Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

like the video posted earlier about the woman with the dog

....the irony of it all is hilarious. So you post a video of someone freaking out because you confronted them about something. So basically you are being a Karen...posting a video about a Karen...being a Karen.

thats some deepdive Karenception right there

Yeah but no. I think that chap knew what was coming and it was a damn good idea to video it. If he didn’t video it, I doubt people would have believed him.

As was said by the Pres, it is in our hands now.

Don't mind the curtain twitchers too much. I wanted to say "use common logic", but we all have different views on what is "acceptable risk"

Everyone who lives with you under the same roof is fair game for exercise in a "group" outside.

Where it gets tricky is people from different households exercising together, as you do not know their hygiene practices, or that of the other people in their homes/places of work, which you are now linked to via your trainer partner. (Asymptomatic/presymptomatic infectiousness etc)

But if you sit at the front of the group in the wind the whole day I'd say you are safe as can be... don't know about the guys behind you though...

As time moves on I can feel my vigilance just moving down a notch or two, which is actually not the right thing to do, as our numbers are only increasing and we need to stay vigilant.

It is not about pleasing the Karen's and not being pulled over by the cops. It is about you and me, and reducing our own risk, while still enjoying the things we like.

Riding around in a group of 10, for 3 hours, in close proximity, with your buffs around your necks isn't worth the risk for me right now, but for others it might be.

Sadly common logic seems absent with many on this thread ....

Living in a hotspot, and pushing to ride in groups from other house holds ....

Clearly the concept of social distancing eludes some .... :(

Each to their own .... we will do our bit.

Edited by ChrisF

For the Karen's

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/trending/351735-here-are-the-new-level-3-lockdown-rules.html

Wearing a mask while exercising is NOW compulsory under level 3

Well in that case arrest me.

I ran this morning in the rain and if I'd been wearing a mask I'd have drowned in my own snot & sweat mixed with a little rain.

I came up with a GENIUS solution for lighting. I used my old dakine mini pack. I zip tied my bike light to my shoulder strap and the rear light to some bits at the back. My other half called me a Ryan Sandes wannabe but it worked really well.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

For the Karen's

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/trending/351735-here-are-the-new-level-3-lockdown-rules.html

as in you are 'compelled' to do so.

still can't be forced from legal perspective...unless they wrote it into law (which they cant) and provided each and every person with free masks. they cant force anyone to make or buy anything.

even though i still see the od person here and there not wearing anything, I think we have generally gotten to the point where it is really frowned upon to be seen without one....you''ll probably get same looks cruising down the street in your underwear lol

anyway. meh

Edited by morneS555

For the Karen's

Yep, the regulations under level 4 were not clear enough on this, assuming their intention was that you must be masked up when you move outside your residence. I remember something along the lines of "masks to be worn when in public space", but that regulation wasn't mentioned again in the exercise rule, so people argued it is not required when exercising.

The level 3 wording seems less open to interpretation, the exercise section refers specifically to health protocols. And 33.(2) is clear that when in a public place a mask or other covering must be worn.

I'm wondering, if a face shield is a good enough face covering then while exercising? Allot of the supermarket staff seem to be wearing them while working, so surely it is sufficient, legally speaking?

I'm still convinced a mask does good work during exercise in keeping allot of the exhaled droplets and vapour on the person that carries it, whereas a face shield does little to none of that, but could arguably be legal. 

So TT helmet with windshield is good enough?

You cannot remove the restriction of movement and then say "only 5km from home".

If we keep drawing attention to these things we only shoot ourselves in the foot.

Clearly there are journalists and toilet peer salesmen looking to write something negative about cyclists because sensationalist pooh sells. 

Edited by DieselnDust

Even though the L3 regs are called 'final final' theres still 3 more days....

Ja. We should know by now that logic and the rules are 2 very different things.

It's fine to get on a plane with 200 strangers or be a god botherer with 49 other randoms but you can't get a haircut.

nice wet ride this morning, got to try the anatomic mask. You breathe in so easily you actually wonder if it filters anything :D

I guess it's still better than nothing. I'll take it for high intensity and use the ciovita for regular rides / shopping as they seem to filter much more

also...the really nazi ones wont even allow you to take video on your cellphone for your partner becasue it is usually not allowed in anycase. So yes...my first experience as a dad to be so far has been limited to secondhand still photos....

but i digress.

I am sure it's done via USB now as technology has evolved but 10 years ago they would record the scan directly from the scanner onto a CD for me that I could then play to show my parents their first grandchild's picture and heartbeat etc.   

So maybe ask them if they can do that for you? 

Edited by Red Robin