loud hubs:noise or music to your ears?

zonker

I live near a very popular road for both MTB and road cycling, and have been woken up early in the mornings by swarms of riders with obnoxiously loud hubs. To get over the noise of the hubs, they need to shout at the top of their lungs at each other, and you end up with something around the decibel level of a malfunctioning diesel truck.

It reminds me of car guys who modify their exhausts for maximum noise, because what you personally like hearing is more important than anybody else's peace of mind. I'll never understand those people. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When people do that to their cars they're commonly referred to as 'tappets', but then if they do that to their bikes it's cool? The mind is befuddled.

I don't mind the normal whir of my hub, but these very loud one's are somewhat obnoxious to me.

Zef is the new cool.

Crazy loud isn't nice for anyone

But I want my hubs loud, loud enough that someone will notice as soon as I start freewheeling no more.

On the other end I'd also like dead silent hubs but they have to be dead dead silent

This in between nonsense is just ridiculous

I'd like to have a silent hub, but then I'd probably start hearing all the other rattles on my bike.

Stop with all the freewheeling already - there is no noise if you're pedaling.

But I want my hubs loud, loud enough that someone will notice as soon as I start freewheeling no more.

On the other end I'd also like dead silent hubs but they have to be dead dead silent

This in between nonsense is just ridiculous

Same here, either Hope Pro 4 loud (loud but not ridiculous) or dead silent. I wouldn't mind some Onyx hubs, the price is just silly though.

Same here, either Hope Pro 4 loud (loud but not ridiculous) or dead silent. I wouldn't mind some Onyx hubs, the price is just silly though.

One day when my train comes I'll build up a set of onyx'

Alas for now good ol hope has been unbeatable

When people do that to their cars they're commonly referred to as 'tappets', but then if they do that to their bikes it's cool? The mind is befuddled.

I don't mind the normal whir of my hub, but these very loud one's are somewhat obnoxious to me.

Got Fulcrum (Campag) wheels when I bought the (used) bike, and I despise the noise. That's definitely the next upgrade.

It's like being a Harley owner, all noise and no go (or as they say in Texas, "all hat and no steers").

A quiet bike is a well set up bike.

(Also, I have tinnitus so I'm just grouchy about sound).

Box Components recently released some silent hubs and they're less expensive than Onyx. ($349 vs $445 from what pricing info I could find)

SILENT, INSTANT - New BOX Stealth Hubs - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB (vitalmtb.com)

Shimano was going to release silent hubs (called Scylence) with the 12 speed drivetrains, but I think there were issues and the release was cancelled. We may see them in the future.

Edited by MrJacques

Got Fulcrum (Campag) wheels when I bought the (used) bike, and I despise the noise. That's definitely the next upgrade.

It's like being a Harley owner, all noise and no go (or as they say in Texas, "all hat and no steers").

A quiet bike is a well set up bike.

(Also, I have tinnitus so I'm just grouchy about sound).

My very loud Harley still got to a 100 in under 4 seconds ;) life is too short to care what anyone thinks :D

When my mtb recently got jacked and i thought it was gone for good, i acquired an older road bike to stay fit. It has miche hubs on it and a 6 speed freewheel that is almost dead quiet. A strange sensation. When i re-appropriated my mtb almost a month after it got stolen, literally the first thing i noticed when i got on it after a complete rebuild was how much i missed that ZZZZZZZZ of the hope pro4 hubs.

Who needs bells

Edited by morneS555

It reminds me of car guys who modify their exhausts for maximum noise, because what you personally like hearing is more important than anybody else's peace of mind. I'll never understand those people. 

Much like the muppets who live in a complex and can't have a simple braai with friends without inflicting eardrum shattering doef-doef music on the entire complex?