The Froome Dawg Thread

'Dale

arhh this again...

I wouldn't personnaly ride a bike with bigger discs than the ones I have at the moment, they already have a little too much bite for wet conditions.

Don't really understand why everyone wants to be right and prove others that they are wrong about this. You like disc brakes : good for you. You don't, good for you too, as long as nobody forces you to ride them. It does sucks that some pros aren't given a choice though.

I personnaly don't give a crap, I currently have discs, my next bike could very well have rim brakes, I don't care at all, both slow down. I'm more interested in things that make the bike fast than the ones that make it slow

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to happen under the current frame laws. There are strict laws that mean any airflow ducts to channel air to the brakes would be considered aerodynamic fairings and be illegal.

Parlee has a frame with a disk cover. Not UCI legal, though.

Disk frames have more drag than the equivalent rim brake frames. Same goes for a wheel with a rotor.

Imo a rim brake is a disk brake with a large 622mm disk. If you have a large disk, less force is needed and cabkes are ok. If you go for a system with a smaller disk, more braking force is needed, so needs to be hydraulic

https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/parlee-rz7-aero-road-bike-review-15.jpg

post-154-0-22678100-1612878318_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christie

Parlee has a frame with a disk cover.

The Rz7.

Google says:

While the thinking behind a fairing is sound, the application within the current racing environment is not. At any sanctioned UCI event, you’ll be required to remove them. If you’re not racing, and won’t be on or near the podium, the incremental gain is a puff of hot air. I don’t like how the UCI operates a lot of the time, but thems the rules.

Edited by TNT1

Parlee has a frame with a disk cover.

Disk frames have more drag than the equivalent rim brake frames. Same goes for a wheel with a rotor.

https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/parlee-rz7-aero-road-bike-review-15.jpg

Shimano: We make pads that use an aluminium fin to remove heat

Parlee: We make covers to keep your brakes nice and warm in winter :-)

arhh this again...

I wouldn't personnaly ride a bike with bigger discs than the ones I have at the moment, they already have a little too much bite for wet conditions.

Don't really understand why everyone wants to be right and prove others that they are wrong about this. You like disc brakes : good for you. You don't, good for you too, as long as nobody forces you to ride them. It does sucks that some pros aren't given a choice though.

I personnaly don't give a crap, I currently have discs, my next bike could very well have rim brakes, I don't care at all, both slow down. I'm more interested in things that make the bike fast than the ones that make it slow

Brakes were invented to go faster...it means speed can be managed

100%. Better brakes make a bike faster (or, alternatively, slower for less time).

100% for MTB and Motorcycles.

On the road bike disc brakes or rim brakes won't make a difference on how fast you'll be in a race.

And at our level (at least mine), the main limit isn't the brakes themselves but the traction of the tyres/the confidence you have in them.

I do most of my intervals at kloofnek on the MTB rather than the road bike because I feel much safer going down on it, not only because it's ******* bumpy but also because I can stop much quicker than on the road bike (thanks to bigger tyre and suspension), despite them having very similar brakes (both disc, same rotor size, 2 pistons front&rear)

Edited by Jbr

Perhaps rim brakes are the better system for road bikes, all things considered?

:ph34r:

The problem is the bike industry. They want the cheapest input cost to meet the requirement because there just isn't the right regulations and specs governing sports bicycles.

high temperature resins exist. They cost a bit more. Carbon ceramic and aramid blends of cloth exist that are strong enough to survive re entry into the earth's atmosphere. The technology for a really strong heat insensitive Carbon construction exists and will still result in a product that falls within the price point of current products.

But the decision is to standardise components across many cycling disciplines and make those parts as cheaply as possible (good for business).

So we could see better rim brake tracts and better rim brakes (hydraulic) or we could see better disc brakes.

The latter I'm not convinced will happen anytime soon with the packaging constraints of a brake lever hood as it is currently known

So we could see better rim brake tracts and better rim brakes (hydraulic) or we could see better disc brakes.

The latter I'm not convinced will happen anytime soon with the packaging constraints of a brake lever hood as it is currently known

What's the constraint? The size of the hydraulic fluid reservoir? Build it into the handlebar?

What's the constraint? The size of the hydraulic fluid reservoir? Build it into the handlebar?

Yes and how that impacts on the hydraulic mechanical advantage.

to get more pad clearance for the same power the lever has to travel further.