Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

you cant be a paid up PPA member until 2022, it only lets you renew until 30 June 2021, I dont see an option to renew for 2022 (on PPA site as an up country member)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you need to know: 

• Event date: 10 October 2021
  • PPA entries open: Monday, 26 April @1pm
  • General entries open: Thursday, 29 April @1pm 
  • Entry link: www.capetowncycletour.com 
  • Entry fee: R595 
  • Refund policy? Yes 
  • Covid-19 protocols in place? Yes
  • Entries available? Limited to 18 000 

For more information on the items above – please read a more detailed description below.

For the past 43 years the Cape Town Cycle Tour, presented by Pick n Pay, has contributed millions of Rand into social upliftment and cycling development through its beneficiaries the Rotary Club of Claremont and the Pedal Power Association.

This has only been possible thanks to the incredible support of the thousands of participants from around the world who turn out each year in support of what the Cycle Tour stands for – the promotion of health and fitness through the sport of cycling while at the same time generating much needed funds for those who are less fortunate. 

The postponement of the March 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour has left many worthy charities in dire need of support and many loyal and enthusiastic cyclists have been greatly disappointed. 

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust is thus extremely pleased to confirm that a new date has now been agreed for the hosting of the 2021 event.

The 43rd edition of the Cape Town Cycle Tour is now scheduled to take place on 10 October 2021, subject to all the necessary permissions being received.

To ensure compliance with national Covid-19 regulations the event will see a revised format and a significantly reduced number of cyclists being permitted to participate. 

Revised format:

Cyclists will no longer, as has been tradition, gather on The Grand Parade and be sent off in start batches. Riders will now be allocated a time slot or ‘start window’ during which they must roll across the official start line (at which point their timing chip will activate their actual start time). Cyclists will need to plan their route to the start carefully to ensure that they cross the start line within the “window time” allocated. These start times will be determined in accordance with seeding requirements to ensure safety on the road. 

Reduced participant numbers:

To ensure the requisite COVID-19 protocols and regulations as stipulated by Government are met, the number of participants permitted to enter the 2021 event will be limited to that prescribed by national legislation at the time. For the purposes of planning and based on current projections we anticipate that no more than 50% of our normal entry limit will be able to be accommodated. As a result, we will only be accepting 18 000 entries (with cyclists adopting the rolling start, spread over a period of 4 hours). In the unfortunate event that the 2021 Cycle Tour should either be cancelled or postponed, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust has developed a comprehensive refund policy which can be viewed on the Cycle Tour website HERE

Entry Process:

• Entries for Pedal Power Association members paid up for 2021/2022 will open on Monday, 26 April 2021 at 1pm. 
  • General entries will open on Thursday, 29 April 2021 at 1pm. 
  • Entries will close when the entry limit is reached.
  • The entry fee for the 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour is R595.00 
Post navigation

PPA renewed again, just like ever year before the entries open haha.

Keen for this, October and March is gonna be rough on the wallet though yoh

So everyone meet at Virgin Active Sea Point, then roll to the start at the same time. 

I get the idea but its not going to stop batches, everyone starting at 6:35-6:40 slot will be there at 6:35, If you arrive there at 6:39, you will just get caught by the 6:40 group, so may as well have started at 6:35. 

I think they missed a trick here, to self seed and spread out the field, they should have started in Town, gone up high level road, then up the Glen then the normal route. The 8% sections would create social distancing.

I don't think is a perfect solution. The idea of social distancing isn't going to work no matter how its structured because 18000 cyclists on the road will all want to get it over and done with before the wind or heat builds up. The only thing they're trying to avoid is large groups gathering at the start by avoiding having the pens. However the net result is the same.

At the end of the day we can debate all aspects of this till the cows come home, including the refunds policy, but we either play the game and roll the dice or stay at home till the pandemic abates for good.

I haven't decided what side of the game I want to be yet. We may treat it as a DC training ride......

Does Club 21 fall under general entries?

