[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Not really, coming down chappies and llandudno in raging SE winds, the wind is constantly changing around the corners and bouncing back off the mountain..

Yeah. I have had times where I came round and got hit with a head wind and almost came to a complete stop on a tandem!

Really strong gusty winds are not safe and what ever decision the organsiers make they will not please everyone. If they cancel, some will say but we could have ridden. If they don't cancel and someone gets blown off the mountain then some say they should have cancelled.

I will always start and even if I take 5 hours I will just ride slow and safe. But I have a lot of experience and have been riding for a few years. I also won't hold the organisers accountable for what mother nature throws at me. Protesters is another story though.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on.

There will be weather on the day, whether that weather is windy, hot or rainy, it will be there. and being CPT there is no way to accurately predict what that weather will be doing around the entire route.

I also think the new start pretty much eliminates the tunnel effect of the old start so even in windy conditions we will still ride.

You would also know staying at the same spot as me that the wind there is completely different to the wind at the start. See you on Saturday.

It shouldn't be the full cost again (not even close), but there does need to be an extra cost associated with riding twice. As a trivial example, people doing an extra lap will need more refreshments.  

I don't see why they should discount it. You are doing the full distance again, you can pay the full price again - it's fair towards the other riders. 

I don't see why they should discount it. You are doing the full distance again, you can pay the full price again - it's fair towards the other riders. 

Its like going to movies and finish watching the movie then expecting to go back in on next show for free.... or even half price .. 

I guess you missed the first line... "it's the same event"

By charging again they are making it two events and I have a problem with that in principle

Not really sure how charging twice makes it two events, but if that's how you see it, then good for you. It is then called a 2nd lap, not Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019 2.0.

It's a privilege to be allowed to ride the 2nd lap, so not sure why it should be a free one as well.

Its like going to movies and finish watching the movie then expecting to go back in on next show for free.... or even half price .. 

These right here are gold

I hope to do the same as last year - have a ride with a buddy on Friday morning; that way even if they do cancel due to wind/protestors, our trip down is not a waste. On that note, any suggestions for a nice 100km-ish route from Cape Gate area for Sunday, should the event be cancelled?

I really hope it doesn't get cancelled though, especially as it is my dad's 21st. As long as we get to start, not worried about the time.

As for the second lap thing, I'd love to do it some day. But not if it means my family needs to sit around in the sun for another four hours; if we stayed close to the finish sure. The cost is a fraction of our entire trip.

As long as there are no protests, it would not be cancelled!

As for the wind, other than the last 2 weekends the wind has generally been pumping since December in the cape and it seems Sunday will be no different.

If you worried about falling, you probably going to fall. Cant see how much more risky the wind makes bunch riding.

Calm down and go and enjoy the ride. 

I am predicting this event is going to be called off.

So far Windguru and Ventusky are speaking from one mouthpiece, and I just don't see this event even starting.

post-103677-0-32957800-1551688014_thumb.png

I am predicting this event is going to be called off.

So far Windguru and Ventusky are speaking from one mouthpiece, and I just don't see this event even starting.

attachicon.gifVentusky_Sunday_CTCT_RaceCancelComingUp.png

Why?

The previously cancelled 2017 tour was because of "safety" of the riders due to the unrest on parts of the route and some fire/smoke issues in HB.

The wind is at its worse at the previous start venue which is now been (some what) resolved with the new start venue.

I cannot see the event being called off. May just be me. :whistling:

Why?

The previously cancelled 2017 tour was because of "safety" of the riders due to the unrest on parts of the route and some fire/smoke issues in HB.

The wind is at its worse at the previous start venue which is now been (some what) resolved with the new start venue.

I cannot see the event being called off. May just be me. :whistling:

Pessimists will be pessimists. . .  

Opportunity cost for the organizers, would you rather have 2000 people doing a second lap at R250 or 100 at R540?