The Froome Dawg Thread

'Dale

Was great seing him race yesterday, Can see he still has a long way to go to get back to full fitness. He fell off the back on the last drag/climb but then made it back to the group after a good descent, Then with 3kms to go when things got heated, he fell off and jut rolled to the finish. Long way back still for Froome Dawg but good signs indeed.

I wish people would say drop off when referring to a rider being dropped by the bunch.

Fell off means something completely (and painfully) different.

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And he's right. Disc brakes are mtb technology. Road is a much harsher environment and the equipment design cannot cope

The technology is there. Pop on a larger disk (both front and back) and borrow some Saint calipers from Minaar.

this is what I wanted to type:

So refreshing hearing someone who speaks like us(Im not being whatever you call those people) on youtube...flip awesome hearing an accent known to us. 

But I dont know if this is allowed nowadays. 

ummmm just a question but wont the shimano DA disks perform better? especially with heat - I thought they would be superior. I know you got to run what your sponsors tell you but when you have DA groupset surely...

I think this guy missed the word "mountain" in MTB if he thinks mtbs only brake from 30 to 0.....

That a it knitpicky Eldron, the point being made is the kinetic energy being absorbed is in the order of 4x higher in a road bike system compared to a mtb.

I've never conducted full brake fluid flushes with mtbs as I have with road bikes. Discoloured rotors like I haven't seen since the 2000s

ummmm just a question but wont the shimano DA disks perform better? especially with heat - I thought they would be superior. I know you got to run what your sponsors tell you but when you have DA groupset surely...

Has anyone here ridden swisstop rotors and pads?

I haven't but on paper they look like they're nowhere near DA in terms of technology and weight.

That a it knitpicky Eldron, the point being made is the kinetic energy being absorbed is in the order of 4x higher in a road bike system compared to a mtb.

I've never conducted full brake fluid flushes with mtbs as I have with road bikes. Discoloured rotors like I haven't seen since the 2000s

Agreed but his initial premise is that because road bikes brake from 60 to 0 and mtbs only brake from 30 to 0 road bikes need more heat dissipation...

In general I agree with the guy (and Froomey) but some of his base information is questionable.

Just to help you guys make sense of the forces involved:

K.E. = 1/2 m v2

Kinetic energy is the square of the speed.

Braking from 60km/h to 0 is double the amount of energy that need to be dissipated as compared to braking from 42km/h to 0.

Moreover:

The pro's clock over 100km/h on switchback descents at the TDF, 50% of that energy dissipation would require a speed of 70km/h, which I am not too sure is even in the minds of folks on MTB's.

I can get behind the idea that road bike braking is a bit harder on the braking systems than compared to MTB use.

Agreed but his initial premise is that because road bikes brake from 60 to 0 and mtbs only brake from 30 to 0 road bikes need more heat dissipation...

In general I agree with the guy (and Froomey) but some of his base information is questionable.

It's not questionable it just by matter of example.

I rarely hit 60km/hr on the mtb. Trails are too twisty so there's constant scrubbing of speed.

Road bikes I'm descending at 89km/hr hitting the brakes hard and bringing a change in velocity around 10m/s. It's all about the kinetic energy being absorbed over time which is work done per second. There's more of it in a road bike by virtue of constant higher speeds

It's not questionable it just by matter of example.

I rarely hit 60km/hr on the mtb. Trails are too twisty so there's constant scrubbing of speed.

Road bikes I'm descending at 89km/hr hitting the brakes hard and bringing a change in velocity around 10m/s. It's all about the kinetic energy being absorbed over time which is work done per second. There's more of it in a road bike by virtue of constant higher speeds

I rarely hit 60km/hr on the road. Traffic light and stop streets means there's constant scrubbing of speed.

MTB I'm descending at 89km/hr hitting the brakes hard and bringing a change in velocity around 10m/s. It's all about the kinetic energy being absorbed over time which is work done per second. There's more of it in an mtb by virtue of constant higher speeds.

Anecdotal evidence is not science :-)

Edited by Eldron

Brakes constantly rubbing and warping?? His mech needs a slap...

isn't he the excellent Gary Blem - did he move to ISN with the 'dawg?

Factor Froomey

refreshing to see a pro rider giving his honest opinion..

more importantly, the african in him is alive and well