Nice one Gert. Since this was shot Louis managed to close the gap down (from 8 seconds on the day to 1 second as of this morning) so I'm sure he'll be out there giving it his all. 

Some really beautiful shots of a truly awesome trail. View is something else.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there used to be a sign. don't think it's there anymore.

At that point on the trail I'm already in full STRAVASSHOLE mode and don't take note of any signs :ph34r:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Coenie Thomas.

We did our utmost to comply with all trail rules and made every effort to promote trail advocacy in the video and article.

We were granted special privileges by the landowners and club to allow filming possible but the intention was to always keep the video true to the rules of the trail.

We acknowledge our oversight in terms of the rules regarding the road and will make even more effort to comply with all rules when filming for future episodes.

We are privileged to have access to some of the best trails on private land and would like to keep it that way.

Thanks so much Segment Hunter. The road is used by Telkom techies and a few others who drive like they're trying to beat their own strava KOM's.

Good luck to all riding the segment - have fun and be safe!

As much as I love this initiative I have to point out that the rules should be obeyed or it must be made clear that they had special permission to do things differently.

The club rules state that NO ONE is allowed to ride on the cement road.
Yet there is a clear shot of Gert riding down the cement road at 1:29.

This can be an indication to others that it is ok to do that, and it was stated to the membesr that if anyone uses that road access to the trail will be revoked.

You can see this segment on club site: 

You start of with a bit of flat and very tame single track till you hit an intersection which crosses the Telkom concrete access road. Please note this is a mandatory portage section as no riding is allowed on or over the concrete road at any time. walk across the road where you will see the start of the infamous Trail X aka Bloemendaaler aka Bloemslang. URL:www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/bloemendal-trailpark.html

Edit:  Changed the bold sections to make it easier for the Hubbers to see what I wrote and what is on the club site.

Geez, boyscout alert. Relax dude. It's bad enough the way everyone already gets treated in the guilty-until-proven-innocent manner at Tygerberg MTB. No need to get all up in their face about it. 

Very cool video, thanks for the effort guys! And well done to Gert. I'll never be able to get close to that time down there, it's just too much fun fooling around on all the jumps.

Wow, I was contemplating riding Bloemendal or Conters this weekend, but now suddenly I feel like riding jonkers instead. There we don't have to worry about Telkom roads.

Edited by PhilipV

must be a *** ride some real uptight members....keep it.

Good, less congestion on the trail for us that loves to ride it.

BTW, I always walk over the concrete road, not because I'm obeying the "no riding rule" but because I have yet to get the courage together to ride that steep drop off and try and clear that concrete ditch next to the road.  :blush:  :whistling:

Edited by Wannabe

Great video and awesome initiative. Well done the Contego team and for promoting the privileges and responsibilities applicable to us the trail users.

Have not ridden any Western Cape trails yet but will do so one day.

So rules are rules, or are rules sometimes rules?

You lot want to burn every roag rider at the stake, right?

Now IF someone had to ride there and access to that section of trail is removed then everyone want to stone that person again, but if you have a chance of preventing it then the poster is being "uptight"

I don't want to lose access to that trail, so where is your anti-roag supporters now?

As they clarified, it was an oversight and no one should be on that road. Now the risk of someone riding up or down there and using they excuse "but xyz did it in that video" has been reduced.

So rules are rules, or are rules sometimes rules?

You lot want to burn every roag rider at the stake, right?

Now IF someone had to ride there and access to that section of trail is removed then everyone want to stone that person again, but if you have a chance of preventing it then the poster is being "uptight"

I don't want to lose access to that trail, so where is your anti-roag supporters now?

As they clarified, it was an oversight and no one should be on that road. Now the risk of someone riding up or down there and using they excuse "but xyz did it in that video" has been reduced.

no one should be riding on the road, walking yes!?

Good, less congestion on the trail for us that loves to ride it.

BTW, I always walk over the concrete road, not because I'm obeying the "no riding rule" but because I have yet to get the courage together to ride that steep drop off and try and clear that concrete ditch next to the road.  :blush:  :whistling:

I had a nice little OTH on that drop-off when my front wheel got stuck in that little ditch next to the road. That concrete hurts!  :eek:

I nominated the Hoogies Cobra as a segment - come on do it next! It has real rocks in it!

I will second this proposal .... and let us know when filming so we can heckle the riders on with whatever makes a noise from the side of the trial!