Double Century 2021

Pure Savage

Hindsight is always 20/20.

But anyways I'm not arguing with you mate, I wasn't there so I can't really comment.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, openmind said:

No it's not pointless, let's discuss this because it is important. The DC is not some local fun ride, it's one of the best events on the calendar, a monument if you like (our Milan San-Remo?). It's an institution with a lot of history (and the entry fee to match) and the organiser needs to respect that. I do have an idea of what it takes to organise events and I know that sometimes stuff happens and you have to cancel. But a big event like this with a huge budget and a major prestigious sponsor must do better. As I said, the least they can do is communicate. 

Maybe they could have communicated better I'll give you that - but ok, lets discuss a few general points

You genuinely think a massive event like the Double Century would get approval from any authority without having a disaster plan in place?

Remember that extreme weather do not exclusively affect cyclists on one spot only, its a potential disaster for everybody in the area and can move around during the day. Emergency vehicles & ambulances needs unobstructed access to main roads, hospitals that have limited capacity already need to have capacity with potential disasters. (Recall that George was flooded earlier the week) Most likely the final call was not event made by the organisers themselves but by the local authorities/disaster management. 

Just try to think about the practicalities, logistics, costs & red tape involved in changing to a completely new route on the morning of the race or simply switching the race to another day. And even if they could, I remember the part of the road being completely destroyed by a flash flood just prior to the 2012 DC (at the top of the 2nd b&tch) and it took more than a year to rebuild - so even your alternative route is not weather proof. There really aren't practical plan B, C and D options for extreme weather on the morning of the race.

Its great that the weather cleared up in the morning and people were at least still able to ride the route, but that scenario wasn't a given at 6h00 in the morning.

1 hour ago, openmind said:

Without more info I can only assume lazy organisers who feel they can take the easy option 'cause the event will just sell out again next year anyway. 

I mean, leaving outdated info from last year on various pages of your website until 24 hours before the event screams of lazy organisers that do not respect their entrants and the millions they paid... ????

12 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I mean, leaving outdated info from last year on various pages of your website until 24 hours before the event screams of lazy organisers that do not respect their entrants and the millions they paid... ????

You went there….

No it's not pointless, let's discuss this because it is important. The DC is not some local fun ride, it's one of the best events on the calendar, a monument if you like (our Milan San-Remo?). It's an institution with a lot of history (and the entry fee to match) and the organiser needs to respect that. I do have an idea of what it takes to organise events and I know that sometimes stuff happens and you have to cancel. But a big event like this with a huge budget and a major prestigious sponsor must do better. As I said, the least they can do is communicate. 

There is a Government Gazette that deals with "event permits", and what must be in place to host an event.

The "Local Authority" (municipality) must sign off before the event goes ahead.  In fact, there are multiple sign off stages.  The first being months before the event, the last sign off being on the Friday afternoon when the Council checks everything is in place.  Believe me when I say it is high drama on a Friday afternoon when the fire chief does not see the fire extinguisher in place, of the safety officer does not see a barricade, etc.  (I have some experience of this)

Because it is a mass participation event EVERYTHING is buttoned down, to the last detail.  With road races the key part is road closures such as the pass between Montagu and Ashton.

With hind sight it is easy to say: "Just start the race 2 or 3 hours later."

The permits do NOT allow such random changes.

The mere fact that the pass is even closed for a few hours is no small victory.  There is just no way they can "just" book it for another 3 hours.

If an event organiser dared to go outside of their approved plan, they would be black-listed and wont ever get approval in that district again.

Just for interest sake.  Swellendam has its own municipality, and an event permit would be required from them.  Ashton and Montagu is one municipality, and yet another event application.  Almost think Robertson falls under Ashton, which would make it easier than if was part of Worcester.

I am sure these organisers did not "willy-nilly" cancel the event.

All that said, I do feel sorry for each and every rider that put in the time and money to get to the start, and to have the event cancelled. 

45 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

There is a Government Gazette that deals with "event permits", and what must be in place to host an event.

The "Local Authority" (municipality) must sign off before the event goes ahead.  In fact, there are multiple sign off stages.  The first being months before the event, the last sign off being on the Friday afternoon when the Council checks everything is in place.  Believe me when I say it is high drama on a Friday afternoon when the fire chief does not see the fire extinguisher in place, of the safety officer does not see a barricade, etc.  (I have some experience of this)

Because it is a mass participation event EVERYTHING is buttoned down, to the last detail.  With road races the key part is road closures such as the pass between Montagu and Ashton.

With hind sight it is easy to say: "Just start the race 2 or 3 hours later."

The permits do NOT allow such random changes.

The mere fact that the pass is even closed for a few hours is no small victory.  There is just no way they can "just" book it for another 3 hours.

If an event organiser dared to go outside of their approved plan, they would be black-listed and wont ever get approval in that district again.

