[Event] 2018 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup Stellenbosch

Events Bot

Keep a close eye on Mathieu van der Poel during this WC season (Cyclocross phenom and grandson of road legend Raymond Poulidor). He completely annihilated his competitors during the CX season except for one race where he was racing after recovering from flu and the other race was at CX World Champs where he lost to Wout van Aert.

Mathieu van der Poel started in the 5th row this weekend and sprinted up into 5th position after the first lap and finished in 4th. Insane!!

Edit

He's only 23 years old (born 19 January 1995).

Sam Gaze started in 30th position :eek:

Mathieu van der Poel in 47th

p5pb15680348.jpg

But they are all sulke maergatte, how are we fatter okes supposed to compete with them?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The initial contract is apparently for two years. So next year should happen unless something changes there. I reckon all parties involved will be looking at this past event before further discussions.

Your thoughts, Nick?

Crowd attendance rocked.

Facilities rocked.

Public safety rocked.

Distance to airport rocked.

Course was stunning and beautiful.

My due diligence done.

I'm keen to see how the trails look today, seeing as it is part of my daily commute home. There will no doubt be plenty of fine dust about  :clap:

A few things they need to look at for next time:-

1. To little crowd control. People were crossing the track everywhere, and mostly because there were not enough controlled crossing points.

2. The queues at the food stalls were way too long. The Spur tent at the rock garden ran out of food already during the women's race.

3. Temporary viewing stands at the rock garden and Pick Up Sticks would allow more spectators to view the action.

I'm keen to see how the trails look today, seeing as it is part of my daily commute home. There will no doubt be plenty of fine dust about  :clap:

As good an excuse as ever to rather go to Jonkershoek

I cannot fault the race at all.

I still think the 'technical sections' are too short to really make passing at the front end viable. Guys gain very little time between the A and B line in a shoot out. 

Some of the climbs need to be longer as well... That said it raced fast and really exciting so nothing too much to point fingers at.

Having been really lucky to watch the 1st few races from the VIP areas and the main event in the feed/tech zone, I cannot fault the set up and organization at all.

It seemed superb... But that may just be the free snacks talking!

What a day and so proud to have been a part of it. Next year is already penned in on the event calendar with indelible marker.. the gold one! 

Edited by Jewbacca

Now that everyone is XCO crazy, will we see a bigger turnout for Saterdays WP XCO at Rheebokskloof? Hope so!

highly doubt it 

But they are all sulke maergatte, how are we fatter okes supposed to compete with them?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

We should have a Fat-Oke-XC series with riders that must have a minimum body weight.