to criticism if he just spilled the beans

Here’s a secret: there is no secret and I haven’t read bull**** like this in a long time.

Disrespectful to everyone involved.

Here’s a secret: there is no secret and I haven’t read bull**** like this in a long time.

Disrespectful to everyone involved.

No

You said 'there is a reason he is not doing so well and I can't share it'.

How is one speculation any more disrespectful than another? How is it more disrespectful to say 'maybe he is ill' than someone who said 'he simply doesn't have the talent'?

No John, on this I think you are being emotional and not reasonable.

I will stand by the fact that if what you said is true, then, as a public figure with fans and a team with a following, DDD and Louis should be honest and up front.

Otherwise speculation and rumour and negativity instead of support will abound.

No

How is one speculation any more disrespectful than another? How is it more disrespectful to say 'maybe he is ill' than someone who said 'he simply doesn't have the talent'?

I will stand by the fact that if what you said is true, then, as a public figure with fans and a team with a following, DDD and Louis should be honest and up front.

Noted, but it’s It’s called respect - not a secret.

Edited by J Wakefield

His performance dropped the moment he joined DD. So whatever the reason it must be team related. Either they changed his program/diet etc or the moral in the team is just that bad.

The lack of form for the whole team and in particular LM is leading to speculation amongst the fans.

From the team perspective they have had a bad start start due to illness, however their Star performers are also coming up against younger and better competitors....

Watching LM in the tour de Romandy, trying in vain to see anything obviously wrong with LM.... weight gain.... etc.... not really. Still hanging on the back of the leaders for as long as possible.... more speculation: tired from training for the big one (TDF)?, just does not have it? or is there a medical issue?

Btw, what happened to Dr Carol Austin TDD previous head of performance and medical team?

The lack of form for the whole team and in particular LM is leading to speculation amongst the fans.

From the team perspective they have had a bad start start due to illness, however their Star performers are also coming up against younger and better competitors....

Watching LM in the tour de Romandy, trying in vain to see anything obviously wrong with LM.... weight gain.... etc.... not really. Still hanging on the back of the leaders for as long as possible.... more speculation: tired from training for the big one (TDF)?, just does not have it? or is there a medical issue?

Btw, what happened to Dr Carol Austin TDD previous head of performance and medical team?

wondering the same for the last year.........which seems to coincide with the general drop in team form?

wondering the same for the last year.........which seems to coincide with the general drop in team form?

Snap - I also got the idea there was a management shake-up late last year, possibly due to not meeting performance criteria for 2018?

All speculation aside - it's fairly clear that DD has some BIG problems.

Nobody apart from a brief flash by Gibbo has performed anywhere near their potential in 2019.

The classics season is over with a handful of UCI points to show for it. The stage racing platform is looking super wobbly too. Maincheese is not performing and O'Connor hasn't really shown too much form/potential.

Red lights should be flashing all over DD managements offices and people should be hustling!

The rider in DD who disappointed me the most this year is Michael Valgren. Unlike Louis, who  had good results in the past but never really won a big race, Valgren was actually winning races a year ago and now he is not getting even close. 

No

True, but nobody would like to admit they start skinderstories right? :)

Edited by Zatopek