Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's a good thing to break the "Let's Race" mentality of these big events. People may enjoy being forced to chill and enjoy the day.

If the seeding is appropriate you will start off with equally capable riders and groups will form along the route. Sticking it out together against the wind will still happen, maybe in smaller groups initially, but those groups might merge and form the big groups we are used to seeing anyways.

Could be good experiment if the 2021 editions continues as planned.

For the guys who need the thrill of racing, you might even be able to race whoever is around you in the given group. Attack up Suikerbossie and see whether nobody follows you.

Or, just step up and get yourself into one of those Vets Starting Batches...

In what way?

1. Mass congregation at the start to be ready for the opening of starting windows.
  2. Early arrivals blocking better seeded riders from being able to get to and safely start their race.
  3. Chaotic full gas starts.
  4. Massive groups forming on the road.

I guess you could solve it by having different loading areas for those with different starting windows, and also not having start windows overlapping so that you stagger those from different windows out a bit, and also... oh wait... those are just shoots and separate start times...

1. Mass congregation at the start to be ready for the opening of starting windows.
  2. Early arrivals blocking better seeded riders from being able to get to and safely start their race.

I guess you could solve it by having different loading areas for those with different starting windows, and also not having start windows overlapping so that you stagger those from different windows out a bit, and also... oh wait... those are just shoots and separate start times...

I think you are having a fit without having any actual information. 

Chill and let's see what they come up with before negative nancying all over everything.

This sounds pretty much like every normal year... and I've started quite early since 2001.

The number of people we see on our way to our shutes every year, whose numbers indicate they should only start HOURS later, is always surprising.

I think you are having a fit without having any actual information. 

Chill and let's see what they come up with before negative nancying all over everything.

Problem with text comms perhaps.

My intended tone is very much "I wonder how they foresee doing this, because a blanket approach could potential cause major issues for the fast okes."

Hopefully your attacking text (having a fit, negative nancying) also reads more aggressive than intended?

This sounds pretty much like every normal year... and I've started quite early since 2001.

The number of people we see on our way to our shutes every year, whose numbers indicate they should only start HOURS later, is always surprising.

depending on where you stay in cape town is most often easier to get there early before the road closures.

Problem with text comms perhaps.

My intended tone is very much "I wonder how they foresee doing this, because a blanket approach could potential cause major issues for the fast okes."

Hopefully your attacking text (having a fit, negative nancying) also reads more aggressive than intended?

hahahaha I'm not attacking you. I just don't see why every thing needs to have holes poked at it before all the facts are out. 

I also still can't see how rolling starts are going to be any more hazardous than a normal cute start and/or how human dumbness re early arrivals etc is any different to normal years at the start.

The organisers put solutions and plans in place, it's up to us as individuals to actually follow them and not be rubbish.

This is unfortunately where most plans and solutions fail

what I do know is that PPA members and Club21 members get first dis on the entries....

<better head over to PPA and renew>

..... snip ....

I don't see an issue with a rolling start at all. I'm not in an elite batch and winning C batch to come 74th means nothing to me. I'm still 74th.

..... snip ....

74th ....  :eek:  :eek:  :eek: 

en hoe moet die res van ons voel?  :ph34r:   :whistling:   :ph34r: 

with any luck I may (one day) be in the 74th starting BUNCH  .....

Few events so diverse as the Argus, sorry CTCT.  The very best having a race up front.  The next batch doing their best to get a sub-three hour .... and the vast masses just having a blast of a day.

As you were, I am off to the garage to work on the carrier for my spare battery ....  :whistling:

All jibing aside, HOPE this event does go ahead ... in which ever format it takes to make it work  :thumbup:

74th ....  :eek:  :eek:  :eek: 

en hoe moet die res van ons voel?  :ph34r:   :whistling:   :ph34r: 

with any luck I may (one day) be in the 74th starting BUNCH  .....

Few events so diverse as the Argus, sorry CTCT.  The very best having a race up front.  The next batch doing their best to get a sub-three hour .... and the vast masses just having a blast of a day.

As you were, I am off to the garage to work on the carrier for my spare battery ....  :whistling:

All jibing aside, HOPE this event does go ahead ... in which ever format it takes to make it work  :thumbup:

Don't forget those trying to break the 3:30,then the 4:00 then the 5:00 and so it goes on.

Looks like Mr Winde is busy putting with firey matters so please forgive him for not getting to the baiesikkel race

Yeah that is way more important right now. Anyone questioning the delay of the CTCT announcement is very short sighted. Praying for all you CT guys right now.

We are too. Fire suppression is working overtime. University and Walmer estates had to evacuate yesterday. Smoke everywhere. It stinks in the city right now. Still burning but under control. They hope to have it out by tomorrow if the wind plays ball

What you need to know: 

• Event date: 10 October 2021

PPA entries open: Monday, 26 April @1pm

General entries open: Thursday, 29 April @1pm 

Entry link: www.capetowncycletour.com 

Entry fee: R595 

Refund policy? Yes 

Covid-19 protocols in place? Yes

Entries available? Limited to 18 000 

For more information on the items above – please read a more detailed description below.

For the past 43 years the Cape Town Cycle Tour, presented by Pick n Pay, has contributed millions of Rand into social upliftment and cycling development through its beneficiaries the Rotary Club of Claremont and the Pedal Power Association.

