Masks when riding

I’ve been wearing a buff through many winters without glasses misting up (clear and sunny’s).

76f66d8953cf633912c64970f00bf1bb.jpg

d12890e7e3273f0fe39e8e81df0fe04c.jpg

abd2a09c9d7685f17f3c0e4b151df5c4.jpg

Same for me. I wear a buff most times, mainly to keep the cold and the wind out of my ears.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my thoughts,

You can still breathe when wearing a mask / buff so best to wear one to reduce excuses to ban exercise.

If it gets difficult either

1. Reduce intensity

2. Suck it up it'll make your lungs stronger

3. Put the buf down and then pull it up again if you see any police

I saw am this post, summing up why we should wear a mask:

6a51c9f4061cb2da009a8500ccce8f18.jpg

I used a buff for this morning's ride.

Turns out I pulled it even higher half way through the ride ... encountered a bit of mist and a lekka cool section mid ride !

Felt "strange" during the first climb.  And then it was fine ....

Enough others begging for this exercise opportunity to be stopped .... I wont be part of them !   Really not an issue to ride with a buff.

I saw am this post, summing up why we should wear a mask:

6a51c9f4061cb2da009a8500ccce8f18.jpg

Awesome analogy, gonna get them to put that up in the shop

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I wore a buff but on the last hill breathing in my in my own sweat was a bit tough - I’m a sweaty bastard

Beats not riding and many sections around here where there are no other peeps and I can just pull it down

Edited by Waynemol

I wore a buff but on the last hill breathing in my in my own sweat was a bit tough - I’m a sweaty bastard

Beats not riding and many sections around here where there are no other peeps and I can just pull it down

I had exactly the same experience, 10 minutes in and it felt like I was being water-boarded, that sweaty buff sealed up properly.  Will have to test the buff handicap vs free breathing when this is all done. 

I know that there are restrictive training masks which are supposed to optimise breathing/ simulate high altitude but the data seems a bit inconclusive.

Here's my thoughts,

You can still breathe when wearing a mask / buff so best to wear one to reduce excuses to ban exercise.

If it gets difficult either

1. Reduce intensity

2. Suck it up it'll make your lungs stronger

3. Put the buf down and then pull it up again if you see any police

So those are the only reasons you feel it is necessary to wear a mask?

Ironic...the 10 or so kids that muck about in my street kicking cans about don't wear masks....
Why should we bother?
If I see the pigs around I will pull it over my nose etc...otherwise no chance...

Edited by Mojoman

On my ride this morn 630am I had my usual buff under helmet which I always have on (keeps sun off in summer & warm in winter). I could breathe mostly. When I couldn't breathe- I lowered it below my nose or mouth for a while with no one else around me ,or going uphill. I don't mind the buff much when its cold, keeps me warm at least.

Did notice many riders and joggers with masks or buffs- and many walkers with no masks...

Also many ppl walking the streets, ... with no masks......

And people still ask why we need rules to govern our every move ....

Sheep...baaaaaa!

South Africans are a bunch of a-holes. A minority wearing masks today, far less so than yesterday.

I can only hope people get arrested long before DZ pulls the plug on outdoor exercise. 

Ironic...the 10 or so kids that muck about in my street kicking cans about don't wear masks....

Why should we bother?

If I see the pigs around I will pull it over my nose etc...otherwise no chance...

Because you may have COVID-19 and not know it. The point of you wearing a mask is – largely – to protect others. Plus you are compromising our temporary right to exercise outdoors.

Don't be selfish. 

South Africans are a bunch of a-holes. A minority wearing masks today, far less so than yesterday.

I can only hope people get arrested long before DZ pulls the plug on outdoor exercise. 

'Compulsory' wearing of masks are not going to make any difference in South Africa...

Do you think the poorer communities are going to be wasting R30+ on a mask? Or will they just reuse old masks....swop masks amongst themselves. Are they going to wash it after every use and leave it in the sun? There are people all over in town this morning...its month end and hardly anyone has a mask on and not a single piglet in sight....

People are deluded....!