Everesting World Record Update 2

Vanzweelism

Listening to elite athletes talk about their achievements it seems very few of them say "i knew i could do it". Surely this is tbe point of extreme pursuits, you don't know if you can pull it off and pushing yourself to test tbat idea is where the reward is?

It's an interesting paradox. I often feel a kind of humility in sport (cramping all the way up swartberg pass) and yet it also has given me confidence.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... So how many have you done?

Not even a single one more than you.

Well done Mudsimus

Seems we are feeding exactly into what VanZweel wants: getting his name out there and get us talking about him, which builds his profile. You know, no such thing as bad publicity.

So a suggestion to all of us skeptics:

How about we all just leave this thread to its own devices and resist the urge to show him out where his approach was wrong according to us, he seems to have an answer for everything in any case.

I'll look out for the new thread he will surely start after he has broken that world record.

Cheers.

Seems we are feeding exactly into what VanZweel wants: getting his name out there and get us talking about him, which builds his profile. You know, no such thing as bad publicity.

So a suggestion to all of us skeptics:

How about we all just leave this thread to its own devices and resist the urge to show him out where his approach was wrong according to us, he seems to have an answer for everything in any case.

I'll look out for the new thread he will surely start after he has broken that world record.

Cheers.

Good call!

3. When I said completing an Everest in 12 hours is easy I meant that for me personally it is. There's a big difference between riding each ascent at 220 watts versus racing at 290 watts over such a long period of time. I respect anyone who goes out there and gets an Everest done regardless of how long it took them because it is an extreme undertaking.

Actually everything you have said and done has been disrespectful to those that do everests. You a blowhard that needs to learn about humility.

And p.s... If social media is your thing...I would also look at that too because a quick look at your social media profile is cringey to say the least

Actually everything you have said and done has been disrespectful to those that do everests. You a blowhard that needs to learn about humility.

And p.s... If social media is your thing...I would also look at that too because a quick look at your social media profile is cringey to say the least

sshhh

If we all leave, he will have to bump his own thread. That way we will see if he actually does this for himself or for the binary glory.

The fact that people do social media for a living is disturbing though... the world needs less #influencers and more doers

Alright so I'd like to clear up more stuff.

1. Social media is my work so this is one important reason why I like to share the whole process of getting the record. I don't just show success, I show failure too.

2. Dropping refined carbohydrate from your diet means your performance will suffer. Froomey has 500 grams of refined carbs over a 5 hour stage in the grand tours.

3. When I said completing an Everest in 12 hours is easy I meant that for me personally it is. There's a big difference between riding each ascent at 220 watts versus racing at 290 watts over such a long period of time. I respect anyone who goes out there and gets an Everest done regardless of how long it took them because it is an extreme undertaking.

I have my disagreements on your viewpoints on the whole vegan thing and made believe that everesting is easy no matter what you said in point 3. 

But that does not chance the fact that you tried and will go for it again. I will respect that. 

Most people are pretty good at their passion. Most people are really bad at their work. It is very rare when people get to merge their passion and their work, and be successful.

Nothing has changed here. But then I am not a millennial that can be influenced by a photoshopped picture of a vegetable and a hash tag. Kim Kardashian and #beatthemeat just don't inspire.

That link unfortunately highlighted to me that he has a "vegan rap" and it's bad.... Really bad

Anyway.. Maybe it's time he did an everest like all the exceptional people in the country that already have. As they say... Actions speak louder than filthy words

Ha - I made my kids watch that rap a couple of weeks ago. It is now a standing joke in our house

Alright so I'd like to clear up more stuff.

1. Social media is my work so this is one important reason why I like to share the whole process of getting the record. I don't just show success, I show failure too.

2. Dropping refined carbohydrate from your diet means your performance will suffer. Froomey has 500 grams of refined carbs over a 5 hour stage in the grand tours.

Social Media is your work???

Perhaps sharing with your millions of online fans how you are really working hard to build towards a couple of Everests, each one a bit quicker and harder that the last, whilst taking the lessons from each attempt and learning whatever you can from people who have done it, would garner more support and less ridicule than your current approach.

PS - is that rap video serious?

PPS - Wan King is not the capital of China.

Social Media is your work???

Perhaps sharing with your millions of online fans how you are really working hard to build towards a couple of Everests, each one a bit quicker and harder that the last, whilst taking the lessons from each attempt and learning whatever you can from people who have done it, would garner more support and less ridicule than your current approach.

PS - is that rap video serious?

PPS - Wan King is not the capital of China.

Wan King is where you #beatthemeat. Especially if your name is Onan the Barbarian.