Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am keen to get these too, do you think they will hold in a dry wall scenario?

You’ve been given a few options and you also get drywall plugs which you could use to anchor a nice piece of timber and then screw the bike mount to that - apart from a butterfly mechanism I wouldn’t mount the holder to a dry wall - you can only get away with your TV method so many times

I am keen to get these too, do you think they will hold in a dry wall scenario?

If you fasten to the studs you'll be fine. Typical drywall has studs running vertically on 450 - 600mm centres (depending on the building code used).

You could also fasten to the knogging (fire blocks) if your wall has them.

36cf2ae47461d58058c6e4a4858d07a2.jpg

However it may depend on what type of framing your wall has. If it's steel framed, I'm not too sure how the flanges of the channel will hold up under load, as they're usually pretty flimsy.

Best bet, borrow a stud finder (or even a strong magnet), find the framing. Poke a sole in to investigate.

If you fasten to the studs you'll be fine. Typical drywall has studs running vertically on 450 - 600mm centres (depending on the building code used).

However it may depend on what type of framing your wall has. If it's steel framed, I'm not too sure how the flanges of the channel will hold up under load, as they're usually pretty flimsy.

Best bet, borrow a stud finder (or even a strong magnet), find the framing. Poke a sole in to investigate.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post such a helpful reply. It’s appreciated.

Only problem is if you look at your diagram, the bike would be off centre - sometimes the studs are annoyingly in the wrong place - strong magnet top tip - what stud finder do you use? - my Bosch one is wildly inaccurate to the point where I’m now a dry wall repair expert and groan everytime I’m asked to hang something Edited by Waynemol

It will hold if the drywall is in good condition and you use the correct hollow wall anchors.

They mount tvs in hospitals on drywall amd ceilings with hollow wall anchors.

But a stud will be even better.8666a9bbaf314faa5cc090d82a3457a6.jpg

If your studs are not ideally located.......

1st prize is being able to cut open a section of drywall, fit a lekker section of timber or MDF between the studs and then replace the drywall, make good and paint.

IF the studs are galv. steel you can use the same method. We have fitted a couple of floating shelves, moerse TV's , etc using this system.

If you can, those butterfly type fixings are the best.

Also remember that once your TV is fitted you rarely move or touch it. With the bike you will constantly be removing and replacing the bike and this would put stress on whatever fixings you use.

Only problem is if you look at your diagram, the bike would be off centre - sometimes the studs are annoyingly in the wrong place - strong magnet top tip - what stud finder do you use? - my Bosch one is wildly inaccurate to the point where I’m now a dry wall repair expert and groan everytime I’m asked to hang something

I use a super cheap and simple one called a stud-buddy. It's basically just a strong magnet which I use to find the drywall screws beneath the tape and mud. And almost all the time, the screws are centre-ish on the stud. Almost.

• 2 weeks later...

post-99881-0-96249300-1602588621_thumb.jpg

Yesterday was new bike day for my girlfriend. Her first MTB. Put some proper tubeless tyres on and replaced the brakes with a set of XT M8000s that I had lying around. First ride tomorrow morning  :D

Thanks to the guys at Mellow Velo for the great service and prompt response to all my queries.

Edited by Jehosefat

Picked up a set of BR-MT501 brakes from LBS today, get home, start with front, fitted, blead, piele.

Remove internally routed rear brakes front to back, fit new caliper and hoses, take lever out the box, ... low and behold the rear box has a left hand mt401 3 finger lever and the front had a mt501 1 finger lever. 

:cursing:

Picked up a set of BR-MT501 brakes from LBS today, get home, start with front, fitted, blead, piele.

Remove internally routed rear brakes front to back, fit new caliper and hoses, take lever out the box, ... low and behold the rear box has a left hand mt401 3 finger lever and the front had a mt501 1 finger lever. 

:cursing:

maybe they recon you need three fingers to lock up the rear while skidding through a turn?