Dear mountain bikers.. from trail runners

Chris_

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

headphones please, had to just about put my front wheel in the crack of 3 runners before i was heard this weekend.

im to a trail runner.  

headphones please, had to just about put my front wheel in the crack of 3 runners before i was heard this weekend.

im to a trail runner.  

Headphones to be banned from all trails for both trail runners and cyclist.

How is that even possible with your vegan super powers?!?!

The irony was not lost on me. 

'Vegan mauled by dog' - just imagine the YouTube views that could get. 

Edited by Odinson

Saw a cyclist come barrelling down the green belt in constantia just outside the silver hurst estate. **** WAS yelling at two runners to get out of way while the slob passed them within mm. Not an endearing fellow but he carried out his actions with a huge grin indicating the entitlement is strong with him.

Please... This is not acceptable for interval training at 6 in the evening when the green belt is full of different user groups

Be lekker

I completely agree.

For me the greenbelts, K-bosch trail etc belong to the dogs and the kids.

If there are dogs off lead or kids on balance/teeny pedal bikes or old people I will just slow down to a crawl, say hello (sometimes get off and play with said pooches) and move off.

On top of mutual respect and basically enjoying life, we as cyclists are the 'newest' legal users of the area and in my view should be the most respectful.

Last in, first out if things don't balance out.

Edited by Jewbacca

I don't have trail runners out here...just pedestrians mincing along...They also have headphones though or their phones playing some tunes but it's just as easy to stay behind them for a minute or two until you have been seen...I once went past someone on the right fully expecting them to move a little bit to the left as I passed but instead they went right as well...right into me...slow speed so no issues but just like a guinea fowl there is no telling what people do when you are almost on top of them and they suddenly see you

Edited by Mojoman

As other's said, yes we agree with you OP

But most of those guys have the earphone goetes which no matter how loud you shout they don't hear

I completely agree.

For me the greenbelts, K-bosch trail etc belong to the dogs and the kids.

If there are dogs off lead or kids on balance/teeny pedal bikes or old people I will just slow down to a crawl, say hello (sometimes get off and play with said pooches) and move off.

On top of mutual respect and basically enjoying life, we as cyclists are the 'newest' legal users of the area and in my view should be the most respectful.

Last in, first out if things don't balance out.

Yes and no. Cycling is restricted to one route through these areas. If you're walking on a shared trail  - my point above refers. Don't spread out as if this one shared trail belongs to you. The only reason cycling was not permitted before was politics and prejudice. 

As other's said, yes we agree with you OP

But most of those guys have the earphone goetes which no matter how loud you shout they don't hear

Agreed, this is a lose / lose scenario. And I can only really speak for myself that I don't understand why people run with earphones - on trail, it negates the whole point of being outdoors, and inevitably you'll be that chop who doesn't get out the way (rightly so). As well as running with earphones on the road - your awareness goes out the window and there are just too many variables waiting to take you out.

Saw a cyclist come barrelling down the green belt in constantia just outside the silver hurst estate. **** WAS yelling at two runners to get out of way while the slob passed them within mm. Not an endearing fellow but he carried out his actions with a huge grin indicating the entitlement is strong with him.

Please... This is not acceptable for interval training at 6 in the evening when the green belt is full of different user groups

Be lekker

"indicating the entitlement is strong with him." - too good!  :lol: 

Edited by Wet Ears

Not all mountainbikers are d*cks and not all trail runners are friendly. 

Often feel to bad to demand that somebody just move out of my way with the click of finger (or ring of a bell) so I just slow right down to runners/walkers pace and politely announce my presence before passing politely and saying thank you, enjoy the run/walk. 

Surely logic dictates that when using public/shared trails you need to ride or run for that matter with caution and not reckless abandon. Rather save the racing for race day or if that's not your thing then a specified section of trail where only mountain bikes are allowed. 

That being said I have often followed the "correct protocol" and been polite as possible only to still be verbally attacked and told to go do many wonderful things. 

As mentioned above rather be safe and follow rule #1. 

Yes and no. Cycling is restricted to one route through these areas. If you're walking on a shared trail  - my point above refers. Don't spread out as if this one shared trail belongs to you. The only reason cycling was not permitted before was politics and prejudice. 

As long as you slow down, then cool.

Groups are always difficult. I ran through a group of Mountain bikers clogging up the pavement and the shoulder at the entrance to the Glen the other day. Not a single one made an effort to move.

As I both run and ride regularly, I am always intrigued how, when alone, people respect other users and generally behave cordially, but when in a group, all bets are off. No matter where or which respective sport, groups tend to cause issue.

I'm not saying groups are bad, merely saying that when on the Greenbelts and shared trails, take that into account when you react to the situation.

I dunno. The only time I ever really get annoyed on trails (regardless of what I'm doing) is when idiots are riding the wrong way up or down a one way trail and treat me like I'm in the wrong.

Dogs, old people, groups etc all generally smile and wave pleasantly if you slow down and behave in a respectful manner.

As long as you slow down, then cool.

Groups are always difficult. I ran through a group of Mountain bikers clogging up the pavement and the shoulder at the entrance to the Glen the other day. Not a single one made an effort to move.

As I both run and ride regularly, I am always intrigued how, when alone, people respect other users and generally behave cordially, but when in a group, all bets are off. No matter where or which respective sport, groups tend to cause issue.

I'm not saying groups are bad, merely saying that when on the Greenbelts and shared trails, take that into account when you react to the situation.

I dunno. The only time I ever really get annoyed on trails (regardless of what I'm doing) is when idiots are riding the wrong way up or down a one way trail and treat me like I'm in the wrong.

Dogs, old people, groups etc all generally smile and wave pleasantly if you slow down and behave in a respectful manner.

I've yet to have a dog smile and wave at me.