Jonkershoek fire 2021

Zawillow

Hello Everyone,

Please drop me an email should you require any further clarity (bobby.behan@specialized.com).

Thanks for the clarity Bobby. And for all your inputs into Jonkers.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A note to the hubbers calling for a volunteer trail build day:

Volunteer trail builders are pretty useful as free labour, so we are good at cutting foliage away, and moving soil, but when it comes to the finishing touches and getting a trail riding just right, then we need proper supervision and input from experienced builders.

I built a pump track in my garden in lockdown. Two berms and a couple of rollers. It was very therapeutic, but after spending most of my free time for a couple of days, all I had was a track that didn't work. At all. I realised that the fundamentals like berm radius, angle and roller size need to be right from the start, otherwise you redo your work over and over and over.

So long before we can help out with grunt work, Bennet and Co will need to figure out what can be saved and how to do it. So it be a while before we can add our bit of sweat to JH.

Hello Everyone,

It's Bobby Behan here from Specialized.

I just saw the post and agree that our messaging needs to be clarified. 

For little over a decade we (Specialized) have straight-up donated money to Jonkershoek without really pulling the community into feeling a part of it. Many asked how they can be part of it. Given the seriousness of the situation this past weekend we had to quickly figure out on Monday how to go about this and turn it around. We were going to contribute money regardless!

If you go to The Specialized-Stellenbosch Store and buy something the entire retail value of that sale will go to the trails to a maximum of ZAR 300,000. The product you purchase does not need to be a Specialized Product. You might like some lube, a pair of Oakley's, some components, Leatt products, a bicycle service etc. I reiterate ... there are no hidden margins. It is retail for retail. We transfer the entire retail price paid to the trails. The store is contributing and covering the cost, not head office.

For me personally, Jonkershoek is certainly a passion project. I have been working on this since 2009 long before I worked for Specialized here in South Africa and will continue to do so. I don't have to buy a bicycle every few years so that at least helps me justify my personal contribution :)

Generally each year Specialized pay 150k towards the trails. In 2020 this represented 25% of the total spend, however, in normal years this is 12-15%. In addition, on a voluntary basis, I help trail builder Bennet Nel/MTO with the administration and planning around the trails, the back-end work. I like spreadsheets ... Bennet hates them :) I enjoy doing this and working with Bennet. I just got positive news this morning, thanks to Giniel de Villiers, that Toyota will contribute 150k. More to follow on this ...

The branding really helps justify the spend. For years we were paying without doing anything, it was more like Bobby's passion project which is also not right. We opted to erect the branding for this reason. For clarity the branding was up before the coffee shop story.

Thanks for all of your support. Please drop me an email should you require any further clarity (bobby.behan@specialized.com).

As the guy who maybe tipped the conversation in the wrong direction, it was all just a ploy to get you here to comment and for people to show support!

I fully apologise for that and the comparison to KFC, thanks for all the work and hard yards. i look forward to a return to jonkers again 

So long before we can help out with grunt work, Bennet and Co will need to figure out what can be saved and how to do it. So it be a while before we can add our bit of sweat to JH.

They already asking for volunteers for this thursday.

Is it just Jonkers that burnt?  There was some talk about the Eden trails and G-Spot - did the fires make their way there too?

Is it just Jonkers that burnt? There was some talk about the Eden trails and G-Spot - did the fires make their way there too?

Eden and GSpot came out unscathed, it did burn higher up though.

I got this video via WhatsApp, author unknown.

It is a small glimpse behind the scenes, of the heroes and those supporting them.

BIG THANKS TO ONE AND ALL FOR FIGHTING THESE FIRES  :thumbup:

Can confirm, the fire fighters that got hurt are all doing fine  :clap:   :clap:

Before we break this down - its an amazing initiative anyway...

But they're basically subsidising the donation. Margins probably around 40-60%, so in donating 300k they're still donating a proper whack. And if you can give something back to people and get more people to have some S equipment, it's a win allround....

margin on a water bottle 100-120%

accessories 80-100%

I got this video via WhatsApp, author unknown.

It is a small glimpse behind the scenes, of the heroes and those supporting them.

BIG THANKS TO ONE AND ALL FOR FIGHTING THESE FIRES  :thumbup:

Can confirm, the fire fighters that got hurt are all doing fine  :clap:   :clap:

mmmm I cannot see the number on that Heli - but it does not look like your usual ones. Is it perhaps off the american boats in the harbour ?

Such great news that some passionate corporates are getting involved and so willing to give back, regardless of exactly how they are doing it.

I'd love to help on build days, I might even put in a days leave if I can plan in advance. Although there will have to be many, its still great to get involved and its a show how passionate people are about our trails.

Saw a newsflash about the first and only all-women fire fighting team that was involved

Respect!

Hello Everyone,

It's Bobby Behan here from Specialized.

I just saw the post and agree that our messaging needs to be clarified. 

For little over a decade we (Specialized) have straight-up donated money to Jonkershoek without really pulling the community into feeling a part of it. Many asked how they can be part of it. Given the seriousness of the situation this past weekend we had to quickly figure out on Monday how to go about this and turn it around. We were going to contribute money regardless!

If you go to The Specialized-Stellenbosch Store and buy something the entire retail value of that sale will go to the trails to a maximum of ZAR 300,000. The product you purchase does not need to be a Specialized Product. You might like some lube, a pair of Oakley's, some components, Leatt products, a bicycle service etc. I reiterate ... there are no hidden margins. It is retail for retail. We transfer the entire retail price paid to the trails. The store is contributing and covering the cost, not head office.

For me personally, Jonkershoek is certainly a passion project. I have been working on this since 2009 long before I worked for Specialized here in South Africa and will continue to do so. I don't have to buy a bicycle every few years so that at least helps me justify my personal contribution :)

Generally each year Specialized pay 150k towards the trails. In 2020 this represented 25% of the total spend, however, in normal years this is 12-15%. In addition, on a voluntary basis, I help trail builder Bennet Nel/MTO with the administration and planning around the trails, the back-end work. I like spreadsheets ... Bennet hates them :) I enjoy doing this and working with Bennet. I just got positive news this morning, thanks to Giniel de Villiers, that Toyota will contribute 150k. More to follow on this ...

The branding really helps justify the spend. For years we were paying without doing anything, it was more like Bobby's passion project which is also not right. We opted to erect the branding for this reason. For clarity the branding was up before the coffee shop story.

Thanks for all of your support. Please drop me an email should you require any further clarity (bobby.behan@specialized.com).

Hope this settles it. And can we all just support, regardless of brands? Geez 

Saw a newsflash about the first and only all-women fire fighting team that was involved

Respect!

Google "Arlene Wehr"

Exceptional lady !!

PS ... Stellenbosch is NOT part of the City of Cape Town, thus not part of Arlene's division.

Bertie Brandsen and his team takes care of Stellenbosch and Franschoek.

mmmm I cannot see the number on that Heli - but it does not look like your usual ones. Is it perhaps off the american boats in the harbour ?

The helicopter in the pics is the Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk. Mark Jackson and his company Leading Edge Aviation is contracted by Working on Fire to assist in the Western Cape during fire season (other part of the year they are at home base in Nelspruit). They are using the Black Hawk (appropriately also known as the Fire Hawk) as well as Hueys (Bell UH-1).

So, no the helicopter did not come from the American boats. ????

Google "Arlene Wehr"

Exceptional lady !!

PS ... Stellenbosch is NOT part of the City of Cape Town, thus not part of Arlene's division.

Bertie Brandsen and his team takes care of Stellenbosch and Franschoek.

Nothing of value to add from my side, but Brandsen is a fitting surname for a firefighter!