[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

12 minutes ago, Jacques Joubert WC said:

I dont understand all the negativity. People do get that no one is forcing you to enter the short, right? 

You dont like the idea, you just dont enter

You know this is not how The Hub works .... right. :P

The few shall tell the rest how it MUST be done .... this is the Hub way .... 😏

In stark contrast, speaking to a lady that HAVE podiumed on the CTCT a couple of times, she is all for this.  In fact she is part of a foundation to get more people to cycle.  :clap:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/5/2022 at 1:10 PM, FootballingCyclist said:

Not much scenery going to the end of the M3 and back to be honest.

23 minutes ago, Jase619 said:

Still better scenery than the whole of Ride Joburg.

I have no qualms with the shorter distance, i think they could perhaps have been more creative with the route. This is what I meant with waste. The m3 stretch is literally the most boring part of the event in my eyes, nobody even stops at the waterpoints there😅 do they?

And scenery? What? Pollsmoor prison? Highway barriers and gutters? Bridge graffiti? The allure of the scenery and vibe behind the mountain you’ll never traverse? Sure its a “prettier” highway than the ‘krugersdorp highway’ but its still just a hiway.

Edit: at least the vibe up to the m3 is lekker. The peeps who live along Edinburgh are always fun.

Edited by MORNE

15 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

So when are we going to get the extended long route?

Theyve gone down the short route rabbit hole. Might as well give the rest of us what we want. A 150km option would be fantastic. 

109+42=151

Think you will be able to handle that extra 1km?

Maybe take Ouzo and his dad with...

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

I have no qualms with the shorter distance, i think they could perhaps have been more creative with the route. This is what I meant with waste. The m3 stretch is literally the most boring part of the event in my eyes, nobody even stops at the waterpoints there😅 do they?

And scenery? What? Pollsmoor prison? Highway barriers and gutters? Bridge graffiti? The allure of the scenery and vibe behind the mountain you’ll never traverse? Sure its a “prettier” highway than the ‘krugersdorp highway’ but its still just a hiway.

Edit: at least the vibe up to the m3 is lekker. The peeps who live along Edinburgh are always fun.

Think the major issue is that the 109km as it is stretches the support (traffic,medics etc) and logistics to the limit, this is probably the only practical option as it uses the existing route?

45 minutes ago, edgarblount said:

109+42=151

Think you will be able to handle that extra 1km?

Maybe take Ouzo and his dad with...

This would actually work out quite nicely if they found a way to divert the finish if you wanna do extra 42km. In other words you don’t have to go through the whole start chute procedure again and just join up on hospital bend perhaps.

I think the M3 is a good one to try if they want to add a shorter route. It is vastly simpler to arrange logistically, from a traffic disruption as well as smart use of resourses point of view. If it gets a few hundred or perhaps a few thousand people out on their bikes and riding, then I'm all for it. It will not detract from the normal distance ride.

The M3 is also a lot more scenic than some people give it credit for.  (Yes, it is my Hood) I recall how much I enjoyed cresting Hospital Bend going back on the shortened Fire Tour and seeing the whole of the bay vista open up when going under the bridge framing it like a painting. And then the Mountain View. And the crazy crowds on Edinburgh Drive. And our own Ivy League, UCT. and Newlands Forest. Pink March Lilies on the verges. Yes, it was the year I took it easy and smelled the roses ....... which is exactly what I think more people should do.

I asked on instagram if the short route counts towards one’s total tally of completed tours, it doesn’t. Also the minimum age is still the same as the normal route. So when my boys are old enough they doing the full route with me as I’m not breaking my tally to ride the short with them. I did my first Argus at 6, so they can do the full at 11 anyway. 

I guess the main take away from this thread is that the short route isn't aimed at seasoned cyclists or those with multiple CTCT's under their belt.

It's aimed at an entirely different demographic who likely don't even know bikehub exists, still have tubes in their MTB, flat plastic pedals and top sport helmets.

On 12/7/2022 at 9:13 AM, Jase619 said:

Still better scenery than the whole of Ride Joburg.

Dunno hey. Riding through the largest urban forest in the world has a certain appeal methinks. 

21 minutes ago, Karooryder said:

Dunno hey. Riding through the largest urban forest in the world has a certain appeal methinks. 

Agree - it does have its own charm and for the most part was pretty well organised this year. Wouldn't mind flying up for it again.

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

@hagar

R325 vs R750+....thanks could be the lack of entries in the long route they are trying to make it more affordable to the cyclists 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I guess the main take away from this thread is that the short route isn't aimed at seasoned cyclists or those with multiple CTCT's under their belt.

It's aimed at an entirely different demographic who likely don't even know bikehub exists, still have tubes in their MTB, flat plastic pedals and top sport helmets.

And only ride their bikes once a year after leaving it in the backyard all winter