The deteriorating classifieds culture

IMHO you never know someones financial position or whether the garment is the correct size or not (for them). If it's theirs, they're fully entitled to sell it, whether they got it for free or not. Maybe they're just trying to cover the cost of buying something else in the correct size?
You're not obliged to buy it, just step away.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

IMHO you never know someones financial position or whether the garment is the correct size or not (for them). If it's theirs, they're fully entitled to sell it, whether they got it for free or not. Maybe they're just trying to cover the cost of buying something else in the correct size?
You're not obliged to buy it, just step away.

This

The world is a much better, easier place if you can convince yourself to be less judgy and mind your own business.

People buy and sell used bibs, shoes, freebies etc and they probably buy and sell it without introducing themselves and use half messages!

Not caring about it is empowering

Regarding any transactions it’s willing seller, willing buyer for me. 

I won’t chase people who are selling things and don’t reply. 

If I want something and someone is selling it and we can easily conclude a transaction, all good. 

I do think that if you advertise on the Hub you should be willing to talk via DM, or if the buyer sends you their number to open up a WA conversation using your own initiative. Advertising on the Hub and then saying “WhatsApp only” is a little annoying, because it means that to initiate a conversation I have to save your number first. Probably works for loads of people but I tend to steer away from these types of ads due to the extra PT. 

1 minute ago, RobynE said:

Regarding any transactions it’s willing seller, willing buyer for me. 

I won’t chase people who are selling things and don’t reply. 

If I want something and someone is selling it and we can easily conclude a transaction, all good. 

I do think that if you advertise on the Hub you should be willing to talk via DM, or if the buyer sends you their number to open up a WA conversation using your own initiative. Advertising on the Hub and then saying “WhatsApp only” is a little annoying, because it means that to initiate a conversation I have to save your number first. Probably works for loads of people but I tend to steer away from these types of ads due to the extra PT. 

Download the 'tap to chat' app?

You then type in the number and country prefix and it opens a chat in whattsapp without saving the number?

2 minutes ago, RobynE said:

I have to save your number first. Probably works for loads of people but I tend to steer away from these types of ads due to the extra PT. 

So since I work in an environment where alot of people prefer to chat of WA but, like you, I dont want to save numbers to my phone for no reason, I discovered an app called ClicktoChat. Apparently made by whatsapp. Annoyingly the free version has a brazillion ads, but it allows you to type in a number and initiate a WA conversation without having to save the number in your phone.

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

You then type in the number and country prefix and it opens a chat in whattsapp without saving the number?

Thanks Jewbacca, that’s cool for more reasons than buying things on the Hub 😁 Tech-challenged here. 

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm busy installing this one and will compare with ClicktoChat

edit.

First and foremost, I tried one chat and NO ADVERTS. hallelujah !!!!!

Edited by The Ouzo

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

While we’re on this topic, what’s the consensus on selling free kit?

For example, I’ve seen loads of people advertising their Vitality kit, event kit or accessories that you receive in a race pack as an example. 

These things were not "free". Despite not having a direct transaction, you paid money in order to get them. The free market will decide if they have value. 

24 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

So since I work in an environment where alot of people prefer to chat of WA but, like you, I dont want to save numbers to my phone for no reason, I discovered an app called ClicktoChat. Apparently made by whatsapp. Annoyingly the free version has a brazillion ads, but it allows you to type in a number and initiate a WA conversation without having to save the number in your phone.

I have been on clicktochat for a few years now, if they have adverts I haven't noticed them. I think it's a WA thing but you can't add random people to groups, if the other one enables this then i'll switch.

You can create a chat with a number on WhatsApp without having to save the number on both iOS and Windows versions of WhatsApp. Simply tap the plus button in the top right corner of your screen (iOS) or the pencil in block icon above the search bar (Windows app). No need for ad-filled apps or drama.

Edited by JayLow
windows instruction

54 minutes ago, JayLow said:

Simply tap the plus button in the top right corner of your screen (iOS) or the pencil in block icon above the search bar (Windows app). No need for ad-filled apps or drama.

I don’t have that option when I touch the +. I only get the option to select contacts or to add new contacts, groups, communities or broadcast. iPhone 14 Pro. 

1 hour ago, RobynE said:

I don’t have that option when I touch the +. I only get the option to select contacts or to add new contacts, groups, communities or broadcast. iPhone 14 Pro. 

You just type/paste the number in where it says “search name or number“ and if the person has WhatsApp it will pop up and allow you to chat 👌 I use it often on iPhone 

(that being said, I personally do prefer to use bikehub/marketplace message rather than give out my phone number all over the place)

Edited by Spookie
Addition

35 minutes ago, Spookie said:

You just type/paste the number in where it says “search name or number“ and if the person has WhatsApp it will pop up and allow you to chat 👌 I use it often on iPhone 

Oh that’s cooooool - thank you! 

From my view point, if someone does advertise their cell number on an Advert it should be accepted that they respond within a "reasonable time". A "reasonable time"  is different for most people, some think a few hours others a few days.  This also means that buyers should not be spamming a seller and vice versa. It all comes down to everyone has a life and has things to do.

While "lowballers" are irritating, it is something all sellers will encounter at some point (generalising of course). While we all have a different manner that is deemed as correct. Most times a simple "No thank you" or "This item is not negotiable" or even a simple "The lowest I will do is "RXXXX,XX".  Also one thing to bear in mind for lowballing, What you deem an item worth others might not deem it to be worth the same and this works for most things.

As per mentioned earlier with telemarketers etc. Bring the car dealer story up. If someone does request a call back or an e-mail back, it should be common courtesy to simply respond back to an e-mail or to simply cancel the callback (If possible of course). Unfortunately many people simply don't work this way and believe the world revolves around them.

As Matt mentioned before a "Speedy responder" badge could work, however how would this be moderated, would a prompt come up after a transaction asking to rate various categories deemed as important? Respectfulness, honesty etc or whatever else is decided upon? How admin heavy would something like this be? What happens when people start faking stats and reviews like many popular online marketplaces?

And yes lowballers and disrespectful buyers are really annoying but "Cost of business" I suppose. It is a free market after all.