Garden Route Giro Announced: A Six-day Gravel Stage Race

News bot

I'm also wondering if the majority of the route is going to follow the Cape Cross tour route from Plett 2 CT, which uses a lot of the original 2004 Cape Epic route (excluding the small bits of single track).

I bikepacked that route last year on my gravel bike and it's the perfect blend of gravel & tar 🤙

I see Ashleigh MP and her husband are coming over here in Jan to lead a tour group over that route as well.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, gravel is the new Mtb, so a stage race had to follow. I wish Dryland well with the venture which is a logical progression in their portfolio of events. They already had Karoo burn, and 360one so breaking up the 360one route and adding in extra stages from their pioneer trek makes a lovely gravel stage race. I have no doubt Mr Epics event will be super premium and only the rapha/maap/ PNS crowd need apply

1 hour ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I wondered when this would finally happen. I heard a little rumour that Kevin Vermaak was planning on launching one soon as well. Now I'm wondering if Dryland heard the same rumour and tried to get theirs out the door first before all the details were ironed out, just to have the status of "First ever gravel stage race in SA"?

Just thinking out loud.

This one … https://www.instagram.com/gravel_burn?igsh=eDd0dmlldWFsdWll 

The whole first thing is marketing bumpf though, can recall there were already one or two events previously that were multi day (3) gravel rides. 

Also waiting with bated breath to see what the cost would be. My guess is definitely north of 30-40K?

28 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Gravel Burn? Wonder if the winner gets a free entry to African Burn...

We have Tanqua Burn, Karoo Burn, Gravel Burn .... You get a burn, and you and you, everyone gets a burn! 

Or if we all keep on mocking, moaning and whining on press release announcements, burn bikehub's revenue stream.... 

I'd definitely be too scared to pay to announce anything if the reception is always a bunch of nerfy negative whataboutism.

10 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Or if we all keep on mocking, moaning and whining on press release announcements, burn bikehub's revenue stream.... 

I'd definitely be too scared to pay to announce anything if the reception is always a bunch of nerfy negative whataboutism.

If an organiser is scared of criticism, surely then they should DEFINATELY avoid open forums that anyone can voice their opinion on.

I had a think about pricing while pedaling home yesterday.
Tour de Cap can present a road event for 5 days for R3200.  No food, No accommodation.
If THIS organiser can get close to that with his entries, then this will fill up quickly due to the gravel craze.  We don't need tierlantyntjies.  Draw a line in the sand so that we know it is the finish.  Have a hosepipe nearby if I am dying of thirst and cant make the vendor stall.

That said, a ONE day gravel event these days touches R2k.  For one day.  On unmanned dirt roads.  
In my life that is a shitload of money and a hard pass unless it is something amazing to do and I don't have access to the roads on a normal day.
That gives him the chance to charge you R12k for the 6 days.
This will NOT fill up quickly and only be afforded by the wealthy and will draw critisism.

Brainless wonderings while pedaling.  

11 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

On the flipside they get honest feedback on the idea they are pitching? We are not paid influencers who are remunerated to promote bikehub's advertisers..

fwiw I really like the idea - but I also suspect that it will possibly be stupid expensive and out of my budget.

Think the success of this will very much hinge on being able to attract a big headline sponsors & being able to successfully market it as a great cycling adventure for the average weekend warrior despite the price tag. Neither of the 2 a given in the current economic environment but I genuinely hope they can pull it off.

18 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

On the flipside they get honest feedback on the idea they are pitching? We are not paid influencers who are remunerated to promote bikehub's advertisers..

fwiw I really like the idea - but I also suspect that it will possibly be stupid expensive and out of my budget.

Think the success of this will very much hinge on being able to attract a big headline sponsors & being able to successfully market it as a great cycling adventure for the average weekend warrior despite the price tag. Neither of the 2 a given in the current economic environment but I genuinely hope they can pull it off.

But it's criticism based on whataboutism, not fact. 

We don't KNOW the price, we don't KNOW the setup. The scepticism is based on made up stuff.

It's like your wife being angry with you because you cheated on her in her dreams

It's not constructive feedback, well it hasn't been until you and Spinnekop replied to me. 

Edited by Jewbacca

Three of us did a bike packing trip in the same area in 2022. Used very similar routes and stayed in the same towns. Stayed in hotels and guest houses Dinner bed and breakfast included. 6 days. Accommodation was just north of R13 000-00 for the three of us. Not roughing it but staying in good solid places. But once again I think the entry fee for this event will probably not be close to this! 

Dryland are doing the Cape Pioneer starting at R22500 for a solo, no frills. I reckon this'll go at about R4k per stage just to ride, and maybe eat.R12k would provide good value I reckon, including tents. Hope I don't hurt any feelings.

Whataboutish perhaps, just my thumbsuck. Unless of course the masses have to subsidise the rich and famous in which case it'll be more. 

Anyway, watching with a finger on the enter button...

Edited by buckstopper

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

If an organiser is scared of criticism, surely then they should DEFINATELY avoid open forums that anyone can voice their opinion on.

I had a think about pricing while pedaling home yesterday.
Tour de Cap can present a road event for 5 days for R3200.  No food, No accommodation.
If THIS organiser can get close to that with his entries, then this will fill up quickly due to the gravel craze.  We don't need tierlantyntjies.  Draw a line in the sand so that we know it is the finish.  Have a hosepipe nearby if I am dying of thirst and cant make the vendor stall.

That said, a ONE day gravel event these days touches R2k.  For one day.  On unmanned dirt roads.  

maybe they are keeping cards close to chest on this one in terms or route and pricing

ACE = R113k for 2025

Dryland's Cape pioneer trek for 2024, is R42k. this is now quite pared down compared to when it was a real alternative to ACE, and just 5 stages with a lot less travel too.

They have the capability of really pulling a big one off here, and will want to fill it. they might even be happy to run at a loss to get it established.

to reply to the bold

vote with your wallet, this is what a certain WC race has on its byline:

Why does a 100 miler have to cost R1000? It doesn't!!! That's why we are charging R590! Don't worry though, XXXXXXXXXX will have all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a race of this caliber.

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

to reply to the bold

vote with your wallet

I am.
That is why I am doing a THIRD of the racing I normally did in the part per year.