I am sure I will receive an email soon but just so I know what day I need to make sure my toppie is logged on at 1pm to enter us.

and before guys start complaining about the entry fee, that seems low to me!!!!!!! compared to other races being held at the moment. I would gladly have paid more before saying hmm they ripping us. Well done CTCT trust.

you cant be a paid up PPA member until 2022, it only lets you renew until 30 June 2021, I dont see an option to renew for 2022 (on PPA site as an up country member)

Yeah, there is no option to renew for 2021/2022. Only till end June 2021.

So might be a typo or they are gonna require that we renew come end of June

I think my PPA membership expires soon, I'm on the fence here... never done a CTCT since I broke my arm right before the last one, then the following was cancelled. Now doing my first one as a TT more than a normal race... not too sure.

I am sure I will receive an email soon but just so I know what day I need to make sure my toppie is logged on at 1pm to enter us.

and before guys start complaining about the entry fee, that seems low to me!!!!!!! compared to other races being held at the moment. I would gladly have paid more before saying hmm they ripping us. Well done CTCT trust.

I think you specials will get a earlier entry or be included in the PPA round. My wife and Father in Law normally get preferential treatment as they have done 10+, but we will see what happens.

As to the entry fee, it is actually exactly what I expected.It was R550 last year, so 595 makes sense. especially if you take they are getting half the entries, plus they still need to make considerable charity contributions for those okes to survive as well.

I think you specials will get a earlier entry or be included in the PPA round. My wife and Father in Law normally get preferential treatment as they have done 10+, but we will see what happens.

As to the entry fee, it is actually exactly what I expected.It was R550 last year, so 595 makes sense. especially if you take they are getting half the entries, plus they still need to make considerable charity contributions for those okes to survive as well.

Your Boss has done more than you???? You need to get her pregnant again so she can't ride.

I am glad they managed to find an alternative date and I will enter team DJR. We will sadly only be three members this time as Senior is now riding where the roads are always smooth, downhill and downwind. I am unsure how practical social distancing will be for an event of this nature and size, but sooner or later I suppose we'll have to work out how it can be done. I trust the organizers to monitor the pandemic situation as we get closer to race day and respond appropriately. I am also pretty sure someone will use the event for a proper scientific study to see what happens afterwards. Interesting times indeed! 

Edited by DJR

Your Boss has done more than you???? You need to get her pregnant again so she can't ride.

Don't start, she rubs it in my face all the time, her 10th one was supposed to be the cancelled one.

Haha, that's a lot of babies to allow me to catch up

On the Website Club21 members and PPA entries open on the 26th.

Joburg guys, what races are planned before the CTCT in October?

I know Tshwane classic and Berg n Dale have dates. Any others?

Ride for Sight?

Gerald, when is the carnival city race planned?

I want to do at least one race before CTCT.

Joburg guys, what races are planned before the CTCT in October?

I know Tshwane classic and Berg n Dale have dates. Any others?

Ride for Sight?

Gerald, when is the carnival city race planned?

I want to do at least one race before CTCT.

Best look at cyclevents.co.za

Personally, I'd love Tshwane Classic, Sun City and R4V. R4V on the door step, SC because I've never done it (but heard the road condition is unfavorable) and Tshwane (because no more Tom Jenkins  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: ).

To help a mate new to road racing get a decent seeding for RJ947.

any idea about the expo? or if there will be racetec stalls on raceday and such if there will be no "starting area". My chip was on my bike when i got bikejacked last year. When i got the bike back all those bits were gone so i need a new one. I already paid for one last year already...there just hasn't been an event or opportunity to collect a new one obviously.

anyway..pretty sure we were already full of covid when last year's race and expo happened. I remember standing waiting in the line for it to open and overhearing people talking about company executives narrowly escaping Italy at the time but being sick and staying home as to avoid any public interest. Everybody was still just nonchalant about it. 

Edited by MORNE

Best look at cyclevents.co.za

Personally, I'd love Tshwane Classic, Sun City and R4V. R4V on the door step, SC because I've never done it (but heard the road condition is unfavorable) and Tshwane (because no more Tom Jenkins  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: ).

To help a mate new to road racing get a decent seeding for RJ947.

I would consider giving SC a skip, there is always a serious crash involving a car.