Beware Bikemarket.co.za: Selling Bikes with Plugs as Permanent

me100

1 minute ago, sirmoun10goat said:

I think we need a new field for the classifieds: ‘tyre condition: plugged or unplugged’

Jokes aside ... could be tricky with Bike Hub Pay ...

Both parties insisting they are correct ....

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Just putting this out there ne 

Of anyone on here just plugs their tyre to replace at home 

then can I please have all the 29er 2.4> tyres in your garage ?

Can I be second in line please? I cannot afford to buy a new tyre everytime I plug it. Hell sometimes I battle to afford a new tyre because the old one is finished.

53 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Jokes aside ... could be tricky with Bike Hub Pay ...

Both parties insisting they are correct ....

We may need a BikeHubCourt to resolve these issues 

I’d  like to know what calendar the OP uses, as he has given BM till the end of the month. The last I checked my calendar, the end of the month is Friday. So the jury should rule in favour of BM as the OP is in breach of his commitment 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I'd ride certain brands of tyres with plugs anyday, then there are brands I will not touch even when brand new.

Generally, if a plug was inserted properly and as mentioned, tyre sealant used, the plug should outlast the tread.

My 2 cents' worth

Not mentioning brands but 

pinchazo-2-pinchazo-2-1600.jpg

I am in the industry and I have yet to meet anyone who replaces a tire after plugging it. Hell, I sometimes take home tires that people have replaced, plug them and get a helluva lot of life from them, for the grand total of a few rand for the plug.

It is nothing to worry about and if sealant doesn't fix it, a mushroom plug will. 

On 9/25/2022 at 2:50 PM, steve-h said:

A

It is well known in the community that MTB tubeless plugs are a temporary, get you home fix and this kind of repair shouldn’t be seen as a permanent fix.

I .

merida-bikemarket-plug.JPG

No it isn't a well known fact. Because you are wrong. 

I'd be more miffed about the tyre not having fresh sealant in it. But I probably would have stripped the bike and serviced it myself after receiving it to pick up things like this before riding. 

Just put new sealant in and spin the wheel. Replace the plug if necessary. That tyre still has a lot of life in it. 

Edited by PhilipV
Grammar bot says NO!

16 hours ago, steve-h said:

A word of warning to all bikehubbers thinking of buying a bike from bikemarket.co.za - especially if you are buying online.

I bought a Merida Ninety-six 800 bike from them late July 2022 online. Everything looked good from the pics and description. The salesperson Gavin mentioned that he had checked it and the bike was all good.

They delivered the bike to me and I took it for a ride and was satisfied.

After my 3rd ride I noticed the front tyre not holding air. I inspected it and noticed there was a plug in the tread (attached).

It is well known in the community that MTB tubeless plugs are a temporary, get you home fix and this kind of repair shouldn’t be seen as a permanent fix.

I emailed bikemarket:

The response from Gavin of bikemarket:

I gave them until the end of this month to take corrective action - which they have failed to do thus far. That is why I am letting everyone know of this poor business practice of bikemarket.co.za.

A new Maxxis Ardent tyre costs just R800 from Cyclelab and they could have fixed the issue but they have shown their stubbornness.

To lose a customer for life and potentially many from bikehub over R800 when they are clearly in the wrong is just disappointing.

Shows that companies that look good from the shop can treat online buyers very badly and take advantage of them.

I would say avoid bikemarket especially if buying online. Rather buy from a reptutable seller here on bikehub or buy new.

merida-bikemarket-plug.JPG

I have plugged many a tyre, in many a suspect location and then had the tyre serve me well till the "death of the tread".

I do not believe it is "It is well known in the community that MTB tubeless plugs are a temporary, get you home fix and this kind of repair shouldn’t be seen as a permanent fix." ... that tyre does look old though (Not worn), and could do with a replacement anyway.

I have never heard of this "well known law that a plugged tire cannot be a permanent fix" business.

So I must have missed the memo and have clearly been doing it wrong all these years. 

I do not see fault in the sellers behalf, but I see plenty fault in the buyers behalf.

12 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

We may need a BikeHubCourt to resolve these issues 

I’d  like to know what calendar the OP uses, as he has given BM till the end of the month. The last I checked my calendar, the end of the month is Friday. So the jury should rule in favour of BM as the OP is in breach of his commitment 

Looking at all the comments, I think the bikehub court of public opinion has spoken, and OP is out of line.  The whole tone of OP's whinge is not lekker and unnecessarily tries to paint Bikemarket as having committed an unforgivable and fraudulent sale.  There are many real instances of dodgy dealing by skelms and this thread tries to unfairly paint Bikemarket with the same brush, IMHO.  Its not right.  What's next?  Seller didn't tell me the paint is scratched on a 10 yr old enduro bike?  Customer is NOT king when they act like this.

5 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

The whole tone of OP's whinge is not lekker and unnecessarily tries to paint Bikemarket as having committed an unforgivable and fraudulent sale. 

Especially with a line like this: 

"To lose a customer for life and potentially many from bikehub over R800 when they are clearly in the wrong is just disappointing." 

No one at BM is losing sleep over this incident.

Perhaps OP doesn't know the value of a plug and thinks that a plug is just a quick fix or a way of cutting corners...

Wouldn't worry about it, get some sealant in there and I'm sure it'll hold. 

Obviously I do agree somewhat that if you bought a bike, the tyre should hold air, I can see how that would be a bit disheartening.

Good luck.