Name and shame the litterbugs

Pall Catt

I'm not going to bother with bananas at all anymore. At least with sock length there is a clear right and wrong.

So right you are, it's like Shaving clearly there is a right and a wrong

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With road running the organiser takes on the responsibility of cleaning the route after the race.  Normally the watering point staff walk the 3 km to the next watering point doing a chicken parade for plastic sachets.  Now they place bins at 10 and 20 meters out from the watering point and most runners drink and drop as close or into these bins, however you still get the one guy.

On trail runs now the new approach is to implement the "no cup, no run" policy and to indicate the number of feeding stations to reduce runners bring their own muti on the route.  Also there is a instant DQ if you are found to have deliberately dropped anything on the trail.  Many trail runners also prefer natural food over energy goo's and gels.

Regarding mtb biking, you should be self sufficient on the route, and stop to "bomb up" at feeding stations.  There should be no need for sachets ext.  However, MTBkers like their roadie cousins are addicted to gels and tend to litter these wrappers.

Regarding road cycling, if you need more than two water bottles and two gels on a sub 100km race, then you are not racing, but riding and can thus STOP and fill up at watering points, and thus no need for sachets. Also taking on nutrition on the move is very dangerous and takes a lot of practice and co-ordination, this is why pro teams have dedicated seconds passing the musette to the riders (not recommended on a fun ride).

With road running the organiser takes on the responsibility of cleaning the route after the race.  Normally the watering point staff walk the 3 km to the next watering point doing a chicken parade for plastic sachets.  Now they place bins at 10 and 20 meters out from the watering point and most runners drink and drop as close or into these bins, however you still get the one guy.

On trail runs now the new approach is to implement the "no cup, no run" policy and to indicate the number of feeding stations to reduce runners bring their own muti on the route.  Also there is a instant DQ if you are found to have deliberately dropped anything on the trail.  Many trail runners also prefer natural food over energy goo's and gels.

Regarding mtb biking, you should be self sufficient on the route, and stop to "bomb up" at feeding stations.  There should be no need for sachets ext.  However, MTBkers like their roadie cousins are addicted to gels and tend to litter these wrappers.

Regarding road cycling, if you need more than two water bottles and two gels on a sub 100km race, then you are not racing, but riding and can thus STOP and fill up at watering points, and thus no need for sachets. Also taking on nutrition on the move is very dangerous and takes a lot of practice and co-ordination, this is why pro teams have dedicated seconds passing the musette to the riders (not recommended on a fun ride).

lots of generalisations you have going there. I ride mtb and as of late road too, never even touched a gel sachet in my life, why u dissin?

Three things we never handed out at events plastic bottles and sachets.You want something...stop and top up your own bottles or Camelbak

I don't see that as the issue, people should just not litter period and should not need policing. If you are taking a sachet there are bins or if in a hurry at the very least drink and drop as close to the WP. Failing that stick the empty sachet in your pocket. 

Good feedback I have from guys that have ridden the trails since is that they are clear, so either the GW team or someone else has been busy. 

Edited by scotty

Good feedback I have from guys that have ridden the trails since is that they are clear, so either the GW team or someone else has been busy.

GW use a sweep team, but... that doesn’t mean EVERY sachet/cup was picked up.

• 1 year later...

can all clubs out there please run a campaign to tell your riders that littering is not okay, not even in a race.

cycled behind a bloke fully dressed in a Northcliff Cycles shirt who shamelessly threw tore the tab off the top of a gel sachet, dumped that on the road, sucked the gel and then dropped the empty sachet 200m further.  (Before you flame me for not coaching him on the spot, I got close enough to read his name but not close enough to engage)

if you fit the description, rode in C batch and your name is Nigel (I think), please don't do that again.  It's not okay, no matter how big the race and how many cleaners they may or may not employ to sweep the route afterwards.

edit:  it was on the 947 close to braamfontein

Edited by rudi-h

I will never deliberately litter during a race or a casual ride.

But I have noticed at the end of a ride/race that one of the empty gels in my back pocket has gone missing.

This probably happens from sticking my sweaty glove down the back pocket searching for the next nibbly bit and then accidentally yanking the empty wrapper out with it.

I've started putting my empty wrappers into a different pocket now.

I will never deliberately litter during a race or a casual ride.

But I have noticed at the end of a ride/race that one of the empty gels in my back pocket has gone missing.

This probably happens from sticking my sweaty glove down the back pocket searching for the next nibbly bit and then accidentally yanking the empty wrapper out with it.

I've started putting my empty wrappers into a different pocket now.

For me, clean full gels in right pocket, empty dirty gels in the left pocket. Sometimes take a bar etc on longer rides and they go in the middle pocket.

For me, clean full gels in right pocket, empty dirty gels in the left pocket. Sometimes take a bar etc on longer rides and they go in the middle pocket.

cell phone and keys ? where do they go ?

i land up using only 2 pockets for gels and rubbish as the car key and cellphone reside in one of the other pockets.

Centre pocket for keys, right at the bottom. Cellphone on top of it.

First 2 gels/bars in left pocket, which then turns into the garbage pocket. All other gels and bars go in right pocket.

Works for me.

Centre pocket for keys, right at the bottom. Cellphone on top of it.

First 2 gels/bars in left pocket, which then turns into the garbage pocket. All other gels and bars go in right pocket.

Works for me.

Doesn't your screen get scratched?

Doesn't your screen get scratched?

Important, screen always faces away from the keys... Most times I go the extra length to remove the car key from the bunch and only take the single key, thus no metal parts to scratch things...

Important, screen always faces away from the keys... Most times I go the extra length to remove the car key from the bunch and only take the single key, thus no metal parts to scratch things...

modern plastic key fobs FTW.

but also important to take note wich way the screen is facing