The deteriorating classifieds culture

A bit of a rant about the behavior of some so called hubbers. 
Happens far too often that people cannot be bothered to respond to messages despite being online. 
Selling and buying on the platform is becoming an all  the more tedious affair.

People ask questions or for more pics only to basically ignore your replies? 
Or the classic, advertise something but don’t respond to valid queries. 
How do we address this? I’ve actually rated them accordingly in the past only to receive a snotty response thereafter. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

A bit of a rant about the behavior of some so called hubbers. 
Happens far too often that people cannot be bothered to respond to messages despite being online. 
Selling and buying on the platform is becoming an all  the more tedious affair.

People ask questions or for more pics only to basically ignore your replies? 
Or the classic, advertise something but don’t respond to valid queries. 
How do we address this? I’ve actually rated them accordingly in the past only to receive a snotty response thereafter. 

Deal with only highly rated members then.

No solution to your problem honestly.

The ads here are created by people go have a look at every problem in the world and i bet you find a person at the cause 

Just now, BaGearA said:

Deal with only highly rated members then.

No solution to your problem honestly.

The ads here are created by people go have a look at every problem in the world and i bet you find a person at the cause 

Indeed but common decency appears to be lacking , I guess not only here. Used to be different I guess.

Haha, funny I'm advertising my emduro bike despite my ad saying i will not entertain your offer bikemarket

Bikemarket messages me. Idiots!!!

But yes, had a few send me pictures plan meet ups accept offers... then ghost! I'm not losing sleep over it

Ugh, im planning a big purge again too and won’t lie, not looking forward to dealing with these types. But it is what it is.

3 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Ugh, im planning a big purge again too and won’t lie, not looking forward to dealing with these types. But it is what it is.

Pm me first 😂😂😂

I guess horses for for courses , but it just grates me sometimes - BikeHub becoming like FB marketplace and Gumtree and as a community we need to try and preserve the ethics. 

I’ve mostly had good experiences selling and buying.if anything the rating system need work, most people don’t rate. It’s probably the best indication of a good trader.

It's the culture these day. It doesn't matter where you do things. 

Here, FB, newspaper classifieds, trying to book stuff. No one cares anymore. 

There is no way to 'address this' as you can't regulate who uses a website based on manners or decorum. 

While it is annoying, it is part and parcel of being a part of society these days and deciding to open yourself up to dealing with non vetted people outside of your select circle of friends.

I just sold some stuff on Marketplace and had one guy message me on Thursday night saying 'I want to buy your golf clubs but I'm going away early on Saturday morning so you need to bring them to me in Town tomorrow because I'm not getting stuck in the traffic to Muizenberg' without even telling me his name

I sold them to someone else

It's a case of not caring. Just expect it. If you think posting an advert anywhere these days will go any differently these days, you're delusional. 

So either donate all your old stuff to Kim or BEN bikes or throw it away or accept you will deal with the free market and stop expecting everyone to operate how you think they should operate.

1 hour ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

True . But what about an honest newbie ? How does he get somewhere if no one deals with him ?

And many sellers have zero interest in the forum side

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

It's the culture these day. It doesn't matter where you do things. 

Here, FB, newspaper classifieds, trying to book stuff. No one cares anymore. 

There is no way to 'address this' as you can't regulate who uses a website based on manners or decorum. 

While it is annoying, it is part and parcel of being a part of society these days and deciding to open yourself up to dealing with non vetted people outside of your select circle of friends.

I just sold some stuff on Marketplace and had one guy message me on Thursday night saying 'I want to buy your golf clubs but I'm going away early on Saturday morning so you need to bring them to me in Town tomorrow because I'm not getting stuck in the traffic to Muizenberg' without even telling me his name

I sold them to someone else

It's a case of not caring. Just expect it. If you think posting an advert anywhere these days will go any differently these days, you're delusional. 

So either donate all your old stuff to Kim or BEN bikes or throw it away or accept you will deal with the free market and stop expecting everyone to operate how you think they should operate.

Sad, but true

5 hours ago, MORNE said:

I'll save you all the effort and even come and collect everything at no cost to you. I know I'm just such a good person 😂