Everesting World Record Update 2

Vanzweelism

Basis of calculation please?

Couple of test runs in the Swartberg, and also at the local trails ...

Climbing uses the battery...

Climbing closer the speed assist limit USES the battery ... as "little" as 1100m climb and 32km on a 500Wh battery.

Back of the speed a bit and the range extends significantly ....

Yes, a strong athlete could use less battery, while still maintaining higher speeds ...

EMBN has shown that rider weight also significantly impacts the range ...

While back I did a ride into a gail force wind, and also climbing up to the Tygerberg masts .... range reduced DRASTICALLY ....

Thus my estimate is a best guess .... bad conditions may well require even more batteries. Under ideal conditions a strong athlete may use 2 or 3 batteries ...

On the flip side .... another test ride outside Prince Albert I did more than 60km with more than 600m climbing on a single 500Wh battery ... stayed on econo mode for all but 4 hills, when I used the next power level.

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the urge to do some calcs...couple of questions for you if I may?

Voltage of battery?

500 Ah or Wh battery?

Couple of test runs in the Swartberg, and also at the local trails ...

Climbing uses the battery...

Climbing closer the speed assist limit USES the battery ... as "little" as 1100m climb and 32km on a 500Wh battery.

Back of the speed a bit and the range extends significantly ....

Yes, a strong athlete could use less battery, while still maintaining higher speeds ...

EMBN has shown that rider weight also significantly impacts the range ...

While back I did a ride into a gail force wind, and also climbing up to the Tygerberg masts .... range reduced DRASTICALLY ....

Thus my estimate is a best guess .... bad conditions may well require even more batteries. Under ideal conditions a strong athlete may use 2 or 3 batteries ...

On the flip side .... another test ride outside Prince Albert I did more than 60km with more than 600m climbing on a single 500Wh battery ... stayed on econo mode for all but 4 hills, when I used the next power level.

Voltage of battery?

500 Ah or Wh battery?

Wow, I could not imagine a 500Ah battery on an ebike, at any combinatin of voltage and current that would be significant weight. Generally I would say that somewhere from 500Wh to 1000Wh sounds reasonable for a Li-Ion. That would give a weight in the region of 2.5 to 5kg. I'm using my PylonTechs weight as a yardstick here, it may be that the newer e-bikes have a slightly better energy density.

Nevertheless, I think this could be a fun calculation to do.

edit: Just saw that it's you Fat Boab, good to see you around, your advice from last year was useful, my little ride down to the coast was awesome.

Edited by NotShatterProof

Voltage of battery?

500 Ah or Wh battery?

Oops. sorry.

For some weird reason these are rated at "Watt.hours", not A.h as other batteries.

So basically if you GUN it and use the absolute maximum 250W assist it will drain the battery in 2 hours .... obviously it is not nearly as simple as that, lower voltage results in less power to the end ... and all that ....

Think it is a 36V battery ,,,, but no way I can make out that fine print on the battery ....  :ph34r:   I do recall different manufacturers using different voltages.  But the 250W is the norm to stay in regulations, and obviously there are some seriously powerfull bikes as well .. though there range must be very short.

worth noting that last year 500W.h was the norm.  Now they package 625W.h in the exact same physical size battery.

My rule of thumb when planning a ride is that I can "easily" get 10km to every 100W/h.  Add in "speed", "hills" (more than 600m), "strong wind" and the spare battery goes with if the range is iffie .....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Phil Gaimon: I'm giving up everesting

Boytjay: i see you, and raise quitting bikes fullstop!!

Edited by Shebeen

Pjil Gaimon: I'm giving up everesting

Boytjay: i see you, and raise quitting bikes fullstop!!

What's next "Why I quit vlogging vlog".

Edited by Patchelicious

Didnt watch, but ill make up my own content anyway.

I guess a super hardcore ‘vegan type’ PC SJW could ‘cancel’ the cycling industry for amongst others reasons....using materials that aren't very PC SJW like. Resins in CF, CF dust itself, petroleum based products, the crap in sealant, getting alumenium out of the earth etc etc

“Bicycles” these days even come with a few kgs worth of lithium in them lol

Ps: dont even mention Brooks products to one...

Cycling is not very ‘vegan’. That makes for sad pandas.

/comic sans/

Edited by MORNE

What's next "Why I quit vlogging vlog".

Please don't worry, you are not discouraging me to ride my bike..!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...