[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

How perfect was the weather! 

Really enjoyed the day out, but for some reason I found that there was less supporters and gees this year on the side of the roads... was it just me? 

Very sad to hear about the riders who went down. Sending condolences to the families. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow what a day. We arrived late and started in a lower batch. Luckily in 5c there aren't too many people pushing for sub 3s so we were the fast people chasing our sub 4s. Managed to stay safe and my wife cracked her sub 4 on her second tour.

Rode past the heart attack scene and still have the poor guys face etched in my mind. Condolences to his family and those of the other victims.

General standard of riding in the lower batches was atrocious. Hogging the right hand side on climbs and descents.

Had a great run from Llandudno to the finish with that tail wind.

Well done all!

From the Cycle Tour:

"Statement from David Bellairs regarding the Cape Town Cycle Tour marshal:

We have received the sad news that late yesterday afternoon one of our Rotary marshalls passed away in hospital. He was stationed on an S-bend after the Llundudno turnoff. The circumstances surrounding the incident are unclear and we are currently investigating the incident in conjunction with the South African Police Services.

Our Rotary marshalls have always been integral to the successful running of the Cape Town Cycle Tour. Most of them work alongside us year after year in a voluntary capacity. They are part of the Cycle Tour family, as are our riders, and we are deeply saddened by this news. We ask for respect for the family’s privacy at this time. We will communicate further information when we have it, if appropriate.

For the vast majority of our cyclists and those working behind the scenes, the 2018 Cape Town Cycle Tour reached a successful culmination after months of hard work. But three families are in mourning for the three lives lost on the route this year. One cyclist succumbed to his wounds at the scene of a pileup with other cyclists at the base of Wynberg Hill, another is suspected to have experienced a heart attack going up the hill at Smitswinkel Bay, and, as stated, we are awaiting confirmation regarding the marshall.

I want to assure everyone that all measures are taken to ensure participants’ and marshalls’ safety on the route. In my 28 years working on the Cycle Tour, there have been only 2 trauma related deaths on the day of Cycle Tour. Our hearts and prayers are with the families at this very sad time. We have extended our most sincere condolences."

I had such a great day and a great ride, rode in a bunch with some good comradery, just very sad that lives were lost in the same event.

Sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the riders and marshal, your lives have been changed forever. Strength in the days ahead!

That was a fantastic day out with regards to the weather.

I was aiming for a sub 3h30, but for some reason I felt that around Misty Cliffs and through Camps Bay I was going far too slow than usual. Finished in 3h42.

The wind must have picked up more and for me it actually felt like I was riding into the wind towards the end.

I was shocked when I heard the sad news about the 3 people passing away.

Condolences to their family and may they RIP

I saw on Strava flyby that at least one person did the 2nd lap without going through the proper start. 

Do they then have to take off their racetec chip?  Or don't they verify that someone rode the race without having legally paid for the participation ?

I arrived at my chute 20min prior to start and then got bumped down to 3B. Slightly irritated and judging by the unapproachable 'tannies' manning the clipboards I accepted my fate and sat there for almost an hour. Some people really threw a hissy fit about that setup. I am surprised no-one has started a Friday thread as yet.

Edited by Cippo

Just on the line issue:

If someone behind you shouts for you to hold you line or whatever, ignore them. your are in front of them and they should make their way around you.

If you are behind someone, expect they are going to ride like a box and mange it. no point in shouting at them as you may give them a skrik and then all kinds of K@k could happen. Also if you are riding in the slower groups i.e. below A, the dude in front of you could suddenly cramp up and just fall over.

I have yet to hear hold you line in the racing groups. Yes a lot of swearing and pushing and shoving but that is all.

Very sad to hear about the incidents and passings on. In all my years of riding, I cannot remember the fatality count being so high.

I am looking for some info on a rider that went down on the M3 just as we were about to hit the flat section of the blue route. The rider, I think from 2K, was riding behind me. I heard scraping sounds, managed to steal a quick glance behind, and saw him totally out of control and veering towards the side of the road. It all looked extremely nasty. I was told later he'd hit a cateye and his helmet had broken apart on impact.

If anyone has any info on this rider's condition, please can I ask you to PM me.

And if there are some wondering why I didn't stop to assist - no medical training, no medical equipment, and stopping on a very quick part of the route is not recommended.

Actually, if I am asking you to hold your line it is because I am making a plan to come around you and doing you the courtesy of warning you that I am doing so.

I passed many riders yesterday and all were thankful for the warning calls.

A few random thoughts..

To those okes who always do a 3:05 or thereabouts - this was your big chance for a sub-3, we certainly won't have weather like this every year.

From where I was riding interesting to see (in general) 1C doing faster times than 1B doing faster times than 1A and all 3 groups bunching up after Smits - hare and hound effect? Think the group just go that little faster if there is a big target in sight. (Those groups also caught a lot of @ and & riders)

1A, 1B and 1C supposed to be riders with seeding indexes higher than 15 but there were quite a few familiar names there who are super strong riders - result of the new PPA seeding system where your seeding drop rapidly if you miss a few races?

You need to remember that each "Batch" is its own race.

Generally batches are seeded with riders of similar ability, and it all comes down to the specific rider tactics/teams?/willingness-to-work-together/personal-agendas etc.

Just because C catches B, or B catches up to A, certainly doesnt mean the batches are seeded incorrectly, or the lower riders are better than those in higher batches.

The problem really lies with the organization in the fact that each batch only has 2 minutes separating it from the next, and this affects the "racing" going on in each batch as once they amalgamate, it really becomes a total mess.

If batch B catches batch A, then in an ideal world B should be allowed to pass A unhindered, so that the "racing" in each batch can continue.

This never happens (except when commissaires usually instruct groups to allow faster elite groups such as the Elite Ladies for instance, to pass them in road races)

Proper racing with all its intrigue, cat and mouse games, attacks, and counters is great fun, but sadly doesnt happen outside the Elite and racing vets groups...

Actually, if I am asking you to hold your line it is because I am making a plan to come around you and doing you the courtesy of warning you that I am doing so.

I passed many riders yesterday and all were thankful for the warning calls.

Could not agree more. We did the same asked nicely and thanked them by name afterwards

I was slightly undertained going in this year, had a migraine on Saturday afternoon so wasn't 100% either. Wow, riding through St. James, Kalk Bay and round to Simonstown again reminded me what a special event this is - absolute pearler of a day and always so much gees!! Was pretty blown up by the top of Suiker and had to nurse myself to the finish for a 03:15 which is at least an improvement on my PB.

Really sad to hear about the three people who passed away. RIP.

Do they then have to take off their racetec chip?  Or don't they verify that someone rode the race without having legally paid for the participation ?

Not sure, from what recall the rules are you may not ride twice as this will lead to disqualification? Obviously those who were offered the chance and paid for it is another story. But I would imagine if they pick up a rider on a 2nd lap without having paid for it there will be trouble. 

Condolences to the two fallen riders and one marshall. Went past the crash on M3 and saw medics doing CPR.

A few raves:

The new start location is excellent! No more criss crossing trying to enter one's shute.

I got my tenth medal - whoplaa!

Rants

Can't think of any!

is this marshall death story true? there's been ZERO mention of it in the mainstream media, even capetalk referenced D Bellairs as saying too ppl passed away during the event. Is the focus/importance only on the wellbeing of the participants, and the marshalls only so much as sacrificial anodes, or is the story fake news?

Please quote a reputable source.