The Froome Dawg Thread

'Dale

Factor Froomey

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the chain rings. He said they have a sneaky suspicion the squashed rings he likes were hiding a weakness. Will be interesting to see if he does indeed go back to a deformed ring or if he keeps the proper ones on. :ph34r:

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to see Froomey being allowed to mildly criticize his equipment. Didn't a well known Italian rider (name escapes me) heavily criticize Colnago, and then issued a public apology? 

His reviewing skills do need some work though, but still cool to watch. Need some GCN style reviews, they know how it's done. 

My take on disc brakes - each to his own. I can assure you if Froomey doesn't want disc brakes they'll take it off. Not so sure if warping is a realistic fear, because I think you need to really thrash them before they cause such permanent deformation. 

Happy to see Froomey being allowed to mildly criticize his equipment. Didn't a well known Italian rider (name escapes me) heavily criticize Colnago, and then issued a public apology? 

His reviewing skills do need some work though, but still cool to watch. Need some GCN style reviews, they know how it's done. 

My take on disc brakes - each to his own. I can assure you if Froomey doesn't want disc brakes they'll take it off. Not so sure if warping is a realistic fear, because I think you need to really thrash them before they cause such permanent deformation. 

I'm fairly sure the Ostro is disc brake only....

I regularly true my rotors. They don't heat up or cool symmetrically. The centeelocka have the added pain of the pins coming loose. The spiders warp and the rotor does plus the pins... So I stick to the cheaper all steel rotor because its more maintenance friendly. Ice tech.. .. NoNo Thanks

Just to help you guys make sense of the forces involved:

K.E. = 1/2 m v2

Kinetic energy is the square of the speed.

Braking from 60km/h to 0 is double the amount of energy that need to be dissipated as compared to braking from 42km/h to 0.

Moreover:

The pro's clock over 100km/h on switchback descents at the TDF, 50% of that energy dissipation would require a speed of 70km/h, which I am not too sure is even in the minds of folks on MTB's.

I can get behind the idea that road bike braking is a bit harder on the braking systems than compared to MTB use.

https://www.bikeperfect.com/features/why-are-brakes-still-steel-and-not-carbon-fibre

So then - going on what this article lists as the reasons carbon disks wont work on a MTB, could the deduction then be made that given the heat issues regarding the higher speeds on Road bikes, carbon would be a better alternative on a road bike?

The sceptic in me says that when somebody does add some criticism to a review, it just makes you believe the complements more. It's a well documented idea. Some people are paid to write reviews of things on amazon, so they'll say "OH this toaster is great. I was a little disappointed that they (insert trivial complaint) but other than that it is fantastic". This is more believable than "Oh this toaster is perfect".

That said, I'm not saying that is the case here. I'm of the same opinion as everyone else, it was refreshing to hear him say what a lot of people are thinking about disc brakes. ie: The dudes that came first and second last year in the TdF were not using disc... are we really ready for this? And as you say, I'm glad that he hasn't been slapped on the wrist for saying something vaguely negative about his sponsored bike.

On a separate note, I've just finished reading his autobiography and he comes across as a decent guy. A bit late to the party but I put off reading it for so long because (i'm not joking) the title was the same as a Miley Cyrus song.   

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana/fabio-aru-apologises-ernesto-colnago-reaction-vuelta-crash-394228#:~:text=Italian%20Fabio%20Aru%20(UAE%20Team,after%20crashing%20in%20a%20curve.

https://www.bikeperfect.com/features/why-are-brakes-still-steel-and-not-carbon-fibre

So then - going on what this article lists as the reasons carbon disks wont work on a MTB, could the deduction then be made that given the heat issues regarding the higher speeds on Road bikes, carbon would be a better alternative on a road bike?

Good question, but I think the items under "Carbon compromises" are still a fair bit off from being resolved.

The biggest worry for me is the difference between the carbon braking surfaces being "warmed-up" vs cool. Think F1 on cold brakes.

They also mention reduced braking performance for carbon discs when wet. Sure, we already have that problem on rim brakes, but still something to be quantified. 

I think in the meantime the engineers at Shimano/SRAM need to stand back and look again at the heat dissipation challenges of road cycling instead of just copying what worked for MTB, it might need some significant design changes from the outset.

Alot of effort gets put into heat dissipation on car disc brakes. From air flow to bigger discs and ventilated discs etc.

Granted cars are heavier and go faster, but the faster the car the more work gets put into keep the brakes cool.

Perhaps we need to see larger discs on road bikes, maybe also in conjunction with frame manufacturers building in airflow around the discs.

So who here has ridden down a steep, long tar descent full of switchbacks, and then stopped and spun their disc brake wheels to listen to the rub?

Froomie rides more than most of us put together and talks to many others like himself.... he knows what he is talking about.

The question really should be, how much does the rub affect the performance.... mechanical and mental ????

ahhh, which is why i now know what Cazzo de bici means!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaqs6_RslM8&t=0m37s

Bauke was very explicit in his opinion of his groupset, not sure if there was any blowback 

Perhaps we need to see larger discs on road bikes, maybe also in conjunction with frame manufacturers building in airflow around the discs.

Not going to happen under the current frame laws. There are strict laws that mean any airflow ducts to channel air to the brakes would be considered aerodynamic fairings and be illegal.

I can assure you if Froomey doesn't want disc brakes they'll take it off. 

Doubt it.

He doesn't have the tour winning cachet he once did. If he was the man here, he wouldn't have made the commotion, he would simply be on a rim brake bike now.

Pinarello still use rim brake bikes because they can't get close to the 6.8kg limit with discs

Based on what? The only weights I can find online are on complete bikes that do not include the Lightweight wheels the team use and some other light weight trickery as well.

Based on what? The only weights I can find online are on complete bikes that do not include the Lightweight wheels the team use and some other light weight trickery as well.

Based on what the team mechanics and the riders said last year. They even use the X-light version of the F12 frame on the rime brake bike.

I'm sure Froome has the option to use the O2 VAM rim bike on a mountain stage.

Edited by Andreas_187