Just for interest sake.  Swellendam has its own municipality, and an event permit would be required from them.  Ashton and Montagu is one municipality, and yet another event application.  Almost think Robertson falls under Ashton, which would make it easier than if was part of Worcester.

I am sure these organisers did not "willy-nilly" cancel the event.

All that said, I do feel sorry for each and every rider that put in the time and money to get to the start, and to have the event cancelled. 

My point was that with a budget of over R3m they could have made prior alternative arrangements with other authorities to fall back on in case of a problem with Plan A. I'm not saying they should have called a snap route change on the morning of the event, of course that's impossible. But have it organised up front just in case. That is the responsible thing to do. The Argus managed to reroute with short notice when there were fires. And they have 10 times more entrants, and in a dense urban setting. Just have a plan and communicate. Heck, they could even have said, sorry race is off boys but go ride to Ashton and back and we'll stand up a waterpoint at the halfway mark. Just try something. 

Maybe it's just a Covid thing - we've all been beaten into being so risk averse we can't do anything edgy anymore. I for one was looking forward to riding in a rainstorm for 200km. Beats sitting at my desk shouting at the Internet. 

7 minutes ago, openmind said:

My point was that with a budget of over R3m they could have made prior alternative arrangements with other authorities to fall back on in case of a problem with Plan A. I'm not saying they should have called a snap route change on the morning of the event, of course that's impossible. But have it organised up front just in case. That is the responsible thing to do. The Argus managed to reroute with short notice when there were fires. And they have 10 times more entrants, and in a dense urban setting. Just have a plan and communicate. Heck, they could even have said, sorry race is off boys but go ride to Ashton and back and we'll stand up a waterpoint at the halfway mark. Just try something. 

Maybe it's just a Covid thing - we've all been beaten into being so risk averse we can't do anything edgy anymore. I for one was looking forward to riding in a rainstorm for 200km. Beats sitting at my desk shouting at the Internet. 

You do realise that DC is put on by the CT cycle tour trust..ie the dudes who run the Argus.

Moan as much as you want, but they are the most experienced team at large scale road events locally. There is no way they didn't have all these contingencies in place, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they followed an actual plan with these outcomes..

4 hours ago, TIB said:

That happens when there are too many snowflakes in a race..... bit of a chill did not stop the 2014 To Hell and Back, also in November ????

Snow.jpg

Been up there in the snow all me myself I, it was magic, but I would think twice if I had to decide for others.. ????????

There are no "alternative authorities".

And NO, they are NOT allowed to "put up water tables" outside of their very specific event permit(s).  

The ONLY way to change this .... approach Government and have a new Gazette published for events.

PS - I work with these authorities on a regular basis.  They work STRICTLY to the Gazetted Regulations !  A fire chief did not follow the letter of the law, and when a client instituted legal action against HIM, in his personal capacity the Local Authority stepped back, as he could not show that he followed the letter of the law.  Cost him his job and all his savings and then some to hire an attorney ....  This played out in 2009 to 2012.  Not a single Local Authority official dare step out of turn now .....  As soon as we try a "rational approach" we very quickly reminded of the 2009 incident.

Methinks, the most likely spanner in the works would have been disaster management of the area who said they could not give the final OK. Just in case they needed all their ambulances, firemen, rescuers etc for a bigger natural disaster, like what parts of the Garden Route had two weekends in a row. But of course, that's just my thumbsuck.   

The point is ,plan b should have been in place more than a month ago.

Everything about this year's DC felt rushed and last minute. It showed.

Website updates not be implemented till Thursday

No plan B

For a R13k entry I expect Better.

The goodie bag was great though.

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The point is ,plan b should have been in place more than a month ago.

Everything about this year's DC felt rushed and last minute. It showed.

Website updates not be implemented till Thursday

No plan B

For a R13k entry I expect Better.

The goodie bag was great though.

In line with much of the discussion and what DJR mentioned, what could plan B entail conceivably?  SASREA requirements are pretty comprehensive. 

Nobody stopped people riding the route, you were just asked to take off your number and be safe while doing it at your own risk.

Just for those that are not up to speed with events, if you cancel or not, you still pay all your suppliers and event staff etc. That R3m in entry fees does not go far when organizing such a large event, main reason there is a sponsor.

Sounds like this thread needs more pictures from en route.

57 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

In line with much of the discussion and what DJR mentioned, what could plan B entail conceivably?  SASREA requirements are pretty comprehensive. 

Plan to have the permissions available for the Sunday as well.

3 hours ago, openmind said:

In 2017 they had something like a week's notice to reroute, wasn't done on the morning of the race. And still it was touch and go, event was almost cancelled.  2018 they had bad weather on the morning of the race and the race was cancelled.

2012 a section of the R60 was destroyed 2 weeks before the DC, contractors managed to build a portage section around it. But again, they had time to do it. You have unrealistic expectations on how trivial it is to do rerouting.