Willie Smit

FootballingCyclist

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is this him?

edit: my italian is poor, dont think it is. He did ride for this team though.

http://www.ciclismo.it/moduli/articoli/attachments/2/6/2/00/Grega.jpg_650.jpg

how is it possible to ride a bike with all that campy bling then move back to shimano?

is this him?

edit: my italian is poor, dont think it is. He did ride for this team though.

http://www.ciclismo.it/moduli/articoli/attachments/2/6/2/00/Grega.jpg_650.jpg

Not him , but he did ride for them and have recently been over there again for smaller teams.Have occasionally done rides with him. I think I will never beat my PB on one section of flat he kept going at 60-70km/hour for about 10 km , was fastest I have done on long flat road ever I think.

Edited by Cheese

• 3 months later...

Havent seen much coverage of it and its due to the lack of coverage that I dont really know if I have my facts straight, but it seems like Willie Smit has had some good results over in Spain of late. If I'm not mistaken he came second in one race and then first in another.

I have no idea how competitive that scene is, but surely this is something to be celebrated?

If you can read Spanish, this article might have some more info on it, and if not, then just enjoy the photo:

http://www.clubciclistariasbaixas.com/index.php/16-latest/1070-doblete-del-club-ciclista-rias-baixas-en-aguilar-de-campoo-triunfo-de-willem-y-titulo-autonomico-para-nanclares

Also:

I have no idea how competitive that scene is, but surely this is something to be celebrated?

Its very tough in Spain. The results he has been getting are very impressive. He bagged a 4th yesterday as well.

Edited by pe3nguin

• 3 months later...

can we make this the official Willie Smit Fan thread.

i just think there will be more to this story from here on!

ps. looks like Bicycling updated the article to indicate his signing with Katusha, but didn't mention the update, so it gets confusing that they talk about his racing plans for 2017, allthough racing is mostly over now.

• 1 year later...

I just felt like revisiting this thread and having a read through it again. He has come on in leaps and bounds since joining the WT scene. His work ethic is insane, His YouTube channel is also very cool for the mere mortal sitting behind a desk to check out and get n inside scoop on things.

I am excited to see him on the WT next season and what he has to offer.

PS, Great job John W. :thumbup: