Request from Gym at Grosvenor Crossing, Byranston to those who take off from there (Peaceful and with Cycling Love)

OVERDRIVE

23 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I stopped drinking branna's and coke in 1996 after the last incident of me getting in a bit of an altercation at Camelot in Mosselbaai after I chaffed some lady's who were attached to some Namibian rugby players. The blokes were not too keen on me getting the attention from the ladies I was getting,  and decided to get a bit "friendly". After they got evicted by the bouncers my mates also decided to call it a night. Poor timing on their behalf as we left right about the same time they got kicked out.

The short version. 

A car chase ensued with me riding shotgun in the front of Philip's Ford Capri V6. We were being pursued by the Namibian gang in their 80's Honda Ballade down Bland Street towards the Point. It started raining. I calmly pointed out to Philip we weren't going to make the corner. We didn't. We barely missed slamming head on into a light pole at well over 100 km/h. I ended up sprinting up the street with a Namibian front row player throwing a wheel spanner at me. Sparks as the spanner hit the road. Me ducking and diving and getting away. Finding my mates. No injuries thankfully. Getting told by the occifer to "shurrup since drunk students aren't allowed to make statements". Getting dropped off at rez in the back of SAPS van. Being the talk of the town the following morning despite all participants in the adventure living in the same dorm.

Oh, to be a student again.

haha I lived in Mossel Bay 90 - 95 Remember The Camelot well, also got into a lot of trouble there, mostly with the wife when i eventually got home.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Trashy said:

100%.

Unfortunately our country glorifies not only drinking, but the stupid things done while drunk.

We can all share "cool" stories about the drunk things done in our youth, but then we hear a story about a group of cyclists being taken out by a drunk driver, then suddenly doing stupid things while drunk is no longer cool.

We do have an interesting relationship with alcohol. I think the WHO ranks us in the top 10 of per capita consumption. I read somewhere it's something like 27 liters per annum of ethanol per member of the drinking population. 

Edit. Here's the statement. According to the WHO's data, South Africa's drinking population consumers 28.9 litres of pure alcohol – per capita – a year, the fifth highest consumption rate in the world

Edited by Mamil

35 minutes ago, Mamil said:

We do have an interesting relationship with alcohol. I think the WHO ranks us in the top 10 of per capita consumption. I read somewhere it's something like 27 liters per annum of ethanol per member of the drinking population. 

Edit. Here's the statement. According to the WHO's data, South Africa's drinking population consumers 28.9 litres of pure alcohol – per capita – a year, the fifth highest consumption rate in the world

and that is just the official figure, pretty sure if they could track all the home made brews etc. that figure would be much higher.

Sad really.

We recently had one guy dismissed for drinking on the job. 

46 minutes ago, Mamil said:

so what would that relate to if one converted to beers (out of interest)

9 minutes ago, Hairy said:

so what would that relate to if one converted to beers (out of interest)

Assuming 4 percent alcohol content that's 14ml per 340ml beer. Which is about 207 beers per drinking member of the population per annum. 

Then somebody else must have taken up my slack. If I drink 5 beers in a year, it's a lot. I've got a gifted bottle of KWV that's been in my cupboard for three years now (does brannas go off once it's opened!?)

Wine, maybe two bottles total in a year. So yeah, I'm basically a teetotaler. (Never been drunk in my life, tipsy once or twice, and that's after two beers)

Gasp, shock, horror, and that includes the time I spent in SAPS in the 80's. 

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

Here's the statement. According to the WHO's data, South Africa's drinking population consumers 28.9 litres of pure alcohol – per capita – a year, the fifth highest consumption rate in the world

When is this data from? Cos I’m sure when I stopped drinking in 2019, we would’ve dropped down to 6-7th in the world at least. 

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

Then somebody else must have taken up my slack. If I drink 5 beers in a year, it's a lot. I've got a gifted bottle of KWV that's been in my cupboard for three years now (does brannas go off once it's opened!?)

Wine, maybe two bottles total in a year. So yeah, I'm basically a teetotaler. (Never been drunk in my life, tipsy once or twice, and that's after two beers)

You and me both.

I drank enough in my younger days to make up for the older years.

