Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Nick said:

That's the Classifieds profile.

Check your forum profile: https://forum.bikehub.co.za/profile/1372-frosty/

Thanks Nick; still a lot of accounts before me 😁

1 minute ago, SwissVan said:

Ja nee…. It’s been fun

Question to Nick and Matt, who is the longest serving member that is still active on the hub today?

Matt 😆

#7 was doing things in July, if that counts as active?

For me, the highlight would be the annual Fantasy TdF competition.
I took it over from Hannes (and a mate of his), in 2009 or 2010.
Like bikehub, it grew better each year until it reaches a peak in 2019.

What was initially just a fun way to enjoy the Tour, turned into a serious competition with prizes up to R70k. @ScottCM was the winner of the Cannondale in one year, which I think was the biggest prize in the competition's history. 

It was either 2015 or 2016 where I asked Matt and Nick to assist with the capturing of the names and team lists, as it became an admin nightmare to capture 100 entries, let alone the 658 in 2016. From there, the scoring was handed over to Nick to control/update and eventually I was a participant and no longer an organiser. 

My GoogleDrive still has most of the data, but not all. I remember deleting everything from my NAS drive, to free up space for other relevant information from 2024.

image.png.9d9418f76157db4adefff907f2e98e70.png

image.png.306abd87a2d790be797939af737769e9.png

2019 was a good year for me, when I finished 2nd, and won a Lazer helmet for my efforts (often spelt helmut in many threads).

What I could find:

Edited by Frosty

Congratulations bikehub and @Nick. Thanks for providing an online home for SA cyclists to learn and rant for many years now

Only a member since 2011 so I guess I am still a newbie relative to the others on here. So many good memories from this site. Got into my first hubfight a few weeks after joining when I made a snarky comment about people with expensive bikes complaining about expensive funride entry fees. Legends like Tumbleweed that are no longer with us (played both moderator and instigator..).Still annoyed with hub experts that convinced me to go for a better specced 26er over a modestly specced 29er in 2012. Dodgy joke threads and pictures of girls that got the hub in trouble...Handbags over white privilege, evolution, abortion, vaccines and other fun non-cycling topics - miss those days but I guess we all had to grow up with the site & times.

Looking forward to spend more time on here over the next 20 years.

Edited by Skubarra

10 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

What a ride... Still have a HubSA jersey somewhere and one of the rubber wrist bands. 

Amateur mate .... I have rubber wrist bands, socks AND temporary tattoos bru!

Well done Matt and the Team!!

I lost my first registered username from 2005... makes me feel pretty old and takes me back to the UCT Cycling Club days with Matt, Jaco, Neil, Will, Clyde... I was the newbie back then (not much has changed ;))!

This has been an entertaining & insightful place with some sad occasions too!!

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

What was initially just a fun way to enjoy the Tour, turned into a serious competition with prizes up to R70k. @ScottCM was the winner of the Cannondale in one year, which I think was the biggest prize in the competition's history. 

The bikehub fantasy league is still the best one ever in terms of effort versus impact - so thanks. One year there were specific challenges for each stage with a prize attached and I figured out that the one was to get the most total team points on a sprint stage, so I stacked my entire team for the whole comp with sprinters and won a fancy Giro helmet. Still a bit salty on the Cannondale year where I lead for the last 2 weeks and lost because Demare decided he was feeling a bit sick.

Bikehub is awesome, congrats on the 20 years!

I think that my registration number is 43 so dating back to 2004

I am more of a JRA type of rider so like to read the expert posts from other riders . 
I don’t get involved in battles with keyboard warriors but do like to contribute to the many worthy causes posted here

Congrats - been here for 19 of those years. Time flies!

Edited by Sandro

17 happy years, mostly reading, but a few replies, too; WELL DONE, BIKE HUB!

Chris