This has only been possible thanks to the incredible support of the thousands of participants from around the world who turn out each year in support of what the Cycle Tour stands for – the promotion of health and fitness through the sport of cycling while at the same time generating much needed funds for those who are less fortunate. 

The postponement of the March 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour has left many worthy charities in dire need of support and many loyal and enthusiastic cyclists have been greatly disappointed. 

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust is thus extremely pleased to confirm that a new date has now been agreed for the hosting of the 2021 event.

The 43rd edition of the Cape Town Cycle Tour is now scheduled to take place on 10 October 2021, subject to all the necessary permissions being received.

To ensure compliance with national Covid-19 regulations the event will see a revised format and a significantly reduced number of cyclists being permitted to participate. 

Revised format:

Cyclists will no longer, as has been tradition, gather on The Grand Parade and be sent off in start batches. Riders will now be allocated a time slot or ‘start window’ during which they must roll across the official start line (at which point their timing chip will activate their actual start time). Cyclists will need to plan their route to the start carefully to ensure that they cross the start line within the “window time” allocated. These start times will be determined in accordance with seeding requirements to ensure safety on the road. 

Reduced participant numbers:

To ensure the requisite COVID-19 protocols and regulations as stipulated by Government are met, the number of participants permitted to enter the 2021 event will be limited to that prescribed by national legislation at the time. For the purposes of planning and based on current projections we anticipate that no more than 50% of our normal entry limit will be able to be accommodated. As a result, we will only be accepting 18 000 entries (with cyclists adopting the rolling start, spread over a period of 4 hours). In the unfortunate event that the 2021 Cycle Tour should either be cancelled or postponed, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust has developed a comprehensive refund policy which can be viewed on the Cycle Tour website HERE

Entry Process:

• Entries for Pedal Power Association members paid up for 2021/2022 will open on Monday, 26 April 2021 at 1pm. 

General entries will open on Thursday, 29 April 2021 at 1pm. 

Entries will close when the entry limit is reached.

The entry fee for the 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour is R595.00 

Post navigation

Edited by DieselnDust

What you need to know: 

• Event date: 10 October 2021
  • PPA entries open: Monday, 26 April @1pm
  • General entries open: Thursday, 29 April @1pm 
  • Entry link: www.capetowncycletour.com 
  • Entry fee: R595 
  • Refund policy? Yes 
  • Covid-19 protocols in place? Yes
  • Entries available? Limited to 18 000 

For more information on the items above – please read a more detailed description below.

For the past 43 years the Cape Town Cycle Tour, presented by Pick n Pay, has contributed millions of Rand into social upliftment and cycling development through its beneficiaries the Rotary Club of Claremont and the Pedal Power Association.

This has only been possible thanks to the incredible support of the thousands of participants from around the world who turn out each year in support of what the Cycle Tour stands for – the promotion of health and fitness through the sport of cycling while at the same time generating much needed funds for those who are less fortunate. 

The postponement of the March 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour has left many worthy charities in dire need of support and many loyal and enthusiastic cyclists have been greatly disappointed. 

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust is thus extremely pleased to confirm that a new date has now been agreed for the hosting of the 2021 event.

The 43rd edition of the Cape Town Cycle Tour is now scheduled to take place on 10 October 2021, subject to all the necessary permissions being received.

To ensure compliance with national Covid-19 regulations the event will see a revised format and a significantly reduced number of cyclists being permitted to participate. 

Revised format:

Cyclists will no longer, as has been tradition, gather on The Grand Parade and be sent off in start batches. Riders will now be allocated a time slot or ‘start window’ during which they must roll across the official start line (at which point their timing chip will activate their actual start time). Cyclists will need to plan their route to the start carefully to ensure that they cross the start line within the “window time” allocated. These start times will be determined in accordance with seeding requirements to ensure safety on the road. 

Reduced participant numbers:

To ensure the requisite COVID-19 protocols and regulations as stipulated by Government are met, the number of participants permitted to enter the 2021 event will be limited to that prescribed by national legislation at the time. For the purposes of planning and based on current projections we anticipate that no more than 50% of our normal entry limit will be able to be accommodated. As a result, we will only be accepting 18 000 entries (with cyclists adopting the rolling start, spread over a period of 4 hours). In the unfortunate event that the 2021 Cycle Tour should either be cancelled or postponed, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust has developed a comprehensive refund policy which can be viewed on the Cycle Tour website HERE

Entry Process:

• Entries for Pedal Power Association members paid up for 2021/2022 will open on Monday, 26 April 2021 at 1pm. 
  • General entries will open on Thursday, 29 April 2021 at 1pm. 
  • Entries will close when the entry limit is reached.
  • The entry fee for the 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour is R595.00 
Post navigation

So everyone meet at Virgin Active Sea Point, then roll to the start at the same time. 

I get the idea but its not going to stop batches, everyone starting at 6:35-6:40 slot will be there at 6:35, If you arrive there at 6:39, you will just get caught by the 6:40 group, so may as well have started at 6:35. 

I think they missed a trick here, to self seed and spread out the field, they should have started in Town, gone up high level road, then up the Glen then the normal route. The 8% sections would create social distancing.