5 hours ago, Wannabe said:

I was gifted a bottle of Jameson extra reserve or something or other back in 2008. Larny whiskey according to my mates. I still have it. Bought a bottle of Tanqeray back in Feb or March, thinking the existing 3/4 bottle was not going to make it through the liquor ban. I still have both the 3/4 and the still unopened bottle. Back when the liquor ban was lifted I bought a case of Windhoek Lager. I still have 2 six packs in the pantry and around another half dozen in the bar fridge. I bought 5 boxes of wine at Nuy in 2017. I still have around 3 boxes left.

I think we all go through phases of heavy drinking in our formative years, and thankfully some of us get past that stage in life and grow up. Sadly, some get sucked in and never quite get out of the grip of alcohol.

49 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I was gifted a bottle of Jameson extra reserve or something or other back in 2008. Larny whiskey according to my mates. I still have it. Bought a bottle of Tanqeray back in Feb or March, thinking the existing 3/4 bottle was not going to make it through the liquor ban. I still have both the 3/4 and the still unopened bottle. Back when the liquor ban was lifted I bought a case of Windhoek Lager. I still have 2 six packs in the pantry and around another half dozen in the bar fridge. I bought 5 boxes of wine at Nuy in 2017. I still have around 3 boxes left.

I think we all go through phases of heavy drinking in our formative years, and thankfully some of us get past that stage in life and grow up. Sadly, some get sucked in and never quite get out of the grip of alcohol.

Definitely.

I think the important thing is how you view those days though. I don't look back on fines and rugby boet weekends and downing beer out of dirty boots till I threw up as being fun. 

I don't look back on bachelor parties where the point was to get the wastedestest as anything more than really toxic and abusive. 

I've been shot down a million times by asking why beer is always the 'cool' thing to drink after a ride/run even when you know you still have to drive home.

Our culture and what is viewed as 'cool' is broken. The young shouldn't have to learn from the same mistakes as their parents. The cycle should be broken by us realising our misguided adventures are not entirely healthy and teach our kids how to respect life, both theirs and others. 

Waffle waffle hippie ra ra but it's true. Excess booze while in your teens/early 20's often leads to pretty serious mental issues down the line. It's a culture we should be destroying.

It's been done with cigarettes, but people just refuse to let go of booze

8 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Our culture and what is viewed as 'cool' is broken. The young shouldn't have to learn from the same mistakes as their parents. The cycle should be broken by us realising our misguided adventures are not entirely healthy and teach our kids how to respect life, both theirs and others. 

I was at a work function recently where a good few of the attendees were absolutely not in a position to get behind the wheel of a car. I left early and a good couple of them were not only illegal to drive, they were verging on being drunk. All of them drove to the event.

What saddened me last year was the amount of people bragging over the thousands of rands of alcohol they bought after the ban was lifted. Almost as if that was some sort of achievement.

19 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Definitely.

I think the important thing is how you view those days though. I don't look back on fines and rugby boet weekends and downing beer out of dirty boots till I threw up as being fun. 

I don't look back on bachelor parties where the point was to get the wastedestest as anything more than really toxic and abusive. 

I've been shot down a million times by asking why beer is always the 'cool' thing to drink after a ride/run even when you know you still have to drive home.

Waffle waffle hippie ra ra but it's true. Excess booze while in your teens/early 20's often leads to pretty serious mental issues down the line. It's a culture we should be destroying.

Best freeking thing is a thick chocolate milkshake after a ride!

I have a limited view on alcohol and the abuse thereof, all seen on family and friends ... not my idea of fun. Limited and responsible use is where the fun it at, and for me personally it is the taste that matters. ... a really good beer with lots of flavour can last me two hours.

Now if only they could make non-alcoholic Leffe beers that taste like the real deal and I would be all down for that.

41 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Definitely.

It's a systemic issue. Could only raise an eyebrow when ackerman while reporting an 88 percent growth in profits told government further alcohol bans would be crippling. 

Imagine your product is an addictive psychoactive substance you're allowed to market and associate with status success sporting and sexual achievement. 

Yes but economy... Yes but jobs.... Something is deeply amiss if the economy is reliant on feeding the population 207 beers each every year. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/25/2021 at 12:09 PM, DJR said:

This made me wonder what happened to FRAIL.???

He used to ride to rides. No training ride nonsense, He rode to races, from Caper Town. No matter where the race was. Did a few 94.7s, an Amashova and a DC that way. Took him a week or so from CT to Joburg - arrive day before race - race day - return to CT the next morning - home a week later............they don't make 'em like that anymore....................

............oh, no, wait.............there is Copperhead!

THANKS DJR

I crawled under a Rock in the KAROO